Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fountain Hills Coin Show (AZ) Report

I spent 2 hours this morning at the Fountain Hills Coin Show (AZ). This is the 3rd show I've attended put on by the Fountain Hills Coin Club. And this was better than their previous 2 shows I attended. The room was full of vendors and unlike some of the previous shows, many vendors had coins priced that were very reasonable for buying. My complaint has been that often many dealers seem to ask for the moon and the stars when they price their coins. Today I saw a lot of reasonably priced coins.

I bought 3 PCGS coins... A 1914-S Buffalo Nickel (AU-55), a 1914-S Barber Quarter (G-6) and a 1917-S Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter (G-8).

The surprise was running into someone I've known for several years at church and discovering that he's a dealer. He had his own table with a nice allotment of coins. I enjoyed sitting down and talking coins with him for awhile and bought 1 of my coins from him. I'm surprised I hadn't seen him at prior shows.

A month ago at the Mesa Show there was a dealer who had a sing that he had 1,963 Bust Halves. He was at the show today and I really wanted to talk to him. Well as it turns out, he went to a show in another city in the past few weeks and sold 1,700 of his Bust Halves to some wealthy doctor that was at the show. He got out the 200 or so that he still had. Now I had envisioned that he had a bunch of culls and such loose in a bucket or something. Nope, he had them all catalogued by Overton Number, grade and price. Of the 200 or so he had left, most were very nice coins. Unfortunately he was asking much more than I was willing to spend so I didn't buy any.

A dealer was there that I've seen at 1 prior show. He just irks me with how he displays his coins. He has open trays of raw Peace Dollars, Morgan Dollars and Franklin/Kennedy Halves just piled together raw without 2x2s or anything. The coins look like nice condition (AU and possibly a few BU). But it irks me that the coins are just there inviting people to pick them up, add fingerprints to them and let them bang into each others. Sure, they're not expensive coins and just common dates, but nice coins are quickly going to be ugly, damaged coins. I think all coins should be treated with respect and handled with care regardless of the value or condition. And the prices he was asking weren't great and the same coins could probably be bought at other tables in protected 2x2s and such. Anyway, that's my rant.

Of all the coin tables, there was one dealer selling currency. I have no idea how that market is for collecting. There was also a dealer with a table full of baseball cards. Does anyone go to a coin show to buy baseball cards? It just doesn't seem like a fit.

Anyway, any day there's a coin show is a great day to be living.
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice write up - thanks for sharing.
    Would love to see pics of that 14s Buff.
    What was the mood or tone of the show? Good buzz, were the reasonably priced coins selling?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky dog, getting to go to a coin show. Thanks for the report--for those of us stuck at home, your report is the closest we'll get to a show today. (or, in my case, for probably about 11 months. image )

Mark

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the report. Sounds like a nice show.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good time.
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: TigersFan2

... There was also a dealer with a table full of baseball cards. Does anyone go to a coin show to buy baseball cards? It just doesn't seem like a fit ...

It used to be common in the 1980's and 90's for combination coin and card shows and/or also stamps. A fair amount of dealers handled both or all three. Maybe still is like this in some places but not like it used to be.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report... thanks from myself and I am sure others who cannot get to coin shows..

That table with all the loose coins sounds strange... Cheers, RickO
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dealer was there that I've seen at 1 prior show. He just irks me with how he displays his coins. He has open trays of raw Peace Dollars, Morgan Dollars and Franklin/Kennedy Halves just piled together raw without 2x2s or anything. The coins look like nice condition (AU and possibly a few BU). But it irks me that the coins are just there inviting people to pick them up, add fingerprints to them and let them bang into each others. Sure, they're not expensive coins and just common dates, but nice coins are quickly going to be ugly, damaged coins. I think all coins should be treated with respect and handled with care regardless of the value or condition. And the prices he was asking weren't great and the same coins could probably be bought at other tables in protected 2x2s and such. Anyway, that's my rant.

Sounds like melt value.Be no need to go thru the trouble and time
    to protect them in 2X2 holders. Most likely be melted anyway with
    no respectimage
  • TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip

Sounds like melt value.Be no need to go thru the trouble and time
    to protect them in 2X2 holders. Most likely be melted anyway with
    no respectimage

He was trying to sell those raw Morgan and Peace Dollars about around 3x melt. I think he had a price of $37 or $39 each posted.

I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file