Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1869 5 Lire (Italy) -- didn't realize this coins is big?

I just received this from my favorite dealer in Italy, but strange as it might seem I never thought to check details on this coin. It arrived and I was like, whoa? It's big, like a Morgan dollar. Crazy, for some reason I thought it was somewhere between the size of a 25C and 50C piece, but I guess I was wrong.

BTW...what do you think he'll grade? I'm thinking something AU...is that about right?

Anyhow, newest addition to the set image

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 5L coin is a crown-sized piece. As for the grade, when the image is as big as my monitor, it's too hard to properly assess the grade. Try shrinking the image down to 500x500px per side.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler
    A 5L coin is a crown-sized piece. As for the grade, when the image is as big as my monitor, it's too hard to properly assess the grade. Try shrinking the image down to 500x500px per side.

Just press CTRL and - (minus/dash) keys on your keboard for a magic trick.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have one of these in XF. They are really fun to hold. Definitely crown size and have a decent weight to them as well. Would be higher up on my list of favorites if only the shield had a more varied design. The symmetry is lovely in its own way, but I've always been a sucker for sprawling animalia.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Crown-sized, like the French 5-franc pieces of the era.

Bet you were pleasantly surprised, huh.

As to GTG, I suppose AU50 is not impossible on that piece, but I'd expect something more like XF45 from a TPG.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Advice heeded regarding sizes image
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The size is fine really, and ACop's advice is cool - I did NOT know that.

Simply do that move on any post/pic, and even a newbie like EVP can handle it ..lol

While me likes this crown something on reverse is off.. unsure what I see..thats not toning or is it? I would be hesitant to say AU here..def subtle wear on both sides, going to say XF45 also, and that's if the reverse is kosher. Otherwise might be bagged.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as AU seems about right... Also see nothing on the reverse that would get it bagged.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ACop

Just press CTRL and - (minus/dash) keys on your keboard for a magic trick.

I'll use that tip in a twenty minutes when the image finishes downloading on my phone.

I love crown size coins
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with AU53, assuming the big gash through the 9 of the date isn't problematic.

I like the look of the toning on the obverse, but the reverse is a bit darker than I usually like (though not overly so).
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a wonderful crown! I see that Bologna and Sardinia minted 5 Lire in 1860. Now I have a new coin to hunt for to add to my collection of Silver Dollars of '60.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Great crown. Nothing like a big solid hunk of silver.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Phil did a great job with the images, the grade just posted on this. AU55.

Will share a couple more that just posted...

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice outcome. Coingrats!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.