Options
1952 Type 1 and Type 2 Washingtons
I noticed this morning that the "LIBERTY" in 1952 quarters looks different from 1953s
What caught my eye was that I have a 1952 that appears to have the 1953 lettering.
What is MOST noticeable is the thickness of the bottom of the "L", the size of the inside of the bottom hoop of the "B", the thickness of the "E" as well as the slant of the middle prong of the "E", and the thickness of the top bar of the "T".
Has this been noted?
Am I crazy?

Here are 2 1952 S coins. Notice the lettering differences I pointed out above.


What caught my eye was that I have a 1952 that appears to have the 1953 lettering.
What is MOST noticeable is the thickness of the bottom of the "L", the size of the inside of the bottom hoop of the "B", the thickness of the "E" as well as the slant of the middle prong of the "E", and the thickness of the top bar of the "T".
Has this been noted?
Am I crazy?

Here are 2 1952 S coins. Notice the lettering differences I pointed out above.


How I pay the bills:
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
0
Comments
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
He lists the ODV-006 as "thin letters" which corresponds to your first image.
I could find no mention of which is more common.
Hope this helps.
IN GOD WE TRUST is most interesting on one variety.
It shows signs of doubling on the bottoms of the letters G, O and E.
N has a dimple in the center of it. This does not show up on proofs due to polishing or on worn coins.
The upper left of R has a bite take out of it to accommodate the cross bar of the adjacent T.
The center top point of W sticks up above the end points.
This is what he called variety I.
If the listed characteristics are missing, it is variety II.
The thinner center bars of BER of LIBERTY indicate variety II.
The letters of 1951 variety II are more bold than 1952 variety II.
1952 S variety I was estimated to be a mintage of 1,000,000.
1952 P Variety II was estimated at 8,000,000, but tough to find.
1951 Variety II proof may not exist. All other combinations do.
1951 P var I 34,500,000
1951 P var II 8,500,000
1951 D var I 28,000,000
1951 D var II 7,000,000
1951 S var I 7,000,000
1951 S var II 2,000,000
1951 Proof var I 57,500
1951 Proof var II ?
1952 P var I 31,000,000
1952 P var II 8,000,000
1952 D var I 35,000,000
1952 D var II 15,000,000
1952 S var I 1,000,000
1952 S var II 13,000,000
1952 Proof var I 41,000
1952 Proof var II 41,000
"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"
My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress
any ...Cheers, RickO
I was surprised to see that the thin BER of LIBERTY applies to 1952 type II ONLY.
1951 type II, 1951 type I and 1952 type I match in that area.
Bill also noted minor differences in the 5 of the date and the end of Washington's queue.
I guess we have to rely on IN GOD WE TRUST for the 1951's.
New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.
A very similar thing exists on 1985-P quarters with the biggest difference being the distance between the E of LIBERTY and Washington's head. On ~.75% of the mintage this distance is much greater. These don't appear in mint sets.
There are such things that do appear in mint sets from the type "b" reverse silvers to 1981-P quarters with a type "d" reverse.