Options

Gunmoney NEWP from Dublin Coin Fair

Very attractive UNC large size 1/2 Crown from the Dublin Coin Fair today:

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats as that looks nicer then any I recall having seen on US soil image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the dealer I bought it from assembled a complete set including the unique pieces. His notes suggest a specimen strike for this coin but I don;t exactly believe it. Either way it is very nice. Joins this small 1/2 crown in my collection.

imageimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Yes, the dealer I bought it from assembled a complete set including the unique pieces. His notes suggest a specimen strike for this coin but I don;t exactly believe it. Either way it is very nice. Joins this small 1/2 crown in my collection.

The 1690 is very nice as you rarely ever see these with trace red remaining struck on a perfect planchet. They mostly all have mild porosity surface issues from poor planchet mixture. A hard times token collector buddy is working on a side project of these so over the years I've given him a heads up when I see a nice one in my travels and have learned a bit along the way.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    327 years old and looking that good! Very nice purchase.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

What's the significance of the month (May, Aug.) being part of the design?

Quoting John Agre in his description of the smaller 2/6d I posted:

Month? Why are these dated by month? Lets find out:

King James II of England was deposed and fled to France in 1688. In 1689 he surfaced in Ireland in an attempt to reacquire his throne. Short of money, he issued a series of coins struck in base metal to pay for the supplies he needed. These coins are known as 'gun money' because legend has it that they were struck on planchet stock produced from melted down cannons.

The coins are dated by year and month based on James' commitment to redeem them (one month's allotment at a time) for proper precious metal coins after he was back in power.

Alas, with his defeat at the Battle of Boyne in 1690, James II lost his bid to re-ascend to the throne and the coinage issue became worthless (except to collectors, a few hundred years later).

As for the coin itself, this is the nicest example of any Gun Money issue we have ever offered, sharply struck for the type, with considerable golden luster remaining on the obverse and reverse.

The Battle of the Boyne site is about 30min from my house.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool piece, cool story.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific coins- I tend to agree with you that the 1689 is not a specimen

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the gun money! Very historic!
  • Options
    Grade posted
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭