Home Precious Metals
Options

Of all my types of silver, Guess Which Tarnishes the Most?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Hi,
Not so much as how to clean/store the silver, but it just occurred to me that I have the most tarnish/toning/stain problems with my American Silver Eagles.

I'm looking at the small group of Slabbed MS69 ASEs and they are getting cloudy, if that is the correct description. Not toned but getting a film look. Then I have some in a plastic tube where the edges get toned, but that's sort of expected. I have a few more loose and a few in littleton packages, etc.

Anyway, the ASE's seem to be more sensitive.

I have random type bars loose with no problem, some in factory plastic, and in all kinds of ways because I fiddle with stuff a lot. No tarnish though. Plenty of 90% with no problem other than over handling. Pure silver rounds w no problems.

But the point is I can treat the other stuff no different but the ASEs seem a bit more sensitive.

-----
Edit fix from AGE to ASE as it should have been.
COA

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagles, for sure. I don't know why but if they're in contact with anything , they tarnish quick. You said AGEs are getting cloudy, but I think you meant ASE's (America Silver Eagles as opposed to American Gold Eagles)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ASE's seem to stay just fine... all I ever did was acetone rinse when received...

and they look great.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I have some ase tone and others not.. All stored in the same location
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set