Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan RC Opinions??

Hello all,

I have the opportunity to buy a collection from someone who has been collecting for at least 25 years. Probably the jewel in the crown would be this '86 Fleer Jordan. I believe it to be authentic as I have looked at it in person and used a couple of counterfeit guides to compare. He actually had another copy which was a counterfeit which he said he got on ebay for a pretty good price. This copy is one that came with the rest of the set which he has and said was bought right around when they came out in '86. He has a ton of cards and basically none that are certified other than ones he has bought already in a holder. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the back, but can tell you that all of the markers for a genuine copy were there (Clear eyes on the bull, clear decimal point in the stats, lines on the baskeball on the lower right hand logo). Everything seems to check out with my research. What are your thoughts? What grade do you think it might get when I send it into PSA? Please try to look past all of the lint and small scratches as they are on a thick acrylic holder that it is currently in. I can assure you the front of the card is clean. Thanks again for any opinions!!!

Schultz24

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/Jordan Rookie_zpsm9uc6hvd.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that some people would not be comfortable buying a raw Jordan. But if you know what you are looking for it is not that difficult. Another sign of a fake is that if you turn off the lights and you hold the card over a flashlight, the light will shine right through on every known fake. A flashlight will not sign through the real thing. Having said that, it would not bother me to buy raw as long as I could see it in person.

Enough of that.....that is a beauty. As far as the specific grade, it is hard to determine because of the top loader. My guess is, barring any unseen flaws, the lowest is a PSA 8. The centering and corner look great to me.

Shane

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an 8 to me
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I agree, it looks like an 8, maybe a 9 on a good day. The L/R centering is off ever so slightly and there appears to be a little wear along the right side (lower right corner I see some white).

I think it also depends on how much he is wanting for the card.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    agreed with all. minimum 8, definitely a chance of an 8.5 or 9 (I think with that above average centering, you'll get a benefit). wish I could see that bottom right corner a bit better. but with the 8, that's about a min $1500 these days
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Is that white mark in the blue border by the basket a tear? It doesn't look like lint. If so, I would say this is a PSA 2.
  • Options
    I think that is the lint of which he speaks. It looks evil in an enlarged pic. I would reserve judgement, though, until being able to examine the card outside the holder. If the OP believes it to be clean and worthy of a higher grade, then our opinions are just window dressing. By appearance inside the holder, free of flaws, the card should do well.
  • Options
    Definitely not a tear on the card. I had it out of the holder and it is clean. I'm going to look at it again today to take a better look at the corners, but it is so nice that my first impression was no less than an 8 and hopeful for a bit higher. Thanks for the opinions so far, any more out there? It is part of a whole collection so if I do make a deal I will post more pics. Thanks again!
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    its real, probably around an 8!
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    If the white spec isn't part of the card, then I would agree with it being an 8. Look like there might be slight corner touch
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely centered, but most Jordans are. The two right corners make this an 8 at best...maybe even a 7.
  • Options
    7 or an 8. i say get it authenticated if you want max return when selling
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Can we see the back?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    looks real and does not appear to have any flaws keeping it from an 8. Nice looking Jordan.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I would mainly be concerned with that top right corner. Hard to tell looking through the top loader and sleeve exactly what condition that corner is in. I could see this card anywhere from the floor of an 8 to the ceiling of a 9. I would lean more towards an 8 or an 8.5 based on that top right corner. The centering is good for a Jordan RC. I have seen 9's with worse centering and most 8's have much worse centering, which is why I think an 8.5 is in play.
    Steve
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay all. I bought the collection and now have this Jordan as well as a bunch of other nice cards in my possession. Here are a couple of new pics outside of the bulky Lucite before I head off to work. I forgot that there is a bullseye print defect on the back, kind of stinks but nothing I can do. Not sure how much the back is a factor when bringing the grade up or down on cards. Still looks like there might be the slightest of a rub on the top right corner, but I think everything else is good. Shoot away with thoughts or changes on what you think the grade could be. Thanks again!

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/Jordan 1_zpskyfx26an.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/jordan 2_zpsesxy7t4r.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Looks better with these new pics. I would still say you are looking at around an 8 with this card. Still a very pretty card and centered well.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Much better photos. I don't think the print defect on the reverse will play a significant role in your grade. I'm afraid the upper right corner is the limiting factor and if I were grading it I would make it an 8 because of that corner. It is an otherwise 9 worthy card. Congrats on the pick up.
    Steve
  • Options
    Take a look at the 8's online. This is far superior...with only potential surface flaws holding it back from a 9
    It never leaves you...