Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last 2 hunts: First gold of year, 11 silvers, 8 buffalo nickels, 1 V nickel

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Maybe this is too wordy? But here you go.

Was able to get out a couple times this weekend to the silver beach. Day 1 didn’t give too much. The first good find was a Zeta Pi Omega ring. Must’ve been a sorority girl wearing it back in the day. 99% sure it is marked “STER” on the band. Then moved to another part of the beach that has good potential, but there’s a lot of deep, frustrating junk. Did manage a 1964 quarter. Toward the end of the hunt got a V Nickel, 1912 I believe, and a nice piece of vintage sterling jewelry. Some of the marcasite is still there. No markings, and no idea what it connected to. Any ideas?

Day 2 had some pretty good weather. Although a few keepers came out on Day 1, I was a little disappointed. Thought the Silver Beach could be nearing its productive life’s end. But had to give it one more shot before giving it a break. Within a half hour a vintage brass ring came out, then a nice old silver ring with some kind of stone (stone came out while cleaning, so you don’t see it in the pics). Then got a nice low tone and finally saw some gold color come out. It was a bit discolored, so I hoped it was solid. Hard to tell at this place as 10k and 14k can come out tarnished. Put it away and kept going. Found quite a few keepers. I was very surprised how much came out. Got another brass ring, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 silver dimes, and another sterling ring. The second sterling ring is pretty cool with a nice design around the band, and a dangle heart. The TDI SL keeps sniffing out nickels. Got EIGHT buffalo nickels and 9 Jefferson nickels. Also got 3 wheat cents (and 3 memorials and one clad dime). Also got a lead soldier.

Got home and saw the 14k mark on the ring! It’s 6.5 grams. Cleaned up the silver coins and took pics of some of the cookie debris that came off. Looks like a brockage.

Alright, enough rambling. But first gold of the year is checked off, and the Silver Beach has redeemed itself! HH all.

Oh yeah, that broken thing is a Chinese coin.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is amazing how much you keep pulling from that beach.... must have been well used for

many years..... I wish you continued good fortune...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the gold isn't eaten up
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    What a haul!
    Congrats on the first gold of the year....may there be many more.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well its a start thats for sure image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It certainly warrants another trip back there. May be able to hit it next week.

Got the video up of finding the ring. It's nothing special. For some reason when I made these videos using Windows Live Movie Maker it comes out looking more shaky than they are. Will have to play around to see what I can do.

Video Here
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a big bunch of stuff!

Wassup with that weird negative-impression 1957 quarter... almost like a mold or something? Strange... and cool!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It's a small sheet of the "cookie" material that builds up on the outside of the coin (most often in salt water). Sometimes when it comes off you can see a cool negative impression of the coin. It's fragile, so not sure how long I can keep it, but I've often wondered if it contains silver that is leached (leeched?) out of the coin. In the reverse reverse image you can see silver coloring.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

That's some sweet stuff!
    The Zeta Pi Omega ring is fascinating. Your other sterling ring is very nice too.
    Interesting, old silver rings like those are almost as good as gold, in my opinion!

Not sure what the mystery sterling item is. Maybe from a tie clip or something like that?

Oh, and congrats on the gold of course! Conditions sure are harsh out there when 14k gold gets tarnished like that.

The crusty impressions of the quarter are fantastic!
    They definitely contain silver. As an example, I've dug an 1875 silver coin in salt water that had some serious crust just like that.
    After getting it off, the coin inside was still identifiable but was less than half its original thickness and weight. I'm pretty sure I have a picture of it halfway through the crust removal process. If I find it, I will post it. May prove difficult, as it's sitting on a memory hard or old hard disk somewhere.

Edited to add: I also looked at your video of the gold ring. I must say you display admirable self-restraint putting it away and looking at it later at home.
    If I found a potential gold ring in broad daylight like that, there's no way I wouldn't mess with it until I figured out if it's gold or not. image
    Potential silver rings I frequently put away, as they may need more cleaning - especially when found on a beach. Gold rings: no way!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69

It's a small sheet of the "cookie" material that builds up on the outside of the coin (most often in salt water). Sometimes when it comes off you can see a cool negative impression of the coin. It's fragile, so not sure how long I can keep it, but I've often wondered if it contains silver that is leached (leeched?) out of the coin. In the reverse reverse image you can see silver coloring.

Interesting, Thanks for the explanation.

Would a heavy spray of clear laquer hold it together?