Home Precious Metals
Options

Does it bother you when...

someone inquires about something you're offering, you are kind enough to name a price rather than saying, what are you willing to pay?...you ask them to please get back with you either way and they blow you off not having the common courtesy to at least say no thanks if they're not interested?

I'm sure this has been talked about before, sorry, I'm just venting. But I will be sure to not reply to this type of person going forward even if they say "I'll take it" in the thread in which the item(s) are being offered. Believe it or not, just as a buyer can choose not to do business with a seller, a seller can fire a buyer as well. Rant complete. Carry on.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BST? No big deal for me. I consider them not interested unless I hear back from them.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I've bought from you before happily. I overthink all my online purchases for a bit if I wasn't sure. Doesn't mean much but can be frustrating.
    They consider me, nasty grandpa, on some of the sales I put up on FB pages and get no shows. I have another friend that sold something
    on ebay and there was a nonsense issue, so he told the person to keep the item and refunded the money to keep a good rating.

Vent. Let it go. Erase the thread. (easy to say)

:-)
    COA
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

BST? No big deal for me. I consider them not interested unless I hear back from them.

And that approach, I respectfully disagree with and will say that is part of the problem why this place has sunk to a new low. Rudeness is rampantly abound from this seat. It didn't use to be so much in the forefront of everything said here, now it is. Rudeness can be inaction too.

It's not about the sellers asking price being too high either before someone says that. It's about having common courtesy after the seller was kind enough to put a negotiated number on what was being inquired about. That is what the intent of this thread is about.

People, in general, have lost the ability to effectively communicate because of the way most people do so nowadays using modern technology. The human element to a conversation is all but gone. It doesn't have to be so rude and cut & dry the way it's become. jmho
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see your frustration. I'd say no thanks if I wasn't interested.
    Unfortunately a lot of people just don't seem to care. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feelings get hurt, but they shouldn't because us taking it personal is where the problem is, in reality. Don't let your feelings get attached. No answer is NO.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland

this
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Feelings get hurt, but they shouldn't because us taking it personal is where the problem is, in reality. Don't let your feelings get attached. No answer is NO.

hmmm, but when the person who asked holds you up from selling the same item(s) to another because you're a nice guy and want to wait to hear for a response from the first person and don't, that po's me. Then you go to the 2nd person a relatively short time later and ask them if they're still interested and they say no, again...frustrating.

If you go to the first person and say could you let me know, then they reply back saying you're the one being rude by pressuring them. Sometimes you can't win being a nice guy.

Lesson learned, one in the hand is worth two in the bush. Sell when someone says they'll take it even when other offers are out there.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figure that everyone doing business needs to have a $hitlist and the names have to get on there somehow.

I'd rather decide someone sucks before money and/or valuables change hands.

If they want to go to the trouble to tip me off ahead of time I'm ecstatic about it.

• Options
    If an inquiry is holding you up from selling to another, change the way you are doing things. Or, maybe when you get an inquiry your reply should include "let me know ASAP if you would like me to hold it 24 hrs. for you." 24 hrs later and no reply, make it available to others.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always replied to a price offer... either positive or negative. Just good manners.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    First to commit, wins. Derryb's time limit is also a good tactic.
  • Options

If an inquiry is holding you up from selling to another, change the way you are doing things. Or, maybe when you get an inquiry your reply should include "let me know ASAP if you would like me to hold it 24 hrs. for you." 24 hrs later and no reply, make it available to others.

By doing that, I feel it puts pressure on the buyer. Some people do not react favorably to that, so you chance losing a potential customer when all they really wanted is a day to think it over.

But again, the whole point of this thread...if after a day (or whatever timeframe is agreed on) that was aksed for, you decide you are not interested any longer, afford the seller the courtesy of letting them know that.

It's not really that hard of a thing to do, and it's just good business to continue doing good business.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    >>> WELL things have changed around here for sure Rich...Rude is just rude... point is you list something and say make offer...... first PM you get is " what you gotta get out of (What ever you have listed)..... even thou your listing clearly states "MAKE OFFER"... so you answer with a number and never hear back...... NEW way of conducting "BUZYNESS" I suppose.

Seems to me everyone thinks they NEED?WANT the best price possible... but dont know what that is .. and are as you put it.... just plain rude!... Amen Brother.

So my MO... just ignore those whom play that game..... metals will always sell...... REally.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Seems like guns tend to be one of the bigger game playing rituals that I've had to deal with, internet sales aside. When I make it known I have a gun for sale it never fails, someone acts interested, asks for you price, they even agree to the price and then nothing. No answer on calls, no response to texts, etc. Suddenly 2-3 weeks later, "Oh, I don't have the money now."

I had an AR a friend of mine wanted to buy. He asked me if he could pay in installments. I said yes, but I was holding the gun while the money came in. I never saw the first payment. Two months later I tell him I'm shopping it around and he acts like I did him dirty. The guy claimed he couldn't foot all of the money at once because he couldn't afford it, but every weekend he's up in Chicago or down in Nashville living the good life taking in Hockey, Football, or baseball with his kids. Sorry buddy. When you hand me over 100% of the cash, it's yours.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All metal inquiries I've ever had on this site had been responded to quickly. I try to give all other metals questions the same courtesy. Most of us understand how the markets can move and prices can change rather quickly.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try not to let things bother me on the forums. I have found that when I start to get worked up, just give the other person the benefit of the doubt and just try to be nice and respectful. My real life is hectic and stressful enough to not let the internet get me too worked up.

I agree with Metalsman, metals will always sell. If someone doesn't get back to me and I lose a sale, someone else always comes along eventually.
  • Options
    Boy did you ever NAIL it M-man...and I want to thank those who've offered advice, it's been very helpful, thank you.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would hope to get a no thank you maybe next time

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figure no answer is the answer, but I don't hold it against them, its not personal.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a probe to see what their stuff is worth
  • Options
    Inquires are just that. And they come with no obligations.

• Options
    Not sure what Rich is saying is about an inquiry but more about conduct.... Just what I see and have seen much too much more lately.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone makes an inquiry, I think it's rude to not respond. That said, I've had many great transactions here and I've never encountered anything but polite communication here. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Metalsman

Not sure what Rich is saying is about an inquiry but more about conduct.... Just what I see and have seen much too much more lately.

This ^^^...the point of the thread.

I figure no answer is the answer, but I don't hold it against them, its not personal.

Yeah I get that, I'm not saying that though. It's just a good way to do business though because after it being done over & over, the seller isn't going to answer their inquiry going forward.

When this becomes the standard approach, and it's very close because it's even being mentioned in this thread as being acceptable, sellers on the BST will move on, as many have...hence the BST here becoming a morgue of actual transactions taking place.

I'll stop beating a dead horse because it's apparent that some care less about it but most get what I'm saying and that's good enough for me. Carry on, business as usual, whatever that is for you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

If someone makes an inquiry, I think it's rude to not respond. That said, I've had many great transactions here and I've never encountered anything but polite communication here. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.image

That is great Phall.... but only half of the communication thread..... how about the person who's inquiry you responded to......should they respond to you?????.....Is it rude for them not to???? and this is what the OP (Rich) was pointing out in his OP...

I have a list of those here whom cant use basic conduct... such as "make an offer" as posted in a listing..... then cant seem to answer back to a price I've offered them in return via PM that they requested...and now just ignore their inquiries and CHOOSE.. not to sell to them.

• Options
    "the customer is always right" has worked well for me.

I called six local dealers to get their best price on a car I'm looking at. When I decide which one to go with should I call the other five back to let them know I'm not buying?

• Options

I called six local dealers to get their best price on a car I'm looking at. When I decide which one to go with should I call the other five back to let them know I'm not buying?

Apples and Oranges...
  • Options

Apples and Oranges...

coins and cars, both retail purchases by a consumer shopping for the best price.

• Options

Apples and Oranges...

coins and cars, both retail purchases by a consumer shopping for the best price.

A BST Members board.. which this is and any given auto dealer you choose to call.... Seriously very different.

not about the item.. its about the conduct.. or lack there of in this Venue... which Rich has pointed out as have others. JMHO.
  • Options

Apples and Oranges...

A BST Members board.. which this is and any given auto dealer you choose to call.... Seriously very different.

not about the item.. its about the conduct.. or lack there of in this Venue... which Rich has pointed out as have others. JMHO.

Seller is wrong in his expectations. If a buyer wants to buy his product buyer will let him know. Seller should not expect a "I'm not gonna buy your product" from everyone who asks a question about the product.

Does this seller practice the same "courtesy" he expects from others every time he messages an ebayer with a question about an ebay item? He can say he does but I seriously doubt it.

Since the item being discussed is a BST listing I suspect the post was nothing more than an attempt to get others to help make the inquiring party feel some sort of guilt for not showing the seller's expected courtesy. Seller could more easily have just directly messaged the other party with his disappointment.

• Options

Apples and Oranges...

Seller is wrong in his expectations. If a buyer wants to buy his product buyer will let him know. Seller should not expect a "I'm not gonna buy your product" from everyone who asks a question about the product.

Does this seller practice the same "courtesy" he expects from others every time he messages an ebayer with a question about an ebay item? He can say he does but I seriously doubt it.

again.. Apples and Oranges... this is NOT Ebay... or a car dealership... nor is a PM.image
  • Options

not about the item..

I know what it's about. It's about the OP using a "discussion" to try to instill some sort of guilt on a fellow forum.

• Options

again.. Apples and Oranges... this is NOT Ebay... or a car dealership... nor is a PM.image

I know what it's about. It's about the OP using a "discussion" to try to instill some sort of guilt on a fellow forum.

That's making it a bit personal Derry.... and more off topic.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland

image I try to follow up if changed mind/not interested now/etc. It's common courtesy.

• Options

I only pointed out that it was a bit personal beginning with the original post.

• Options

I only pointed out that it was a bit personal beginning with the original post.

So now you're a mind reader, let me add that to you to the breadth of things you claim to be.

I'm not taking the bait, because it stinks and I know it's your basic troll bait casting to make this thread turn ugly, which is what you thrive on.

I, for the most part, am done with this topic and have since moved on, thanked those who've provided alternative solutions, and WILL be changing the way I do business here with regards to this topic. Carry on, again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

hmmm, but when the person who asked holds you up from selling the same item(s) to another because you're a nice guy and want to wait to hear for a response from the first person and don't, that po's me. Then you go to the 2nd person a relatively short time later and ask them if they're still interested and they say no, again...frustrating.

You held yourself up from selling the item, not the person who inquired. My point in this thread is that sometimes you just have to put the blame where it really belongs. Apologies if trying to help you see this offends you.

• Options
    Boy.... And I thought the subject mayer was about courtesy/conduct or lack there of on this forum..., which I believe is VERY present here.... Regardless of anyones personal agenda....RIP.??
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BST? Yes, I expect a higher level of courtesy from this particular group. And that would include a reply/PM stating "no longer interested." That takes all of 1 minute out of your day. It's our forum. You either support it or you don't. If the initial contact is rather informal or inconclusive, such as "hey Joe, what are you asking on that?" or "what is your bottom line?" Then those don't mean all that much...tire kicking. Those are different than "I think I could use it," "it's just what I need for my set," or "I'm very interested, give me a day to think on it."

And if you specifically ask them to get back to you either way as POM has suggested, then by all means get back to the seller either way. I will admit that sometimes the prices tossed in my direction are shockingly high (ie insane). And in those instances I almost feel like I shouldn't respond to "shot-takers."
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

You held yourself up from selling the item, not the person who inquired. My point in this thread is that sometimes you just have to put the blame where it really belongs. Apologies if trying to help you see this offends you.

lol...you know I've said it before and this reply of yours I feel warrants it being said again. You really are one self serving, do-no-wrong arrogant sob. But of course that is said with respect, so please don't take it too personal. image

I think the majority has spoken clearly on the point I've made here. and roadrunners post just above this is the nail in the coffin for this topic. Nicely put rr!
  • Options

lol...you know I've said it before and this reply of yours I feel warrants it being said again. You really are one self serving, do-no-wrong arrogant sob. But of course that is said with respect, so please don't take it too personal. image

I think the majority has spoken clearly on the point I've made here. and roadrunners post just above this is the nail in the coffin for this topic. Nicely put rr!

Well, at least i didn't resort to name calling. And you're the one demanding forum courtesy? image

You asked a question here and you got your answers. Ya gotta learn to accept them just like ya gotta learn that some tire kickers will get back to you and some won't.

• Options
    And as I have done.... Just ignore those whom have a history of bottom feeding, fishing or kicking image........
  • Options

Well, at least i didn't resort to name calling. And you're the one demanding forum courtesy? image

You asked a question here and you got your answers. Ya gotta learn to accept them just like ya gotta learn that some tire kickers will get back to you and some won't.

"I only pointed out that it was a bit personal beginning with your original post" within minutes of my posting. image It's a two way street bud.
  • Options
    I tried to do a few deals in my life. And a few dealers in my life reminded me that it's their way or no way. That made my life simpler.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to do a few deals in my life. And a few dealers in my life reminded me that it's their way or no way. That made my life simpler.

Great advice. There are a couple of dealers that I've discovered that are impossible to deal with. Fortunately the vast majority of dealers are a pleasure to deal with and they get all my business. There are too many great dealers in the marketplace to put up with those few dealers that go out of their way to make life difficult for potential customers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    POM , let's take it from here :
    …but when the person who asked holds you up from selling the same item(s) to another because you're a nice guy and want to wait to hear for a response from the first person and don't, that pops me. Then you go to the 2nd person a relatively short time later and ask them if they're still interested and they say no, again…frustrating. "

The person who asked showed interest, not commitment. So he didn't show the same respect that you would have doesn't really matter (though I "feel" for you).
    The 2nd person is in the same boat as the first. If they're "on the fence, or just fishing", it's still not a deal. I can empathize and even relate to the frustration. At the end of the day your supporters will support you and your detractors will attack you.
  • Options
    …but when the person who asked holds you up from selling the same item(s) to another because you're a nice guy and want to wait to hear for a response from the first person and don't, that pops me. Then you go to the 2nd person a relatively short time later and ask them if they're still interested and they say no, again…frustrating. "

The person who asked showed interest, not commitment. So he didn't show the same respect that you would have doesn't really matter (though I "feel" for you).
    The 2nd person is in the same boat as the first. If they're "on the fence, or just fishing", it's still not a deal. I can empathize and even relate to the frustration. At the end of the day your supporters will support you and your detractors will attack you.

ANDDDD.. Fishing is for Lakes or Oceans... Kicking is for Car Dealerships.... POM's point from the get go was....PEople around here have sunken to the less than common courtesy and conduct that used to be here..... HE is 110% correct on that issue. Many of those whom I have has less then pleasant PM's with here.... are not answering to this tread..... just shos and confirms his point.... and that's MHO.
  • Options
    Okay metals man… And between you and I , you have had some great offers up and the only time I recall trying to do a deal with you, I had a small problem with using the PayPal gift , even offering the extra percentage, as I recall. But I know deals when I see them and still respect that position. ( I almost made an offer to you the other day on 47 ounces but didn't want to insult image ) I may seem like a lowballer…. being in a brick and mortar every day.

For those guys who are not dealing with each other online or on the boards, I can respect that, too. But why let feelings get in the way of a deal ? Or for that matter, why not capitalize when the opportunity presents itself ? That's a rhetorical question.
  • Options

ANDDDD.. Fishing is for Lakes or Oceans... Kicking is for Car Dealerships.... POM's point from the get go was....PEople around here have sunken to the less than common courtesy and conduct that used to be here..... HE is 110% correct on that issue. Many of those whom I have has less then pleasant PM's with here.... are not answering to this tread..... just shos and confirms his point.... and that's MHO.

again, spot on.
  • Options
    Okay metals man… And between you and I , you have had some great offers up and the only time I recall trying to do a deal with you, I had a small problem with using the PayPal gift , even offering the extra percentage, as I recall. But I know deals when I see them and still respect that position. ( I almost made an offer to you the other day on 47 ounces but didn't want to insult image ) I may seem like a lowballer…. being in a brick and mortar every day.

For those guys who are not dealing with each other online or on the boards, I can respect that, too. But why let feelings get in the way of a deal ? Or for that matter, why not capitalize when the opportunity presents itself ? That's a rhetorical question.

AND... All metals sell eventually to someone whom is willing to pay.....and a seller whom is happy with that..... I'm not here to try to be the CHEAPEST seller of PM's ....just offering for sale a product at a good price... Buyers shouldn't expect a price better than anywhere else as well.

Secondly.... I'm not selling anything....to someone looking to flip for a profit.....if you can great...but sure I not lowering my price on metals so someone can flip them for a profit....pm,s at this level on these boards are not intended for such expectations.