Home Precious Metals
Options

273 gram gold nugget

VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not associated with this piece in any way. Thought some of you might enjoy the pics.

Gold

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite enjoyable....Australian to my eyes. $18,000 would be my guess.

At this size they start getting pretty pricey. Not much native rock so the eye appeal soars.

Bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purty
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    cool paper weight
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the kind of finds we have in our dreams...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edumacate me please. Do all gold nuggets have the same set gold purity and if so what is it?

Appears gold nuggets are always valued by weight and I never see any mention of purity.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Certified gold nuggets usually have estimates of purity from the source of the cert. How accurate those are is subject to debate. In this case the images indicate a high level of purity but that's all we know.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it's assumed that the purity of an assayed nugget is continuous throughout the nugget?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I'm not sure. I imagine a specific gravity test is done and perhaps a small piece is assayed. On a large nugget like the one linked it would surely have a significant margin of error.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    Purity really does not matter with larger nuggets. The host rock or slag is so light weight in comparison (see quartz/gold combo) that the host rock is pretty much ignored unless it amounts to a large percentage of the weight.

Purity of nuggets does vary and usually they are from 21-23k. Australian nuggets are among the most pure.

Weight/eye appeal are the most determining factors. Location not so much unless it vies for one of the heaviest in an area/state/country.

bobimage
  • Options
    Just a few minutes left to go!

bobimage
  • Options
    Someone got a heck of a deal, in my humble opinion.

bobimage
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Edumacate me please. Do all gold nuggets have the same set gold purity and if so what is it?

Appears gold nuggets are always valued by weight and I never see any mention of purity.

From what I know the purity will vary from piece to piece. My local B&M will shoot one with their assay gun if you ask them. Gives a readout of several other metals amalgamated as well.

Most pieces I've seen under 1 Oz need to have something cool going for them shape wise or be of natural crystalline to pull any premium. Pieces over 1 Oz tend to bring a premium of say 5-20 % depending on cool factor. I've also notices that pieces larger than say 5 Oz the premium will level out as the buyer pool thins out.

For me I like a piece from 25-100 grams WITH quarts matrix which almost always adds authenticity as well as tremendous eye appeal. I'll pass on a BLOB every time. I know they aren't the go to choice for stackers, but they really spice up a coin collection and make great crossover pieces for folks that collect both coins and rocks or maybe prospects themselves.