Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pick a coin from any big dealers website and 1 year later?

If you went to any big national dealers website and looked thru the coins offered and picked one and write a check for the asking price where do you think you would be in 6 months or 12 months if you wanted to get out in 10 days? This is not a thread about overpriced coins probably more on how confident are you in the coin market. I used the big dealers for the example because they should have nice quality coins and a pulse on the market . I know you can go local shows cherry pick, cut deals etc. This is not about that type of transaction.
Mark
NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"

Comments

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start. A common date non-cherrypick regular run of the mill coin (non-dreck) you would lose 30%.

Just a guess.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A year ago, you buy a coin at retail? Still underwater if you have to sell at today's wholesale level.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall that about two years ago there was something going on with common date Morgans in MS64-65 that caused prices to rise quickly for a short while, so you never know what might happen. I guess all I'm saying is that sometimes the market can change without warning based on things which are totally out of anyone's control.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming no uptick in coin market you would be offered roughly about 60% -70% (could be a lot less) of what you paid if shopping the coin around the bourse getting a number of offers. I offer (bid in auction) 60%- 70% of what I think I can sell a coin for based on inventory needs, current market conditions. If you auctioned the coin off ebay you might realize 70% of cost or even much less. Coins are a retail hobby (just like model trains or planes) and cost plus about 40% is an industry norm. Sadly, at shows I see people in a forced sell situation taking these kinds of hits.......If your hobby is numismatics, I hope your well off. At least you will get something for your coins when it comes time to sell (hopefully more or at least getting some exposure to online selling, taking a table at a show) vs a hobby like strip clubbing or sports season tickets where what you spend is gone forever. There is no Santa or Mother Teresa to feel sorry for you in numismatics so shopping around, doing hour homework, and investing wisely in your budget is vital. Because the other guy spends money on big ticket coins does not mean you should. He is only going to take a much harder fall if pressed to sell, too bad so sad.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this respect, I'd be rich.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially attractive coins: you can always sell them in select venues for just about or more than what you paid for them.

All other coins: you're always gonna take a haircut and/or get hosed!

TRUTH

• Options
    Originally posted by: Sonorandesertrat
    A year ago, you buy a coin at retail? Still underwater if you have to sell at today's wholesale level.

Make it up on volume.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SeattleSlammer

Especially attractive coins: you can always sell them in select venues for just about or more than what you paid for them.

All other coins: you're always gonna take a haircut and/or get hosed!

TRUTH

I went through the fresh offerings of one of the nation's biggest and most well known high end dealers one time and found numerous coins I could sell for more money the next day. I wish I had bought more. It happens. For instance, I paid them full CDN "ask" for an NGC MS63 1839 no drapery half at that time which was $12,500. I flipped the coin a few weeks later for $14,500. The final joke was on me though as that same buyer sold their collection only 6 months later and got over $20K for that coin (then crossed over into PCGS 63). I've been on both the giving and receiving end of such transactions. Back when under-graded coins were much easier to find in slabs, it wasn't hard to resubmit/crack out, wait a month, and then double up on what you bought. Most transactions don't work out that easily. Many are certainly a struggle to get back what you paid. It helps to be doing that in a rising market (ie 2002-2008). If I knew I was going to be down more than 10% the next day when buying a coin, I wouldn't buy it. My comfort zone is to be within 10% (longer term holds) and ideally around 0%. Not building a collection, and considering a wide range of coins, you can do this. If I pick out Gene Gardner as an example. I'd say most of what he bought at auction or from major dealers (1990's through 2013) was within that 0-10% range. Sometimes, the coin was worth more the day after he bought it.

The vast majority of coins I bought from local shops in the past 15 years were bought with the intention to sell for more either immediately or in a couple of months. I'd say that about 75% of them worked out well. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. When I was visiting my favorite B&M several times each month from 2002-2011 I typically spent $1K-$2K average every visit. Some days I spent over $10K. They weren't the type that wanted to sit on anything for months, especially if it was bigger dollars. They needed to keep the cash flow rolling so they could swing big bullion deals whenever they showed up. Those were the days.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you selected nice coins and knew which ones to purchase, at the right price; I believe you could at least break-even the next day.

But I believe that it would take at least 5 years or more to experience any type of significant profit or appreciation.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 year later? ha...good luck.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends of course on what the market does in the intervening year, but I have done more or less what you describe a handful of times before. I've made money a few times, broken even a few, and lost money a few. Worst I ever did was with a very pretty ex-Eliasberg gem better-date Barber piece, on which I lost 23%.
    mirabela
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    To some degree you are just out the dealer markup? That is not to bad. I know it is hard to predict the future as it can change in an hours notice nowdays. I usually use the next day on a lot of the stuff I do. If I buy today what could I get tomorrow.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure that I'd be buying today. Mite as well wait a year.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reminds me of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and the scene where they are drinking from the grail. Choose wisely and your results will improve. Choose poorly and you will have big problems.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess your talking US coins only.......!?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I go back just three months and buy gold image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically, a good quality coin from a good dealer might be listed on his website at 20% more than his replacement cost. If you bought the coin at full price and immediately tried to sell it quickly to another dealer, you would probably be lucky to get 95% the perceived replacement cost, which would leave you with a 21% loss.

On the other hand, if you managed to get a discount from the original seller, and then you manage to get him to buy it back at his replacement cost, or even a bit more, you'll probably be looking at a 10% loss or so.

The bottom line is that if you can develop a good working relationship with a good dealer, you can dramatically reduce your transaction costs.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well put MrE
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Key Point: Does (anyone) want it?

If it is a classic, high eye appeal, market is at least stable AND the (new owner) has a market, then you will do OK.

If it is the "slug" that the dealer was happy to dump, even if it is a 6 figure slug, then brace yourself. If it was one that languished in inventory for years, it is doubtful the (new owner) wants it back, EVER.

As it is said about a boat, the 2nd happiest day is the day you buy it.

The happiest day is the day you sell it.

The best and easiest way to sell a (insert noun here), is to be the heir of the owner.

You have zero into it, and no emotion, so everything is gravy that you get. You may be fleeced, but you go away happy.

I had this discussion with my family, especially my wife. I have a lot of toys (trying to downsize a bit (right)). For example, my 1968 Shelby could bring high $80's one day, and $140 K the next. There is stuff in the garage, stuff in the SDB, etc. that could be $5 or $5K. Hopefully, they remember the print out in the file cabinet, but

Just in case, I took out a term life policy that MORE than covers the value of the toys. I pay for it like a regular bill from the toy box money. Wife understands that this money is so that she DOES NOT HAVE TO PANIC over DID I GET A FAIR PRICE FOR EVERY WIDGET ?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we buying 2 figure slabbed widgets or six figure rarities? World coins, colonials, federal issues, or commems? I don't think the answers for the various potential categories of collecting will behave in lockstep fashion.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins are priced 20%-30%...or more above what most knowledgeable buyers could turn around and resell in a true auction. Most would lose that amount if resold within a year.

Tyler
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an interesting viewpoint Bob.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Buy and Hold is the collector's strategy.

Ask yourself personally : "What is my objective ? " To deal and make it my trade ? To trade, and make it a deal ? To capitalize without regard for those who are immersed ? The question itself presents a peculiar introspect , looking from both sides of the aisle.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BryceM
    Are we buying 2 figure slabbed widgets or six figure rarities? World coins, colonials, federal issues, or commems? I don't think the answers for the various potential categories of collecting will behave in lockstep fashion.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying retail selling wholsale in a year? Prob not. Selling retail then probably possible to make a profit. Selling to dealers for a quick dump just says your not willing to take the time to find he end user sort of a fee to pay a consultant. Also Depends on how may clients you have and if they're trained to know what they are looking at. Some dealers out there have a huge client base and it's possible for a collector to have enough notoriety or collecting coleuges to sell to. Mostly my thoughts are to do your own leg work to maximize return or minimize loss. But that's with anything in life!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file