Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Credit Card Fraud?

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is sort of a query and a heads-up...

One of my credit cards got hit for several fraudulent charges yesterday, that has been exclusively used at Amazon and the US Mint for the past year. (One fraudulent charge was for a pajamagram. Awwww, nothing says love on St. Valentines day like fraudulent card use, huh? image)

I don't think that I've inputted the CC number at my keyboard in that amount of time either, but I've run scans on both my on-line machines (both light malwarebytes scan and a deeper scan by my security suite) and they come out clean.

So I'm assuming they got the CC number from a compromised vendor database (most likely Amazon or PFSWeb), or Capitol One itself has been compromised. I suppose it's possible that I used the card at some other vendor (over a year ago) that got compromised, but I find that unlikely. My statements on that account are electronic, so stealing a bill via the US Mail is impossible.

These charges were just posted today. (Well, yesterday now. I check my accounts every morning.)

Did anyone else get hit by bogus charges? (And you might want to keep a closer eye on your accounts for the next few days, just in case it was PFSWeb at fault...)

Thank you. You may now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast, already in progress...

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a card on file at the US Mint and I received a notice from the issuer saying the card may have been compromised and they are sending my a new account.

There we no charges posted and I use it other places.

Maybe the mint got hacked:

• Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Maybe the mint got hacked:

That's why I'm posting this here.

The Silver Twain Commems go on sale today, and am getting twitchy about adding another credit card on a vendor's site that could be compromised. (My original card has obviously been cancelled...)

If a lot of people here have had recent credit card problems on the card that they use with the mint, I can wait on the MT Commems. image
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Last week, I got three cards totaling $20K for a guy in Mass. Started recieving mail for two others (NYC and LA). It's rampant. All my neighboring business's are getting the same. At least a dozen victims and likely more. Had a guy stealing mail a few months ago, so maybe somebody is dumpster diving? The crooks get your info, order the cards, and do a redirect of the mail via USPS change of address. You wont ever know until it's too late.I go to the local PD and they just don't care. I located my three victims via google and Facebook and informed them of their identity theft. That in itself is pretty frightening.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: unclebob
    Last week, I got three cards totaling $20K for a guy in Mass. Started recieving mail for two others (NYC and LA). It's rampant. All my neighboring business's are getting the same. At least a dozen victims and likely more. Had a guy stealing mail a few months ago, so maybe somebody is dumpster diving? The crooks get your info, order the cards, and do a redirect of the mail via USPS change of address. You wont ever know until it's too late.I go to the local PD and they just don't care. I located my three victims via google and Facebook and informed them of their identity theft. That in itself is pretty frightening.

You should contact the issuing bank. If you read security journals these days, Visa and other issuing authorities are able to isolate fraud faster than merchants these days...

My issue comes from fraud on a long established card, not used with any new merchants for just over a year. Only Amazon and the Mint.

Now that I've thought about it, it could be from another merchant who I haven't bought from in a long time, but still had this CC on file and got their customer base compromised.

Well, the bank is investigating. I guess I'll buy those Twain commems today... image
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one card I ONLY use for usps shipping and that got hacked.

Oh-and this card is a new card in that it has that new chip for extra protection.

The previous card I had for 2 years and no chip (also only for usps) and never had a problem
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been hit a few times, over the years. Don't know how a few got away with it, but that's the cost of living.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Been hit a few times, over the years. Don't know how a few got away with it, but that's the cost of living.

Yeah, I know, but that doesn't mean I'm not wishing bad tidings on the perp.

I wonder who the lucky recipient of the pajamagram was supposed to be.

HAhahahaaha...
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife used our card at a local gas station. Turned out there was a "skimming" device attached and within two days we had several fraudulent charges. Very sneaky units. Almost no one notices.

Lance.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got hit at 3:30AM this AM on my Visa. Charge made by Douglasfair, Mobile Al.

It is the card we use for Amazon and US Mint.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Checked my card related to the US Mint and so far nothing. Same with the Amazon card.

Thank you for the heads up though!
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevin
    Checked my card related to the US Mint and so far nothing. Same with the Amazon card.

Thank you for the heads up though!

Likewise..(Chase Visa) used for both.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically your risk is zero, what are you worried about when using another card? The hassle of cancelling it? Not like you can get stuck for any of the charges?

Credit Card companies like you to believe that your should be worried (so that you protect your card) but the real liability is with them, so they are happy to get you to help with that.

I admit, it is a hassle to report it, and resetting up reoccurring payments on it. But the financial liability is zero, and does not mean they get info like your SSN etc.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

My wife used our card at a local gas station. Turned out there was a "skimming" device attached and within two days we had several fraudulent charges. Very sneaky units. Almost no one notices.

Lance.

That's why it's smart to always pay inside. Pay at the pump, get ripped at the pump.
  • Options

I have a card on file at the US Mint and I received a notice from the issuer saying the card may have been compromised and they are sending my a new account. There we no charges posted and I use it other places. Maybe the mint got hacked:

It's a royal PITA when the CC Company cancels an account, esp. when it has recurring auto charges. I have one card that I use for that purpose and little else. I'm glad B of A is looking out for my account tho.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a shift in liability from the CC issuers to the merchants back in October 2015 if the merchants didn't switch to terminals that use Smart Cards (aka EMV and Chip & PIN).
    Since crooks can't encode their own magnetic stripes anymore (and they still have access to account numbers) they have to go the Card Not Present (CNP) route and steal online and mail order.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin
    Lance.

Read and be amazed...

All About Skimmers
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AMRC
    So basically your risk is zero, what are you worried about when using another card? The hassle of cancelling it? Not like you can get stuck for any of the charges?

I admit, it is a hassle to report it, and resetting up reoccurring payments on it.

The first is this.

The second is you don't know where the compromise came from. A vendor, or did something get into your system and somehow logged a credit card number. Should you have somehow gotten a keylogger on your system, typing in a new credit card will certainly compromise that card too.

The third is having that credit card down and unavailable until a new one is issued. I can stand having one CC down, but having a second down would be a royal pain. I only have three of 'em, and each is used for specific purchases.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BackroadJunkie, do you carry the card around with you? The reason I ask is there are 'portable scanners' that can get the cc info if they are within 2 feet of the card. It could be someone standing next to you in a line.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: davewesen
    BackroadJunkie, do you carry the card around with you? The reason I ask is there are 'portable scanners' that can get the cc info if they are within 2 feet of the card. It could be someone standing next to you in a line.

No, this particular card has never left the house. (Used for web purchases only.)

Besides, field scanners can't get the CVV on the card, which is also needed for most internet purchases. (It's not supposed to be stored with the transaction, either, but that was commonly ignored by many a merchant.)
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really scary.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

There was a shift in liability from the CC issuers to the merchants back in October 2015 if the merchants didn't switch to terminals that use Smart Cards (aka EMV and Chip & PIN).

Since crooks can't encode their own magnetic stripes anymore (and they still have access to account numbers) they have to go the Card Not Present (CNP) route and steal online and mail order.

I have yet to get a chip card for my Chase Bank CC account.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got notified today.... Bank reissuing CC.

No fraud as yet on the card, supposedly it was only compromised. However they are sending out new card.

This card was used at both amazon and for mint subs. as others above have described, though of course I can't be 100% certain it was at one of these two places where the issue arose, but I highly suspect it is so.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think of it, MY cc bounced when my home ISP tried to take their monthly automatic bill out recently.

Don't think there was any fraud, though. I think I know where the blame properly lies. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    I have been hit several times with fraudulent charge, but not very recently.

One thing I do that others may find useful: I use a card which offers the ability to generate virtual account numbers. These are one-use numbers that you can setup with both time and dollar limits. I do this for all my online purchases. If the one-use number gets stolen, my main account is not compromised.

I don't want to shill for Citibank, but the card I use for this purpose is a Citi Double Cashback card. Virtual account numbers and 2% back on all purchases is a good deal for me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: hammer1
    Just got hit at 3:30AM this AM on my Visa. Charge made by Douglasfair, Mobile Al.

It is the card we use for Amazon and US Mint.

I missed this post. (I should pay more attention. image )

You had your credit card compromised the same day?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Cougar1978
    That is really scary.

Are you talking about the skimmer page?

I found out very early about skimmers, as they were being hard hit down in Florida (where I frequently travel.)

I inspect every ATM and gas station pump card reader I use. I've also taken to shielding the keypad when I use it. I never use a third party ATM, such as those in convenience stores.

It's also why I check all of my accounts and balances every morning...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

I have yet to get a chip card for my Chase Bank CC account.

They automatically sent one to me, but I think that was because of Target. Maybe Home Depot. image Get on their website or call them up and ask for a replacement card. They'll send one with the embedded chip. Your cc# and exp date will remain the same, so there'll be no hassle on updating all your accounts.
  • Options
    As a follow up, the CC in question got reissued, but a package containing a CCTV security system that I didn't order showed up at my door two days after the fraudulent charges. (Yes, it was addressed to me.)

It came via FedEx. Had a standard label.

Here's where it gets weird.

The company that sent it, nor FedEx, has any record this package was ever sent. No packing slip in the box, no paperwork of any kind. I checked with my credit monitoring people, and no new CC accounts have opened in my name.

So I'm sorta waiting for the other shoe to drop. Gosh, I hate living in exciting times. image

OT. Sorry about that. We now return you to your regularly schedule forum, already in progress...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file