Home Precious Metals
Options

Does a Tube of ASE MS69 First Strike maintain its pre?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
At least $5.99 or more over spot each in a tube. So is it worth the wait for silver to go up that high to overcome the premium? I mean if the spot price is going up enough to make it worth the resell, the premium would be going down as well. Better to just get plain ole new ones at the best price possible?I have some in the slab I paid a $1 over for and they get cloudy.

Linky
COA

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tube of graded ASE's? Never seen one of those.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins might not come back out of the tube as 69's. Room for banging against each other. I wouldn't pay any more for them, nor would I certify them in this type storage.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They store nicely in a Dansco and can be held and appreciated for years to come , this way. Also, who goes to a den to read books ? Geeks ! image That's right. I have my view. Otherwise, stack them tightly together in tubes which fit into a box called a "monster" One roll per each year will secure your craving for a long time to come. I'm trying to stack…, but I have a business to run. So, in essence I miss a lot of fun.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all why would anyone pay 5.99 for an ASE graded ms69 ?image

Second of all even if someone would , these are not in slabs so once the roll is opened how would anyone know what they supposedly were?

Does that piece of tape actually mean that someone at PCGS opened a roll and graded every coin in it then put them back? I'd assume in a roll of 20 there would be a 70 or 68 , if there was do they take a 69 from somewhere else to get the roll back up to 20?

Its 2016 its time for the first strike thing to die already

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA

Tube of graded ASE's? Never seen one of those.

here ya go
  • Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

Coins might not come back out of the tube as 69's. Room for banging against each other. I wouldn't pay any more for them, nor would I certify them in this type storage.

The raised rim is supposed to prevent surface contact between coins, no? Never seen where this was an issue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

Does that piece of tape actually mean that someone at PCGS opened a roll and graded every coin in it then put them back? I'd assume in a roll of 20 there would be a 70 or 68 , if there was do they take a 69 from somewhere else to get the roll back up to 20?

I expect that's exactly what they do and what they should do if you are paying for that service. They grade as 70s or 69s and everything else. Some 69s get put back into tubes and sealed and others are slabbed.

• Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

The raised rim is supposed to prevent surface contact between coins, no? Never seen where this was an issue.

correct, no damage if stacked tight. Mint tube allows a bit of slop for coins to rattle and bounce up and down. And, possibility of further dings putting them back in the tube and when removing them. Not the way I want my graded coins packaged.

• Options

I expect that's exactly what they do and what they should do if you are paying for that service. They grade as 70s or 69s and everything else. Some 69s get put back into tubes and sealed and others are slabbed.

69 tubes are probably the result of a bulk submission. Instructions: "slab the 70's, tube the 69's, return the 68's and below ungraded."

• Options

If coins are not in a slab then they are not graded . You want to grade a whole roll at once make a slab with room for 20 coins , I pay to grade 20 coins a "sticker" doesn't cut it.

These are marketed towards people that buy coins off the coin vault tv channel. I was awake late the other night and those 2 idiots were offering a half roll of 40% half dollars for the low low price of 79.95.

I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't 1980 because I'm thinking silver would need to be about 50 bucks an ounce for that to be a good deal
  • Options

correct, no damage if stacked tight. Mint tube allows a bit of slop for coins to rattle and bounce up and down. And, possibility of further dings putting them back in the tube and when removing them. Not the way I want my graded coins packaged.

Does PCGS put something in the tube to pack the coins down so they don't rattle? It's a lot easier to tube and untube ASEs than it used to be. They used to be so tight that it was really tough to get them out. Now one can carefully stack them [obverse side down] on a piece of cardboard and slide the tube over the coins.
  • Options

69 tubes are probably the result of a bulk submission. Instructions: "slab the 70's, tube the 69's, return the 68's and below ungraded."

Some 69s are also slabbed. I expect that this is a APMEX bulk submission drop shipped from the mint in early 2014.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Great comments. I agree. The email made it seem like the Tube combo was never offered before. And hey, there's a reason for that.

I personally play with my toys and I can't resist pulling that green tape off the tube and sticking it back on
    after I spill them out to look at them, put the foam back in.

COA
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

First of all why would anyone pay 5.99 for an ASE graded ms69 ?image

Second of all even if someone would , these are not in slabs so once the roll is opened how would anyone know what they supposedly were?

Its 2016 its time for the first strike thing to die already

Its funny first strike sounds like a military term, it is a total fraud...

• Options
    Originally posted by: USASoccer

Its funny first strike sounds like a military term, it is a total fraud...

I know right? How about Shock and AWWWWWWWWWW

Shock that anyone thinks slabbed ASE's are worth more than loose ASE's , the AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW when you go to sell them and realize they aren'timage

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chance in hell are those tubes worth the price. Should be sold as raw tubes, a 69 to me on an ASE is the same as buying raw blind.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if it gets opened, the already useless grades on a roll, to me, are void.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 430 tubes left...come and get themimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DrBuster

No chance in hell are those tubes worth the price. Should be sold as raw tubes, a 69 to me on an ASE is the same as buying raw blind.

Of course not everyone is as astute as those of us here.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my monster boxes came sealed & strapped. In both cases, I let them age like fine wine for a couple of years before opening them up just to take a roll out and look at a few of the coins. I lost out on all of those First Strikes!!!!!!!

sarc/off
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.