Home Metal Detecting

Finding coins under an old clothesline

When I first started detecting 20 years ago one of the places I was told to look for was old clotheslines. I have hunted these over the years and had never found one coin there. Last Wednesday I had raked leaves for an older gentleman and when I finished I asked if I could use my metal detector in his yard. I first hunted the path he made from the front door to the mail box. One quarter and 5 zincolns there. In the back yard I tried under the clothesline and to my surprise I found 2 quarters, 3 dimes and 6 pennies. All in the sixties but no silver. One 1951 wheat cent did show up. Maybe I didn't find a lot here but it was a very fun hunt and I guess that I will keep looking under those old clotheslines. image

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I've found some new clad under clotheslines, but nothing old. Have to find that clothesline from Google Earth images from the 50s or before and try there. Finding the old maps on Google Earth are hit or miss, but I did find one map that went back to the 1990s. Anyone have any luck using old maps on there?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found coins (mostly cents and a couple nickels) under old clotheslines... when

I used to hunt yards and fields..never used Google Earth though... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you never know ppc, you never know image
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I found my one and only IKE dollar under a clothesline, along with pounds of clad coins, play money and costume jewelry.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good opportunity for a pocket spill in the most extreme sense possible image
    I don't think I've ever hunted under a clothesline in my life, but then I've detected in very few yards in general.

Never used google earth for old maps.
    As an aside, I have occasionally used google maps to look at beaches. If the images are taken in the summertime, you get a pretty good idea of the "population density" on various parts of the beach.
    Sometimes it's a bit different than you'd intuitively think.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro