Home Metal Detecting
Options

In the days before pinpointers

Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
Screwdrivers were the way to find targets. This barber dime was hit from the eye to the rim.. It resides as a special coin in my Dansco 7070. As found, never cleaned

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use my ol' dull screw driver.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    I've scratched enough with my shovel digging plugs. Can't imagine the scratch ratio for screwdrivers!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...pinpointers have saved many a coin.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: metalmeister
    I still use my ol' dull screw driver.

same here.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screwdriver for me to. No dead spots several days later.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    The best stuff is too deep to recover with a screwdriver.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Pinpointers are great indeed!

One just needs to remember that they aren't digging tools (this coming from a guy who has broken a few pinpointers when being too lazy to switch between pinpointer and trowel) image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Wow, would love to see a video clip of that happening. I think we've all tried pushing some dirt with ours... it's there and it's looks like it should be able to move some dirt
  • Options
    For me it happens over time, especially with one particular pinpointer model (which I shall not name, as I know this is entirely my own fault!).
    It seems they gradually weaken, until the whole "pointy part" eventually breaks off from the main chassis without even applying too much force.

Usually they can still be rescued with super glue. image
    I always carry two in case I break one image

• Options
    Is it a Istol Pay Obe Pray? Or something like that. Rusty on my Pig Latin...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Is it a Istol Pay Obe Pray? Or something like that. Rusty on my Pig Latin...

Nope!
    I'm pretty sure one of them has been pictured in some old posts of mine, but I'm not offering any clues!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the urge to move dirt with the probe is strong... so convenient... but will kill the probe

eventually. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an otherwise-decent 1916-D Barber quarter and 1913 Canadian large cent with similar (or worse) "ouchies". image

Hit the Canadian cent across the reverse with my dig knife. The Barber quarter I didn't hit with my tool, but when I saw its edge peeking out from the side of the hole, I pulled it out of the dirt and scratched it on the rock it had been resting on for all that time. Bummer.

It happens, though. Electronic pinpointers definitely have helped prevent a lot of similar injuries, thank goodness.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.