Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are chGem zincolns available in rolls?

cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Someone told me recently that one can find PL and highly Gem cents in BU rolls and that this has been true for nearly 30 years. I don't believe it. I've looked at many many Lincolns and have never found any of the quality in mint sets. Yes, I've seen a few nice MS-67's and PL's in rolls but for many date mint sets this is rather typical rather than high end. The typical 1988-D mint set cent is about MS-67 and usually at least vaguely PL. I'd have to look at countless rolls just to find this, and mint set coins come far nicer than mere 67.

There's always a very high correlation between how coins appear in mint sets and the highest graded and this works across all denominations. It breaks down a little for Ikes but I believe this is because mint set Ikes have a lot scratches that takes some of the best specimens out of contention.

It's very hard for me to believe the best cents aren't in mint sets. The mint has been very adamant in saying the best coins are in mint sets for 50 years now and we all know they can't be wrong or misleading. image
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite agree Cladking.... while I have seen some very nice coins come out of rolls, none

were comparable to the mint set coins. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gone through hundreds of rolls. Good luck finding MS 66, let alone a gemmie in rolls. And I've submitted a few to test my "vision". So it's from experience , I post. Not from a dream.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold all of my unc rolls except for some clad halves, some nickels and some 1982-D LD Zincs. One of my projects is to screen the zincolns and send some of them in for grading. The rinse they used back in '82 must've been crap.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There modern's so few seem to care what they are. Few even look, fewer bid, so a lot fewer are professionally graded. You would think if they are rare, they would be worth more but that doesn't happen.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No crazy premiums because not enough people are chasing them for registry sets. For example, just under 1200 2014 P+D in NGC plastic and only 5 69s,/0 70s. A little over 900 @ PCGS top pops are 10 & 13 68s
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys.

This is my experience as well almost across the board with moderns.

A lot of moderns aren't even avialable in rolls. Even ones you expect to be common like '74 quarters are virtually non-existent and then when you find them every single coin is a dog.

Of course the zinc cents come a lot nicer tthan '74 quarters did but I still don't often see one that is even as nice as the average 1988-D in the mint set. Some of these coins like the '89-D are so well struck under such high pressure that the plating is pulled off the sides of the lettering on the reverse.

I've found many Gems in circulation over the years and sometimes they can be spectacular. Indeed, sometimes they are obviously not mit set coins and this adds a lot to them in my eyes. I expect to find lots of Gems in mint sets because about 2% are Gem but finding them in rolls takes a lot of work and heavy lifting. It takes time to go through all the rolls and bags I've been through.

Finding Gems in rolls is a job for Ahab but in mint sets it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Interesting posts, but I can think of exceptions.

My 1948 mint set had terrible rim cuts on Franklin's face. I bought that set because I wanted to see what the new halves looked like. I didn't see a Franklin half in circulation until 1955.

The 1971 blue envelope silver uncirculated Ikes had scratches on them. My best two mark free specimens came from the bank at $1 each! I wonder what the history of those two were.
  • Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Any time I come across a roll of new cents they are still covered in spots. Why is this still happening? The last couple of years have not been as bad but the spots are still there.
    Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file