Home Precious Metals
Options

Question for you PM stackers.

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are still stacking at these new higher prices thinking that PM's will continue to go up in price or have you temporarily stopped stacking because you think this may be another false start and PM prices will retreat again like they've done so many times in the past?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    loaded up lots more silver last week. holding, waiting on another buying opportunity. the usual mouthpieces will talk it down, but they can't keep it down. holding long term.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    loaded up lots more silver last week. holding, waiting on another buying opportunity. the usual mouthpieces will talk it down, but they can't keep it down. holding long term.

derry....when you say you are holding long term what time line are you talking about....5, 10, 20 years or maybe more? Many here are in their 50s, 60s or even older. Long term may be longer than some folks life expectancy. Can always leave to heirs I know.
    Just curious here...your age? And, what you feel long term means.
    Thanks.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    long term = 5 years +.

62 years old.

Would rather leave PMs to my heirs than dollar bills. After all it's money that I don't really need. Life is comfortable as long as da boyz allow me to remain in the middle class. If they don't I'll just sell some PMs. While most were paying high interest on debt over the years I was stacking that money. And here lies the key to being able to stack - sacrifice a life of luxury that is built on debt.

I have no more of an exit strategy with PMs than I do with savings accounts. They are one and the same, only different in the risks they face.

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Good question. It is kind of exciting to watch the appreciation in PM prices. Right now, I've set my exit points for the existing stash but we'll see if I do it and if it makes my exit points. But to answer your question...still stacking but picking my material in a pretty narrow window; 1/10 ozers and ASE's and an occasional ATB 5 ozer for the deep stash but strictly discretionary cash and not much until we find another plateau. Good Luck out there!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Buying opportunity at APMEX.....they are having a flash sale for 2 more hours....$0.99 over spot..looksie here. At the time of this posting, a roll of 20 of the rounds in the link, winds up at $336.60, with free standard USPS shipping.

edited for.....can order at that price (close to it either way, whatever spot may be) until 4:00pm ET (1:00pm PT, obviously).
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    " these new higher prices"

Silver is $15.xx an ounce!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am continuing to add more as cash flow permits. Typically I look for deals that are advantageous at current spot prices.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slowing down after the increase hoping the price drops.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I'm continuing my 1/4 gold and 10 ounces of silver per month. If gold reaches $1500 I'll probably slow that to half ounce gold every 3 months. If silver reaches $25 I'll back that off to about 5-7 ounces/mo.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a pattern here. Those with a lot of PM's are hoping to see the prices go up while new stackers with only a small quantity of PM's want the price to drop so they can buy more PM's. I guess this makes sense for each group. LOL

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    I see a pattern here. Those with a lot of PM's are hoping to see the prices go up while new stackers with only a small quantity of PM's want the price to drop so they can buy more PM's. I guess this makes sense for each group. LOL

Great observation. That is me and my son to a T.

I sold most of my silver bullion when it was around $30-$35 an ounce in 2011 at the Central States Show. I am loving this drop. Been waiting 4 or 5 years for this image

I still remember my middle son contemplating selling his set of Silver Eagles and Engelhard bars at the time but he decided not to. He thought it was going to $100 and told me I was nuts. He still kicks himself to this day. He is hoping for an increase like you said.

My target is $350 or less a roll for Silver Eagles but I still buy them a little when they are under $400.

I would love to see silver less than $10 an ounce.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just staying the course, buying a bit here n there as cash flow permits. I still have rolls of ASE's that I paid $180 for.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Why PMs? Because the chickens always come home to roost.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've held precious metals continually since 1976, 40 years now, gold and silver, and later, platinum too, were my first and will always be my sentimentally and aesthetically favorite asset class. Made more money with stocks, and found greater personal utility and cash flow income with real estate, but there's nothing like a big box of gold and silver that you can jingle and clink in your hands. (and cash in relatively quickly and easily in pretty much any town in the world, at least in relatively small quantities at a time.)

Have been buying some interesting bullion here and there, but generally prefer collectible coins with artistic value, historical relevance and greater numismatic premium. I'd buy a lot more plain ole gold and silver bullion at about half of current prices and sell most of what I have at about double current prices. In between, mostly just grazing and nibbling when the mood strikes

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rescued some dollars today. Bought some of those shiny yellow metal discs. Lol, I see that it's down $4.00 already. I don't feel too concerned at this level.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Down $14.50 now. This is why I don't time the market.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

Down $14.50 now. This is why I don't time the market.

Now down $34. Easy come, easy go.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just holding.....I do not think (there I go again) that this is going to be a major dip, nor

did I think it would be the beginning of major gains....The big trigger (whatever that may be) is

yet to come. I mainly hold, grab an opportunity here and there. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I may buy more, in fact.

I knew it would happen.