Home Precious Metals
Options

Question....10 oz of gold bars or 10 $20 Libertys?

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
Between the two groups, what is worth more........

Having ten (10) 1 ounce gold ingots,

or

Having ten (10) AU common date $20 Liberty gold coins?
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A common date Liberty sells for more than a 1 oz. bar. However the Liberty is only .9675 oz. of gold while the bar is normally one full oz. of gold.

The US gold coin will resell easier and at a higher premium than the gold bar.

Coin holdings were safe from the last gold confiscation by Washington.

I'd choose the Libertys.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the Libs and buy certified. Certified, common date, AU gold trade at a modest premium to melt and are highly liquid. The closer to melt the better of course.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DoubleEagle59

Between the two groups, what is worth more........

Having ten (10) 1 ounce gold ingots,

or

Having ten (10) AU common date $20 Liberty gold coins?

Not even close, the Libs.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would always take the coins.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Liberty double eagles would be my choice. If they are slabbed problem free AU, they'll cost more than generic 1 oz gold bars. If you buy them raw, be careful that you don't buy any counterfeits.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    think about what you have read lately and on this forum about fake bars.....not fake Libs.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

think about what you have read lately and on this forum about fake bars.....not fake Libs.

bob

You Many are housed in counterfeit slabs are correct. If you want to read about fake Libs you'll have to go to the US Coin Forum. They have been counterfeited now for several decades. Even the common dates such as the 1904 have been counterfeited. Many are now appearing in counterfeit slabs. As far as counterfeit bars, they are also a problem which is why you should buy them from one of the major bullion dealers rather than eBay or your local flea market.

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Libertys if certified.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loose liberty's , bars are boring , they are gold sure but no one actually loves them. Good old junk gold appeals to a lot of people
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Libs, no question.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

Loose liberty's , bars are boring , they are gold sure but no one actually loves them. Good old junk gold appeals to a lot of people

I don't consider AU Liberty double eagles to be "junk gold". On the other hand, I do think that cleaned or otherwise damaged common date classic gold coins to be "junk gold" IMO. If I were buying gold bullion I would rather buy AGE's or gold buffalos than privately made gold bars.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Originally posted by: bronco2078

I don't consider AU Liberty double eagles to be "junk gold". On the other hand, I do think that cleaned or otherwise damaged common date classic gold coins to be "junk gold" IMO. If I were buying gold bullion I would rather buy AGE's or gold buffalos than privately made gold bars.

Some dealers consider damaged AGEs to be junk gold. Agree on the AGEs or Buffalos. Would prefer either over bars, Saints or Libs. The premium for Saints or Libs is high enough that when you start buying quantity, you are pissing away $$ that could be buying more ounces. If one is looking to flip, then who cares if it's boring or what it looks like? If you're buying keepsake/s, that's different.
  • Options
    Agree, best bang for the buck while maintaining quality is the AGE or the buffalo.

• Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

Agree, best bang for the buck while maintaining quality is the AGE or the buffalo.

I actually prefer the buffalos over the AGE's since they are 999.9 pure gold rather than 22K gold. In many parts of the world (especially Asia), gold buyers want pure gold rather than gold that's been contaminated with copper alloy.

• Options
    True, but don't forget the AGE also has one full ounce of pure gold. It weights a little more to compensate for the hardening alloy.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

I actually prefer the buffalos over the AGE's since they are 999.9 pure gold rather than 22K gold. In many parts of the world (especially Asia), gold buyers want pure gold rather than gold that's been contaminated with copper alloy.

Perry hit the nail right on the head....as stated, especially in Asia .9999 is strongly preferred over .999 gold.
    The AGE is .9167
    It is the "purity" they are after, not necessarily the volume. So while the buffalo and as Derry points out AGE each contain 1 oz of gold the world market outside the US goes for the .9999 Buffalos or their equivalent.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

True, but don't forget the AGE also has one full ounce of pure gold. It weights a little more to compensate for the hardening alloy.

I think most of us here know this. Doesn't change the fact that it's not pure gold. At one time copper alloy served the purpose of hardening the gold when gold coins circulated as money but gold coins that are now being produced no longer circulate as money.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Mint should start striking AGEs in pure gold 0.999 fine. No real reason to be alloying them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mariner67

Perry hit the nail right on the head....as stated, especially in Asia .9999 is strongly preferred over .999 gold.
    The AGE is .9167
    It is the "purity" they are after, not necessarily the volume. So while the buffalo and as Derry points out AGE each contain 1 oz of gold the world market outside the US goes for the .9999 Buffalos or their equivalent.

Agree. Decision of which to own boils down to where one will be eventually selling their gold and which coin has the largest buyer market in that area. I stack both coins but expect to see greater demand for my AGEs here in the states. I do not sell outside of the US.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take the gold any old way, and go long. Why not ?