Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I am so frustrated... problem fixed

I dropped off this Scotland ryal at the FUN show for crossover at PCGS. Yippee! it crossed.

But despite putting down 1571 as the date on the submission form, PCGS attributed it as nd (1578) which refers to the date the revaluation counterstamp was applied, which was also how NGC attributed it.

The problem is, I'm doing a PCGS Registry set of Scotland ryals and 1571 is one of the last two I need. This is the "sword dollar" variety, which was only made from 1567 to 1571.

Isn't it FREAKING obvious that this is a 1571??

What do I do now?
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would a phone call to customer service help?

The coin has the year, and the counterstamp is a later addition--like a gin mark on a Japanese yen I would think. The gin marks were added at a specific time, but the coins are slabbed by their original date.

The only time I ever asked PCGS about a coin was because it was misdated on the label (mixed up the emperors) and they cheerfully fixed it and paid the shipping home--it was a show drop off for me so there was no shipping TO them.

It wouldn't hurt to ask, and if there is a particular person to ask maybe someone here could recommend.

edited to add: there may be more weight for your argument if the majority of the original year coins ended up with a counterstamp...if you have that kind of data it might support them re-designating this one.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three other date coins that have counterstamps. All are attributed on the holder with their respective dates.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DennisH

I have three other date coins that have counterstamps. All are attributed on the holder with their respective dates.

Well, this will do. Give them the cert numbers or prove to them that you own them whichever way you want,along with their images, and the shipping to and from is an INsignificant reason to be pissed off for someone who's building such a rare and pricey (I assume) Registry set. You know that THEY are playing YOU with the Registry, and not the other way round, right? image

Cathy, I'm shocked by the numismatic authority that you've become. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Coin arrived in today's mail... right after I heard back from a longtime friend and key individual at PCGS:

"It's a mechanical error. Send it back and we'll correct it."

Hooray!!!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me like they should have put the host coin date AND the counterstamp date on there.

They did so on my French Colonies sou. Even gave a separate grade for the counterstamp.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad they are fixing it. That would bother me, too.
  • Options
    Update:

The coin just arrived back, attributed as a 1571 and with the date (sword) side facing to the front of the holder. The "C/M XF details" notation is still there (why is that even worthy of label space?). The frustration, postage and time involved to get to this point are partly mollified by it upgrading from NGC-30 to PCGS-35. But not entirely.

Sigh... But it's what we do.

When in doubt, don't.