Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Varieties

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with these varieties. The first one is a 1960-D/D which I was trying to match it up to the varieties that exist but I didn’t see any that are quite like this one. The FS-502 is struck to the left of the D. This coin looks like the D was re-struck very strong north of the primary D. The next coin is a 1961-D Quarter that looks to be a D over Horizontal D but I don't see that variety listed anywhere. The last one is a 1957-D Wheat Penny which looks like a DDO. Strong doubling in Liberty as well as slight doubling in the date and mint mark. My questions are…

1. If these varieties exist which ones are they?

2. If the varieties do not exist how do I go about getting a variety introduced or recognized?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    The cent looks to be shelf doubled. The other two are very interesting and should be sent to Wiles or Wexler IMO.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 1960-D cent is probably RPM #21. Your 1957-D cent is probably RPM #1.

The 1961-D quarter is quite interesting, I haven't seen one like that. I would suggest sending a good pic to James Wiles.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quarter looks like a "D over Horiz D"
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 57-D is definitely RPM#5, also a minor DDO.

The 60-D/D I know I have seen, can't recall RPM# without hitting the books and I'm too lazy to do it at the moment.

The quarter is interesting. Definite strike doubling on mintmark, not sure what else is going on to the west. Sure looks like D/horiz D, but would need a close examination to say with certainty.

• Thank you all for the help. I was just checking PCGS Coinfacts to see if the varieties were listed. I didn't realize there were so many varieties already out there that are not listed on PCGS. I will try sending a couple better pictures to James Wiles. Thanks again.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to visit VarietyVista

http://varietyvista.com/
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also need to visit the Lincoln Cent Forum: http://www.lincolncentforum.com

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting finds.... were these the result of an intensive search of coins or did you purchase

these as errors?? Cheers, RickO
  • They were just a couple coins I set aside while grading and they all came from original bank rolls. Every once in a while certain errors catch my eye so I set them aside. I didn't see these errors on PCGS Coinfacts so I wasn't sure which ones they were. I appreciate all the variety references you guys have provided. I will have to spend more time reading up on varieties as I have bunch of coins that I set aside over the years that I think may be varieties.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1960-D is RPM #21.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file