Home Precious Metals

Fake Canada 2014 $250 silver owl

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
A dealer on my old dealer-to-dealer network reported that a person came in trying to sell a fake Canada 2014 $250 silver owl. That denomination should be four inches in diameter and weigh 32.15 troy oz. This piece was only one ounce, 39 mm. Had fancy presentation box but no certificate. Even had colorized eyes.

Not purchased so not checked to see if even silver. Face value would be around $175 U.S.

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    The fake was 1 ounce? Wow, probably the worst fake of all time. Short by 31.15 oz's.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RMLTM79
    The fake was 1 ounce? Wow, probably the worst fake of all time. Short by 31.15 oz's.

This was my thought as well...
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the RCM has become such a third world country in what they are issuing that most people are probably not familiar with this coin. They might look and see that a $250 coin with an owl was made, but if they don't check the specs they could be fooled.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to sell such an item to a dealer was his first mistake.... Cheers, RickO