Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sorry Old Friend - my 1821 JR-7 had to go......

For a long time, I listed my 1821 Bust Capped Bust dime Large date - JR-7 in my PCGS registry set. Its one of the most gorgeous dimes that I ever saw and very proud that I own. Others complimented me on the coin and others offered my crazy money to buy it and I never sold it nor ever will. All I can say its true love - you hard core collectors know what I mean, I intended to never replaced this coin for registry purposes. This coin has it all - originality, gorgeous blue toning, deep proof like mirror surfaces and some could actually mistake the coin as a proof -these are my favorite attributes that I look for in a coin.
Now Pogue III came around and I was fortunate to acquire another 1821 Large Date JR-6. I recently replaced my Old Favorite for my new favorite. I didn't sell it so I i don't have seller's remorse but I have PCGS Registry remorse. Share your stories.
Before:
Now:

BTW- Both coins are the plate coins in the new Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide
Easton Collection

Comments

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is great that you kept both coins Congratulations
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gazes
    I think it is great that you kept both coins Congratulations

+1

Tom

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood the grade on that first one.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easton,

I like them both , but I honestly like the blue color best. second one I am sure looks quite nice in hand though, as I have an 1822 (but just a pc 58cac) that has similar colors as the bottom, and I like it dearly.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love them both.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photos supplied I like your old example better since it's more my taste as a the type of coin my eye instantly navigates toward.

Glad your able to keep them both image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see either one, there's too much drool on my screen.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are fantastic, of course.

I do like your new one slightly better.

It appears to be absolutely hammered.

Congratulations.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Try to keep both if your financial allows. Both are keepers image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Realone

Will yah look at the color of your new........WOW....you can understand why Pogue's secret service acquired it for him.....stunning. Too bad Pogue's secret service were more of a numismatist than he was. Glad these coins have been sold and put into the hands of real collectors like yourself than stored in some rich guys house for years gathering dust. Congrats!

Realone, Pretty low blow against someone you've never meet.

No one sets out to build the kind of collection Brent did spanning over 30 years without being a truly passionate collector.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing coins! Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a difference between going out and doing the leg work/research to find the coins and sitting in your castling sipping a fine cognac and waiting for a phone call that your hired gun has found another wonderful piece for you. Sorry if the truth hurts but that is my take.

I saw Brent at Long Beach many times. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, congratulations. Heck I'd take any one of them any way I could get them. I don't drink but just sitting back telling someone to "GO" works for me. Maybe some are jealous.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinRaritiesOnline
    There is a difference between going out and doing the leg work/research to find the coins and sitting in your castling sipping a fine cognac and waiting for a phone call that your hired gun has found another wonderful piece for you. Sorry if the truth hurts but that is my take.

I saw Brent at Long Beach many times. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative.

I have met with Brent at various shows and auctions over the past 15+ years. Yes, he had professional numismatists to assist him from time to time. Wouldn't anyone spending 9-figures on coins find it prudent to have professional assistance??? That being said, he personally attended the shows and auctions, and enthusiastically showed his coins to other collectors and actively discussed their nuances.

I can still remember him at the Long Beach shows bringing in trays with mind-blowing coins, and handing them out to those who wanted to look them over. Make no mistake about it, he is an astute numismatist and a very passionate collector.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EastonCollection
    For a long time, I listed my 1821 Bust Capped Bust dime JR-7 in my PCGS registry set. Its one of the most gorgeous dimes that I ever saw and very proud that I own. Others complimented me on the coin and others offered my crazy money to buy it and I never sold it nor ever will. All I can say its true love - you hard core collectors know what I mean, I intended to never replaced this coin for registry purposes. This coin has it all - originality, gorgeous blue toning, deep proof like mirror surfaces and some could actually mistake the coin as a proof -these are my favorite attributes that I look for in a coin.
    Now Pogue III came around and I was fortunate to acquire another 1821 Larger Date JR-6. I recently replaced my Old Favorite for my new favorite. I didn't sell it so I i don't have seller's remorse but I have PCGS Registry remorse. Share your stories.
    Before:
    Now:

BTW- Both coins are the plate coins in the new Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide

Awesome coins!

Since you are keeping both (with which I wholeheartedly agree!), why not reholder them into a two-coin holder? That would make for an amazing display!

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you every one for your compliments. I purchased the 1821 JR-7 (blue one) from Coin Rarities Online. I agree with John from CRO that the coin is undergraded and its in the same holder as purchased from CRO- its going to stay that way! I fell in love with this coin and still in love. The way I look at this is I am in love with another 1821.

I just love great gorgeous eye appealing originally toned coins. Its that simple but hard to find! Its true that having astute dealers assisting you along the way helps but its the collector that makes that final decision to buy that coin.

Does anyone else have similar stories like this?

Easton Collection
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even non-collectors would have to be stunned by the beauty of those.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EastonCollection

I just love great gorgeous eye appealing originally toned coins. Its that simple but hard to find! Its true that having astute dealers assisting you along the way helps but its the collector that makes that final decision to buy that coin.

Does anyone else have similar stories like this?

Both are stunning, Easton, and I'm glad to hear you're not selling the JR-7.

Similar stories? Maybe not on the same scale but I recently sprang for an 1824/4 O.109 NGC MS62. I didn't need the die marriage as I have a PCGS AU55 I really enjoy. But the NGC 62 was really cheap as a cherrypick, even after PCGS dropped it to AU58.

So the new coin beats the old in my registry sets but I can't bring myself to sell the AU55. Here they are...the old first and new second.

Lance.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting images of them, wonderful coins. I bought nothing out of the sale, but I had a few, less than 10, on my watch list. That 1821 was one of them. Congratulations!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to feel guilty. Consider this an opportunity to go from one to three registry sets. Early, Middle and Late Die States.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needless to say they are both great coins, BUT....

Not to call out the elephant in the Living Room, but I kinda still like the first one. That very light "x" on the high cheek-bone on the new one makes me want to go back to the first one. I know the strike is weaker and technically the second one is a stronger coin, but just saying you did darn fine on the first one.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, both of them. I like the new one better. Maybe I'm too much of a dollar collector, but I just have s strong dislike for cheekmarks. That "X" on the new one is nothing - very superficial I'd think.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - again thanks for the compliments - I didn't mention any grades because they are meaningless - the JR-7(Top one) PCGS graded it a MS-62 and the JR-6 (bottom one) is a MS-64+. Believe it or not, the coins look better in hand!

Lance - love those coins too! I doesn't matter to me about the grade - to me its all about the off the charts Eye Appeal, originality and toning. Your coins qualify in those categories! Nice job.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these type of coins don't get my notice no matter how quote" pretty' they are
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needless to say they are both great coins, BUT....

... but I kinda still like the first one. ...

I'm with him. I'm glad you kept the first one. They're both great, but the first one has a look to it that I especially like. Anyway, congratulations. These are both fine things to own and admire.
    mirabela
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Both are excellent, but I'm partial to blue and the first one is easier on the eyes.

You can rotate them in your registry set (or create a new one so each will have a home)
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one is a MOOSE and the 2nd one has a nice strike!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them both, but the newer one best! SWEET!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both are nice but i like that second one best. just saying
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow and wow. Great coins!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breathtaking coins and mark me down for the second coin as my preference by a hair.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I have seen 'in hand' many of the coins in Easton's registry set, before he acquired them. Most are extremely impressive. Easton is a connoisseur who appreciates originality and he is fast becoming a legend in his own time.

In my auction review immediately after the Pogue III event, I reported that Easton bought the Pogue 1830/29 dime. This is one of the coolest pre-1840 silver coins that I have ever seen.

The Marvelous Pogue Family Coin Collection, part 14: Successful Third Auction Given Uncertain Market Conditions

It should be mentioned, as it is relevant to this thread, that there was a great deal of collector competition for the Capped Bust dimes in the Pogue III sale. Easton was not the only fervent bidder.

I am tired of hearing negative remarks about this auction. Certainly, many of the dimes brought strong or very strong prices. Dime collectors were then very enthusiastic.

The Marvelous Pogue Family Coin Collection, part 16 – Capped Bust Dimes

insightful10@gmail.com
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file