Home U.S. Coin Forum

Large Cent Overdate 20 over 19 and 20% Off Center

Lot 651 of the 1/31 Goldberg auction - Winning bid $925

1820/19 N-1 Large Overdate 20 over 19 Off Center PCGS graded VG10.

Slightly glossy dark olive and steel brown with traces of extremely faint roughness in some of the protected areas on both sides. No marks or verdigris. Struck 20% off center to K-1. The date is strong and the legends that made it onto the planchet are clear. Our grade is VG8.
The "Mint Error" and "Struck 20% Off Center" features are noted on the PCGS label.

Estimated Value $1,000-UP.

Ex Ferris Stamp & Coin 9/14/1985-Jim Corrado, McCawley & Grellman Auctions/Goldberg?s 2/11/2007:466-Daniel W. Holmes, Jr., McCawley & Grellman Auctions/Goldbergs 9/19/2010:458-Maurice Shepherd (includes the Holmes collection envelope and lot ticket).

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting piece.... not for me at that price... I find errors interesting but cannot personally

justify the prices. Cheers, RickO
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I normally like varieties and mint errors, but this one does not do it for me. Cool combination...it may the price (just south of four figures) that puts me off.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 2010, the Goldbergs held the auction of Part III of Dan Holmes' large cent collection, this part devoted to errors, counterfeits, altered coins, etc. There were more than 500 error coins in that sale.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my error mint state ....that one is not for me ......
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are far more Large Cent errors then Half Cents. VG seems to be a pretty commonly encountered grade level for Large Cent mint errors as they just continued to circulate. Since mint error collecting didn't really take off until the 1950's no one at the time pulled any high grade examples out of circulation with striking issues. So when you do run across a Large Cent mint error in AU or MS which was set aside it's something special. I'm not sure if there is much of a market at VG unless someone new decides to collect these by date. As I see them year after year growing stale in dealer inventories. On many TPG examples surface conditions are overlooked in favor of the error.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Sonorandesertrat
    In 2010, the Goldbergs held the auction of Part III of Dan Holmes' large cent collection, this part devoted to errors, counterfeits, altered coins, etc. There were more than 500 error coins in that sale.

I would love to geta copy of that catalog, if anyone knows where I could find one.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sean: Try Bryce Brown (he posts as Preturb). He has copies of the softcover versions of the Holmes sales (Pt. I-IV) for sale individually every now and then.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Interesting, in the Goldberg sale of Dan Holmes part III

lot 458 listed it as VG8 with an estimated value of $500 - up.

He had some great errors!

In the same catalog they auctioned a huge group from

the Davy Collection of Half Cents Errors. Also terrific.

Both wonderful study resources.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file