Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Steph Curry RCs

They just keep rising and rising; particularly the Topps/Topps Chrome issues. When would you sell?

Comments

• StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    I'm not into basketball, but why is the Topps card in 3 figures? Are they SP? I always thought Topps was the brand that you can pick up a cheap base rookie in any sport.
  • The day after the Warriors win their second straight championship in a couple months.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I kept a Topps and saw them selling for $80 and thought no way they would go higher and sold it. Well, my buddy told me they bring $100. A regular topps card, wow. I have two studios I kept and just listed them in a lot.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly not now. If they eclipse the Bulls' 72-10.....and if they go back-to-back.....and when (not if) Curry wins his second consecutive MVP, it'll get sillier than it is now.

Edit: This was a $60 card a few months ago, and that's his "bottom of the barrel" Topps base.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap on the PWCC base 10! Mid playoff run last year I bought a raw one for about $12. It graded a 9. I grabbed a Gold for 27. It also 9'd. I missed on about a dozen other base as the playoff run continued because I'd set a ceiling of 20, and they kept going for 21-25. I only ended up with the first, as I figured better to put that money towards the Chrome, than overpay for a base in the heat of the playoffs. What a friggin idiot I now think out loud. I did eventually get the Chrome (at PSA now), but missing those others over a few bucks is stinging a lil bit.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topps Chrome base is # 999 and refractors #500 He's the best in the world right now even better then King James. Kids around the USA love Steph Curry. They're wearing his jersey as far as Maine.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • The Curry Topps cards aren't as plentiful as you may think. I think the card is going to go up some more.

184 Curry Topps rookies have been graded by BGS

4247 Kobe Topps rookies have been graded by BGS

3126 LeBron Topps rookies have been graded by BGS

PSA Grading Pop:

Curry - 101

Kobe - 5539

LeBron - 2063
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • I envision an epic battle for hormone fueled hobby supremacy between low pop Curry RC gems and '86 Topps FB boxes FASC.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    The base Topps RC is not as plentiful as most other years of Topps basketball. I am not sure why that is the case but it just is. Also, while the front is white the back of the card is black and very prone to chipping so getting a 10 on that card is very difficult for a modern card. The Gold Topps is numbered to 2009 and the Chrome and gold Chrome and refractors are even more limited. I am in the same boat as Jim in that I missed on a ton of his cards over the past year by a few bucks and it now looks ridiculous as I could have bought countless examples for $25-30 just 6 months ago.
    Steve
  • Crazy prices but what else can he do to keep having prices increase?
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I had been loyal to Topps/Topps Chrome basketball since the 90s, and upon hearing that 2009 was the last year they would be made, I went in big on them. I have all of the sets completed. I just wish I had stocked up on extra Currys instead of Blake Griffins.
  • byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Blake Griffin hype is why so much was opened initially which makes it that much rarer now
    Want some sickness? With a PER of 32.93 thru 58 games, Curry is on pace to have the most efficient season in the history of the NBA:

1. Wilt Chamberlain (1962-63)......... 31.82

2. Wilt Chamberlain (1961-62)......... 31.74

3. Michael Jordan (1987-88)............ 31.71

4. LeBron James (2008-09)............. 31.67

5. Michael Jordan (1990-91)............ 31.63
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Additional sickness....
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    His line would be even more separated from the rest if it was minutes played, rather than games, at the bottom axis. I think he's up to 16 games where he sat out the entire 4th quarter... some special stuff!!
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: baz518
    His line would be even more separated from the rest if it was minutes played, rather than games, at the bottom axis. I think he's up to 16 games where he sat out the entire 4th quarter... some special stuff!!

That's correct. Think about that.... He's essentially not played 4 games.
    Matt
    Love me some vintage basketball, but not very knowledgeable about the newer stuff. Other than the Topps, which are his better base rookies?
  • Originally posted by: RookieHOFers
    The Curry Topps cards aren't as plentiful as you may think. I think the card is going to go up some more.

184 Curry Topps rookies have been graded by BGS

4247 Kobe Topps rookies have been graded by BGS

3126 LeBron Topps rookies have been graded by BGS

PSA Grading Pop:

Curry - 101

Kobe - 5539

LeBron - 2063

Was thinking about this the other day, when you and i spoke about this at the show last year image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Gotta admit I've caught me the Stephen Curry fever. I've not followed much basketball the last 10 years but this guy and this team has me interested in catching the scores every night. I feel the NBA is only as popular as its most popular and marketable players and Curry is bringing something to the game that LeBron and others don't. Curry has the ability to up the ante every other game and has everyone talking. I don't think the league has had someone like that since Jordan. Add to that Curry is just a really good dude and can make a good role model and you have something special.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information about the Topps cards having a lower print run. Good stuff. I bought a few Topps sets a while ago. I need a Topps Chrome card for a couple of my registry sets.
  • i paid 175 for this last year.

Sure, i could have bought more, but then it would have tanked! LOL
    Congrats on the quad 9.5 Eric. That is a great card. You made a terrific investment with that card! Wish I would have done that.
    Steve
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Thanks Steve!

Something about a broken clock and twice a day? image
    Love me some vintage basketball, but not very knowledgeable about the newer stuff. Other than the Topps, which are his better base rookies?

Upper Deck base RC is probably second then UD First Edition then Panini Studio and their base brand for non-auto, non-GU stuff.
  • Originally posted by: billwaltonsbeard

When would you sell?

For the immediate future I'd suggest sometime during Happy Hour.

WOW...I have to imagine someone was thinking it's a Chrome?

Here is an article ranking his best RC's. I don't know how accurate the rankings are, but it is interesting seeing the different cards as I didn't know about many of them. I am partial to the Topps/Topps Chrome and Bowman RC's. After that I would probably go Upper Deck and then Panini products for the non-auto/base cards.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2015/11/most-valuable-stephen-curry-rookie-cards-ranked/
    Steve
    Originally posted by: vintagefun

I thought that price was insane too, but there had to be two people who bid over $1050 for the price to get there. There were also two more bidders that dropped out at $800+ and two more at $700+ so we better get used to this being the new normal. I will say that I think PSA 10's on this card are tough for a modern card, 34 out of 113 graded got tens.
    Steve
    Originally posted by: slum22
    Originally posted by: vintagefun

I thought that price was insane too, but there had to be two people who bid over $1050 for the price to get there. There were also two more bidders that dropped out at $800+ and two more at $700+ so we better get used to this being the new normal. I will say that I think PSA 10's on this card are tough for a modern card, 34 out of 113 graded got tens.

I'm really surprised by this. I can't believe his base Topps is bringing over a grand. I bought two PSA 10's Chromes for $300 each about this time last year.
    Matt
    This one is going for a crossover review later this month.

Matt
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    NIIIIIICE!!!! Ive had great success with crossing over BGS True Gems
    Wow, phenomenal card Matt.
    Steve
  • SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    So a few days ago I went looking for Curry base Topps rc after my friend told me how much they are going for. Found a 6-8 inch stack of 09-10 Topps base in a box, but with all the rc pulled. No idea where the rc went. Fortunately in another box I found all the parallels. 78 gold /2009 with 0 Curry. Out of the 22 chromes/chrome refractors that I pulled from 2 boxes of HTA jumbo that I opened when they came out I found 1 chrome Curry and 1 chrome refractor image Now the big decision to sell now and join the growing list of cards I wish I held onto or hold it and probably see the price drop. Sort of funny that one of my most valuable cards was just in a penny sleeve in a monster box until a few days ago.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SlangNRox
    So a few days ago I went looking for Curry base Topps rc after my friend told me how much they are going for. Found a 6-8 inch stack of 09-10 Topps base in a box, but with all the rc pulled. No idea where the rc went. Fortunately in another box I found all the parallels. 78 gold /2009 with 0 Curry. Out of the 22 chromes/chrome refractors that I pulled from 2/2+? boxes of HTA that I opened when they came out I found 1 chrome Curry and 1 chrome refractor image Now the big decision to sell now and join the growing list of cards I wish I held onto or hold it and probably see the price drop. Sort of funny that one of my most valuable cards was just in a penny sleeve in a monster box until a few days ago.

Awesome!! That's the kind of story that makes me justify keeping all the cards from random blaster boxes etc. that I open, even though at the time, I'm always tempted to just toss them.
    Plucked these off of eBay a few months ago from a prescient (or lucky) dealer who had been sitting on a case. Hoping they wander into the realm of a poor man's 86F down the road.

I see what you mean by the tough black borders on the back. I can see some white on them on the corners. So I did some counting/research and It looks like I only opened 2 HTA jumbo boxes based on how many numbered cards I have. Crazy that each jumbo pack had 4 parallels and 1 chrome. Just based on the number of parallels per box the production had to be low for the base rc. Now I just have to find my Curry base rc since I should've pulled around 880 base cards, but only found 1 card with the rookie card banner on it. Should be 2-3 Curry's in there if I can ever find them.

I dug out what I had for Curry (no Topps) and will eventually be selling them all. There gave been many great players whose cards cool even when they continue to be good, just because there's someone new on the scene
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: galaxy27

Plucked these off of eBay a few months ago from a prescient (or lucky) dealer who had been sitting on a case. Hoping they wander into the realm of a poor man's 86F down the road.

Nice score. One never knows where it's headed. That's what great about the hobby. Never know who may evolve for future value. Today's new is tomorrows vintage. Wonder how many vintage investors are riding this new/shiney card wave. The box price seems to be challenging some vintage baseball boxes in price.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 1500+. Well hush my mouth.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    his Topps base rookie cards are still running hard. They're about $80 more expensive than last week!
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Base Topps are pulling $250-$300. It's like Linsanity all over again, but with a proven player. That will be a $25 card in a years time.
  • My imagination is running wild. I'm envisioning a lot of Average Joes in my mind, those people who remain dedicated to purchasing and collecting cards every year with basically no forethought to value as much as just the pure enjoyment of gathering and assembling as a means of supporting a hobby.

Then, one morning another loud roar envelopes the premises as a lucky person discovers that a land mine is sitting in the bedroom closet and it needs to be detonated before it's too late.

"Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Where'dja put them notebooks?!?!?!? We got a bigun here!!!! Yeehaw!!!!!!!! Steph Curry gonna feed us some cows this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Unopened hasn't slowed down either... regular boxes (UD/Panini/Bowman) have probably added $50 in the last week. Crazy to think I bought my boys a rack box each (Panini and Panini Prestige) for Christmas this year, $49.95 each from Blowout... they're going for over $200 now. They still haven't opened them yet (must get that from their dad), thinking about asking if they want me to sell them to fund a Xbox One or something... lol.

• sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Imagine if you are sitting on a lot of 100+ base Topps Curry RCs. That's $25,000-$30,000 right now. Probably could have been had for $1 to $3 each not all that long ago. Just nuts.
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    could it be possible that the print run for 2009-2010 Topps Basketball is less than print run for 1986 fleer Basketball? There may be less Topps Curry rookies than Jordan rookies out there. How many people on this board have a box of unopened box of 2009 Topps Basketball ?
    I have a pair of Blasters left. A bit surprised that the current prices haven't chased out more. Leads me to believe there's not a ton of it. There's a hobby box listed at 10k and a Blaster for over 700. Just nuts.
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    Whats even more crazy is when I do a search for 2009 topps Stephen Curry on Ebay, I get 119 listings, and when I do a search for 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan I get 415 listings (though some are for the sticker too) but still you would think with crazy run up in Curry prices, there would be tons more for sale, but there are not. How big was demand for 2009 topps basketball in 2009? I think the demand, and hence supply, was very limited. Just not as many collectors of new cards as 20 years ago and I am sure print runs reflect that. Curry appears to be this generations Jordan and is well on his way to multiple NBA championships. Maybe its too early to predict, but he might be the once every 30 year player that comes along and becomes an icon, but he does seem to be liked by every young basketball fan. Even though its hard to fathom, I think the reason the Topps base card price is staying so high is that there simply is not enough supply to meet demand. I dont think people have stacks of 50 Curry rookies like they did of baseball rookies back in the day. Perhaps prices will drop back down under $100, but perhaps, there really just isnt the supply out there. If so, why isnt it flooding the market with PSA 10s getting $1,000 plus. Its not a condition sensitive card. I think you probably have a pretty good shot of getting a 10 or 9 for any Curry you pull out of a pack if you submit to PSA.

Count me in the crowd of "why didnt I buy at least one Curry rookie sometime over the past 7 years"
    Just based on the hobby/HTA jumbo odds of pulling chrome cards (110 card chrome set, /999 /500 refractor /50 gold /1 super and 9 per hobby box, 10 per jumbo box) I expect just over 14k of each base card. Add in retail and maybe double that amount.

999+500+50+1 =1550 of each chrome card X 110 card set
    170,500 chrome cards.
    Assuming the same distribution amongst all types of hobby boxes, I calculated from the HTA jumbo boxes that I opened. 44 base per jumbo pack, 330 card set. 170,500 X 44 divided by 330 =14,520 of each base card.

The Topps sell sheet doesn't list the retail odds. It only states that the 1/1 super-fractors are hobby only. This would decrease the base cards found in hobby since not all the chromes were in hobby boxes. I assume the chromes were distributed with far worse odds in retail. Wouldn't surprise me if there are less than 30k of each base card printed which I would think is tiny for a base topps card.

Here's where I got my details on the jumbo boxes which match my pulls from 2 boxes, except I beat the 1/pack chrome by getting 11 in each 10 pack box. http://www.blowoutcards.com/in...2_737&products_id=3276

Now I just have to hunt for my base rc to find the Currys. Can't believe I pulled all the rc from the other base cards and have no idea where theyare at