Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade on this Fugio

Glossy light chocolate brown. The only marks are some shallow planchet fissures or voids on the obverse, as struck. The date is strong and the legends are clear.

I guess the grade depends on who you talk to.

I liked the strike and detail on this and put in an absentee bid for $600 in the 1/31 Goldberg auction. I wasn’t even close.

I have a 'States United' 4 Cinquefoils P.R. Fugio Cent PCGS MS61 and the detail on it doesn’t look as sharp as on this coin.

Lot 357 of 4179: Lot closed - Winning bid:$1,200

It’s raw now, listed with a EF40 grade, but it was in a PCGS AU50 holder

1787 Fugio Cent with STATES UNITED Newman 13-X R2 EF40. Glossy light chocolate brown. The only marks are some shallow planchet fissures or voids on the obverse, as struck. The date is strong and the legends are clear. This die variety was well reresented in the Bank of New York Hoard of mint state Fugio Cents, and this may be from that group. Removed from a PCGS slab graded AU50 (PCGS label #883.50/06649837 included). Listed on page 88 in the "Redbook."

Estimated Value $400-UP.

From the Norman Wolfe collection.

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not super-familiar with these, but I'll say VF 35.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Au-58 and nice
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    MS62BN. If it has luster (I can't see from photo), then MS63BN. The strike of this coin is amazing and this coin does not have clash marks which is a plus.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1

Please sell me all of your VF Fugio's like this.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely an AU or UNC coin. I'd want to see it in hand to get any more specific.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    AU55
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see this as a AU-MS example and if in a TPG holder wouldn't really want to guess at what they graded this with the slag striations and delaminations.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see what appears to be a little rub. AU58.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

au50, netted for plachet issues.

some coins get gennied for such issues.

gr8 coin though!

was this over-struck another coin. those pseudo clash marks obv dont match the rev.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1

Based on the other grades I'd say I was a little off image. Better under than over I guess...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    My guess is AU55

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Technically it exhibits the wear of a PCGS AU50 or 53, but the streaks / striations should be netted to some degree. Whatever you call it, I would suggest that it would sell for about the price of a nice, unstreaked VF35.
  • Options
    To me, it's a net extremely-fine Fugio.
    James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the striations in the planchet and literally prefer Fugios with clash marks. Tells a neat story of how US coins were made in this time period. Favorite coin of all time for me. Yours is quite cool, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I like the striations and think they add character to the piece.

I've always had a fondness for streaky copper.

I'd go 58/61 on it.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is mine for comparison ...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that the slab grade would be AU-58, although my grade would be in the AU-53 to 55 range. I see a little green stuff on the obverse that might concern me.

Here are the two pieces in my collection. This one is a PCGS MS-64, Brown, CAC.

imageimage

NGC graded this club rays variety piece AU-50 although my grade would be EF-40. The strike is uneven on the right side. I bought this one raw years ago and had it graded.

imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm totally certain that I don't have a clue.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish planchet flaws did not interfere with the grade, but they do (in my opinion and experiences with coins) . Otherwise XF 45 + (Net)
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I would guess AU58 but I do not know how the planchet will affect grading
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not good with grading them. i do like the clash thou ( streaks or not )
  • Options
    Its too bad for the black streaks, I think it significantly takes away from the eye appeal but thats just me I guess.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF-40 ...

I think it got docked at least 5 points for the planchet issues.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF 45ish

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file