Home Metal Detecting
Options

First hunt of 2016: 7 Silvers, 2 buffalos, Contest winner announced too!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
The weather was super nice yesterday so had to take the drive to the Silver Beach. Used the White's TDI SL. Man, forgot how hard it is digging those deep targets in the mud/shells/clay. Add to that I'm out of shape and it was rough going.

Started very slow with not much to show for the first two hours. Got remnants of a whole harmonica, so will clean that up shortly to see what it looks like. After 2 hours of digging a foot down or more for scrap metal and other misc objects, I moved to the other part of the beach. Started slow, but finally found a merc. That was a huge relief. Then a second merc, and a third, and a silver Washington quarter. Then #700 shows up... a 1942 Philly Merc!

Looking at the guesses, Pocketpiececommens guessed 1943-P merc, so he's the big winner!! Musky1011 guessed 1943 merc yesterday, but the decision reverts to the first person to guess that coin. Congrats PPC!

Ended the hunt with 7 silver coins. Thought the one pendant may be silver, but it just doesn't look right. Also got a crotal bell? Very bizarre to find that there. The SBA was a nice surprise too. Part of a pocket spill along with several Roosevelt dimes, and a nickel or two.

Not a single pull tab either! But plenty of brass screws, copper nails, and other bits of metal. Could barely continue digging at the end. Overall a good start to 2016. HH all!

#700 right here!

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the contest and congrats to PPC.

Great finds as usual !
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super hunt and a great start to 2016. Congratulations PPC....great contest.

Now...on to #800 silver.... my guess is ...... (drum roll) A 1964 P Quarter.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Jeez, first hunt and 7 silvers in the bank already! image

Congrats!
    The SBA must be a scarce find. I can't even remember when I've last seen a picture of one here on this board.

Have you found any of the earlier dollar coins? (Ike/Peace/Morgan..) I can only assume they're scarcer than hen's teeth
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Dollar coins in general aren't too common here these days. They never really caught on, even with the Presidential and Sacagawea series. We won't give up our dollar bills until we're forced to.

Unfortunately no Ike, Peace or Morgans from this guy. My oldest dollar coin is a 1979 SBA dollar.