Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Has Krause Corrected the Widespread Errors in Gold & Silver Weights?

I am currently using the following editions of the Krause Standard Catalog:

1600s - 5th
1700s - 6th
1800s - 7th
1900s - 42nd
2000s - 9th

The books that cover the 1900s and 2000s are among the worst Krause catalogs ever published, they are filled with thousands of errors in the ASW and AGW of coins from countless countries.

I think if KP had any class they would replace these books with new corrected editions when those corrections are made at no charge, but that is a different topic I suppose.

I do want to replace the offending editions as soon as the corrections have been made, but I do not want to spend any more money for incorrect data. Does anyone know if the changes to ASW and AGW have been made?
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to hold back on my criticism of Krause because I was afraid they'd quit publication but now I think this would be best for the hobby since it would open the door for better publications from abroad and force collectors to research their own prices.

From what I can tell each edition gets worse. They fix one error and two new spring up. The only editions that are half decent were the '76 and '86. They're like a sinking rowboat that someone is drilling holes in the bottom to let the water out. Forget pricing. You're lucky if they even get all the countries included.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I keep holding out hope that they will turn the ship around, but there certainly has not been a solid edition in quite some time.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those books are the cash cow which keeps getting milked. The only problem is the cow needs to be fed once in a while.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    To me, having out of date or unrealistic price information is one thing, I do not really use the catalogs for pricing. However, giving the wrong weight or metal content for hundreds of coins and having whole sections missing from the book is not something I can accept.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    They do once in a while fix the more glaring errors. As of the 4th edition of the 1701-1800 book, the plate coin of a 1940's Fiji florin used for an 18th century Austrian thaler was finally corrected. Even that obvious bit of editing (a.k.a. lack thereof) took a couple editions to fix.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    Aethelred, my editions are as follows, the bold indicate newer versions than you are showing:

1600s - 6th

1700s - 6th

1800s - 7th

1900s - 43rd

2000s - 10th

I've not ever thought about the weights since I "try" to concentrate on numismatic value wherever possible. With that said my full disclosure is I'm really NOT a coin collector but a research person (dies, varieties, etc.)

You might consider citing specific examples you've discovered and write to Krause about them and ask their plans for correction.

Regards.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired