Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shill Bidding

2»

Comments

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    I have two ebay accounts.

One is more of a buying account and the other a selling account.

Not that I sell much, but I like as much secrecy as possible.

I rarely track an item or bid early.

Call it paranoia, but I set a price and leave it for gixen to snipe.

I felt there have been shills, but mostly those trying to wring an extra $10 out of a common raw Morgan.

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2
    Originally posted by: ebaytrader
    Some things about bidding and feepay, er, Ebay policies:

1. Once you've been out bid, you're OUT. Your previous bid is not binding should the higher bidder back out. Should a seller cancel a higher bid, you have no legal obligation to purchase the item. It's the law.
    2. You may cancel your bid until the hammer falls. While feepay doesn't let bidders do this. A seller that refuses to honor a timely request has no legal foundation upon which to force a sale.
    3. A seller has a legal right in a reserved auction with disclosure to bid their items up to the reserved amount. A "reserve" auction does NOT mean a dollar amount, and may include other conditions. In announced "Absolute", or "No Reserve" auction, the auctioneer (usually the seller on feepay) can not knowingly accept a bid from themselves or an agent. Them doing so gives you a specific remedy under the UCC to void the sale, or take the item at the last good faith bid.

Now, a word about feepay's policies: They do not comport with the UCC which governs all types of auctions. Ebay's only recourse for not abiding by their rules is to kick you off of their site. You have no civil legal exposure to feepay or a seller when following the law.

I think your understanding of Ebay policies is wrong.

1. If a higher bidder backs out and you become the high bidder again, you are obligated to purchase.
    2. You may only cancel your bid if there are 12 or more hours remaining in an auction. To cancel with under 12 hours remaining, it's necessary to write the seller and have the seller cancel your bid.

I understand feepay's policies just fine. You don't understand what I wrote.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any hint of shilling should be reported to ebay. Ebay does not act on shill reports without a comprehensive review of the action. Ebay has access to many more records than do you or I including shared account info. Ebay takes shilling very serious as it also puts them in the hot seat should a lawsuit get filed. Ebay does not hold a seller accountable for shilling unless ebay's review of their account action shows they are guilty. First offense is usually a stearn warning and a requirement to complete their on-line "course" on shill bidding before being allowed to continue selling.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see the coin, anyway. The bottom line is : even those who list on ebay for me, see opportunity to capitalize and they cannot bid because they're related to me, by blood. If ebay knew how many of us were related by blood, we would all be guilty of providing for one another, through their website. Call a shill a shill. Who's winning in the race to the bottom of the toilet bowl ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Any hint of shilling should be reported to ebay. Ebay does not act on shill reports without a comprehensive review of the action. Ebay has access to many more records than do you or I including shared account info. Ebay takes shilling very serious as it also puts them in the hot seat should a lawsuit get filed. Ebay does not hold a seller accountable for shilling unless ebay's review of their account action shows they are guilty. First offense is usually a stearn warning and a requirement to complete their on-line "course" on shill bidding before being allowed to continue selling.

But there seems to be no way to report shill bidding to Ebay. They say to report it but there's no place on the website to report it.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2
    Originally posted by: derryb

But there seems to be no way to report shill bidding to Ebay. They say to report it but there's no place on the website to report it.

Click on "report item" link in the listing
    Select "listing practices" is first drop down box
    Select "fraudulent listing activities" in second drop down box
    Select "seller is using other accounts to inflate item price" in third drop down box

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file