Home Metal Detecting
Options

Gold prospecting, summer of 2015

No metal detector used here, but I guess gold prospecting in general is close enough image

This is from a prospecting trip in Finnish Lapland last summer (2015). I found it very relaxing (compared to Australia) not to be on the lookout for deadly animals all the time and not having to watch every step!

I barely saw any wildlife at all this year (assuming mosquitoes don’t count!), so these flower pics will have to do:

Here’s the setup:

Always nice to see gold in the pan!

Some interesting rocks were also found. This one, for example. It's about the size of an egg. Mainly iron with some quartz in it, so it’s rather heavy.

Some more of the good stuff:

It turned out to be an unproductive trip. Terrible ground, combined with some other problems (very limited water, for example).

Having to recycle the water was a major hassle. It involved:

- Building a dam in the tiny stream that didn't provide anywhere near enough water to operate on continuously
- Digging a water pit some way down from the sluice and using that as water intake
- Moving the pump around every once in a while to refill it, as some water was continuously being lost into the ground

Of course sluicing with dirty water doesn't help gold recovery either, but there wasn't much of a choice

I have ground with much more potential lined up for this year.
Anyway, this is the grand total (along with some black sand just for the heck of it)

An embarrassingly small amount of 1.34 grams, but it was fun regardless! image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    The flower pics are much better than of a spider that will eat your face. It looks like a lot of work using that sluice, but seeing that gold in the pan makes it well worth it! How long did it take to get that haul of gold?

I like the gloves on the spears. Sort of a sign to all of those gloves that if they revolt, their fates are sealed.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always nice to see color in the pan - looks like a lot of work there for minimal return.

Although just being out there in the country - with flowers - is some reward. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, not much of a reward gold-wise (for 6 days I believe) - that's for sure.
    Having said that, it quickly became clear that finding much gold here would be a long shot, so might as well chill out and enjoy.
    No point going flat out just to get 1.8 grams instead of the 1.3...

I could have moved to another area altogether, but cleaning up the area, packing, moving, and unpacking the gear is no fun.

For this summer I'll have an area with proven gold and bedrock very near the surface (2 feet or so), so things will hopefully look different!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    My buddy and I tried some prospecting like this a couple summers ago (although far less elaborate. We had a Gold Cube and some shovels/screens). Granted we didn't really know what we were doing, but after probably 10 hours or so total, we had a small number of flakes, and one "picker" that you could hear when you rattled the bottle. Doubt we even found 1/10 of a gram, but it was neat to try something different. Can really appreciate the amount of work you put into your haul.

With only 2 feet of ground before bedrock, that sounds promising. The area you tried, were you close to bedrock?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report.

Although I fail to admit it, I think my days of doing this kind of stuff are over. Much to strenuous and meant for younger folk. Will continue to prospect but most likely not for gold but for gems.

Over the decades of searching for gold I passed on many, many gem finds. Not that I could ever relocate them but the search will be fun. And should there be gold in the dirt I shall be very likely to pick it up and report it here!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat! Does look like a lot of work.

Oh, and ... what? Where's the mandatory critter pic?

Great flora, but we've come to expect fauna, as well! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Oh, and ... what? Where's the mandatory critter pic?

image I KNEW you'd say that! image

I don't have a single one, not even the rear end of a blurry reindeer escaping from frame.
    This is the best I can do: