Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Return of a Yeti

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well and still enjoying the "Dark Side." I see that a lot of the same names are posting over here.

It has been such a long time since I have posted, so long that I see that there is a new message board format.

There has been a lot going on, and my spare time isn't what it once was, so I am focusing only on my copper/bronze minor British halfpennies and farthings at this point. Many of my registry sets have been retired. All of the silver and proof sets are going on the block (I'll post that info where it belongs, on the other forum).

A belated Happy New Year to you all. image

Here is a randomly selected coin I acquired from last year:

imageimage

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By my count, there are 3x more Arsenal fans here than Chelsea fans.

Welcome back.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, welcome back!!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you- hope things are going well-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    By my count, there are two premier league wins by Chelsea over Arsenal this season, 3-0 aggregate.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, but my count it's Arsenal with 44 points and Chelsea with 28.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    There has been a lot going on, and my spare time isn't what it once was, so I am focusing only on my copper/bronze minor British halfpennies and farthings at this point.

Welcome back from me too. Speaking of farthings and besides Arsenal and Chelsea, I've lost count since the last time we've shared some important numismatic and non numismatic news.

Anyway, going back 5 years ago, and in particular on the 28th of February 2011, with Greece in full grexit mode (as if anything has changed for the better since....) , I was in London, waiting for two months for my daughter to be born. She was born that day finally and it was the day that I had predicted, against all doctors' estimates. And this, because it was also the date of birth of my elder brother who has left this angelic world on May 11 of 1988.

I do not believe in coincidences, period.

Now, another thing that happened that day, was that I've won a farthing, a 1946 Geo VI, PCGS MS65RD from the long gone Teletrade. Guess what? I took it as a sign too, or rather as an excuse to build a mini set of farthings image, still readily available in full red or gem RB, still very cheap. So, I've started buying farthngs mostly raw, from 1917 to 1956, ie the total set is exactly 40 coins, with only one black Geo V farthing, the 1917, but in PCGS MS65 as it was later certified by PCGS, who's too clever to add an unnecessary BN next to the numeric grade on these dates.

The majority from the shop of the late C.Cooke, (patience was never among my strong points), but also various other sources with coins bougfht from $4 to $40, mostly raw, some certified already, all in the same range of prices previously mentioned. Within 2-3 monhs I had completed the set, I do not have it in front of me, or any Excel sheet and such, I'm too lazy for these things by now, but if I'm not mistaken the lowest grade is 64RD and the highest 66RD with several 65RBs, 90% red inside.

None of these are like wybrit's Victorian farthings of course, but who knows how much they will be worth in 2029, when the set will be delivered to its currently minor (agewise) owner ? The only slightly more valuable farthing, was one for "daddy",the best one that Neil could find among a small lot remaining from a hoard of some gem 1862 farthings (100 years before my birthyear), that later graded PCGS MS65RD, but it clearly does not deserve the RD designation, it is in fact an 80-85% 65RB. At the contrary, several full reds from Geo V and mosly Geo VI, that were sent raw (despite the fact that certification costs exceeded the cost of the coins, it wasn't a project that would bankrupt me anyway, the Greek government and in particular the idiotic former minister of Economics took care of that), were 105% red and yet they came back 65RB or 64RD when to my ignorant eyes they looked 666RD. Wo cares? It was a quickie and a pleasure to build it. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back. I love that Victorian copper! image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back, wybrit. Good to see you post again!
  • Options
    Hey Syraq (does anyone remember that temporary ID for Syracusian besides me?), great job on the set. That's something I haven't achieved and probably never will. I have a few red G Vs, but mostly I just have the raw examples. Good to hear from you. Thanks to all for your comments.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Wybrit, best of luck with the big auction tomorrow

Those are some extraordinary bits and bobs. image
  • Options
    Hi Mac! image

I was thinking of you today, and it wasn't only about the Cambridge collection (good luck wybrit!).

Hey Syraq (does anyone remember that temporary ID for Syracusian besides me?)

I do! image

Mac (and wybrit), I've just sold a 1862 Victoria farthing PCGS MS65RD, small 8, on ebay, but it had been previously posted at the BST forum, where I didn't forget to mention that the last recorded public sale of this date in this same grade, was in August 10, 2010, @ $517.50, probably an ex-MacCrimmon item. Did my memory serve well or not?

Of course, THAT coin of yours, was SWEET PERFECTION, the Cheshire example, right? Or have I confused dates, owners, resales etc? I still remember my old PCGS MS65RB 90% red , also from you, that I've had it sold at a moment without thinking clearly and the lucky winner got it at a no reserve auction by jkcoins @ ~$150-$160. NOT this time though... , the guy BINed the item, without even trying his chance at a Best Offer that was available. image

The Cheshire example, probably the exact same coin sold by Heritage in 8/10/2010 @ $517.50, an ex-Mc Crimmon example.

You should visit more often, and lurk much less. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow- Terrific coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks for the good wishes. Syracusian, that's a sweet looking 1862. I never picked up anything better than 64RD for that date / variety.

• Options
    Well, it looks as if the pre-live results are already above and beyond their estimates and why not? I'm wishing you all the best. I've even placed a modest bid on the 1950 proof set, because I liked it's holder. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Good work making your way back here, Wybrit.

Keep posting random Farthings. I caught the bug from Syracusian.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN
    Well, it looks as if the pre-live results are already above and beyond their estimates and why not? I'm wishing you all the best. I've even placed a modest bid on the 1950 proof set, because I liked it's holder. image

Indeed! Just popped over to HA, and saw THIS !!!!!

May all your top-grade material pull in the MOON MONEY!

BTW, your Victoria sixpence grouping is truly one for the ages .... I noted 30/61 tanners are either finest graded by PCGS or tied for the honours.

Not just, well done, but EXTREMELY WELL DONE!
  • Options
    Hey Tom, are you going to retire after that, like Doug did? Aren't you guys a little bit young to quit already?

Then again, with such results, this is exactly the time to (divorce and) retire. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I bid on 3 lots, and was blown away on all 3. Congrats on the VERY strong prices. Truly an amazing collection of material.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-