Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1923 Peace Dollar NGC SAMPLE slab

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
I like larger denomination Sample Holders like the next person, but this one went for some crazy money! $220.27 Then again, when was the last time you saw a CAC (Green or Gold) bean on a SAMPLE slab?

1922 Peace Dollar NGC Sample Gold CAC
oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

I like larger denomination Sample Holders like the next person, but this one went for some crazy money! $220.27 Then again, when was the last time yu saw a CAC (Green or Gold) bean on a SAMPLE slab?

1922 Peace Dollar NGC Sample Gold CAC

That's really cool image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My my, I think the 60 was generous.....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda cool, but more like $40 cool to me.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a CAC on a SAMPLE slab image

I'm not sure if it should have been in the MS pile though

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. Put that cert number into the CAC search engine and you get:

Serial Number: 199999009
    Grading Service: NGC
    Description: 1887 Dollars Morgan MS63
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this from the NGC search function:

NGC Cert: 199999-009

Date/Info: 1964 D SAMPLE

Denomination: 10C

Grade: NGC

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe someone 'transferred' a CAC sticker... Which should raise danger flags across the hobby......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold CAC sticker is most likely legit as I've seen other soap bar Peace sample awarded as such.

The cert number probably just throws off the verification system at both services as it's a generic assignment?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CAC stickers have the anti-tamper properties which should make it apparent that it was removed from the previous holder...shouldn't it?

I would agree that the NGC cert is a generic, like the 12345678 for PCGS.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a gold bean to, that surprises me some.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MS60 was just a sample grade, random collections of BU dollars were used. CAC's Gold Bean means the coin would be solid for the next higher grade.

199998- and 199999- were used by NGC for a variety of sample slab runs, but only one shows in the database.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    The CAC stickers have the anti-tamper properties which should make it apparent that it was removed from the previous holder...shouldn't it?

I have only removed one. I bought an AU58 Trade Dollar that had a green CAC sticker. I broke the coin out to put it in a Dansco 7070 album. I kept the PCGS tag for future reference and just for laughs I tried to remove the sticker.

I didn't think it would come off easily but it did. I didn't want it that bad, so I didn't make a great effort to remove it. I just took a blunt object and pushed on it and it popped right off with no damage. It was still sticky, so I stuck it on the PCGS tag and filed it away.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file