Home U.S. Coin Forum

What.....no copper 4 the weekend?

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

how about a m.a.d. abe?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well struck HT-73 CRF......

Nice BROADSTRUCK (WHERE IS HE???) lincoln Lance!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just arrived in the mail yesterday:

peacockcoins

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1845 Hamilton & White, Chicago, Illinois, Miller Ill-12A, 27mm Diameter, Silvered Copper.

This came out of a estate from a collector in NYC who purchased tokens from Bowers & Merena in the late 1980's. This was still in the Bowers & Merana sealed auction flip when I acquired it. Although I was able to locate which auctions all the others sold in I have yet to find this. As per Russell Rulau he only knew of one silvered example which was in the George L. Tilden collection. This is also one of the first tokens where I've seen Rulau not list a value and just call it RARE.

Here's my copper example and full info on Hamilton & White...

The first time the Windy "Stinky Onion" City's name was ever featured on a token -

1845 Hamilton & White, Chicago, Illinois, Miller Ill-12, 27mm Diameter, Copper.

Robert P. Hamilton and M.L. White were dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries, and Produce located at 139 Lake Street in Chicago. Their partnership was formed in 1844 and in business together until 1853. The obverse of this popular pictorial token featured a prairie schooner drawn by two horses as a whip is being cracked. The obverse script stated "Going To 139 Lake Street Chicago Illinois" with "Hamilton & White dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries, Produce 1845" on the reverse. If this wasn't dated 1845 it would fall within the end of the Hard Times tokens era which ended in 1844. Dated 1845 it's one of the earliest U.S. Merchant tokens and the first coin, token, or medal to ever have been stuck with the city name Chicago on it which was incorporated just a few years earlier in 1837 and had a population of just 12,000 at time of issue. The name "Chicago" is the French version of the Miami-Illinois word shikaakwa "Stinky Onion" named for the plants common along the Chicago river and in the language of the Potowatomi Indian tribe means "Wild Onion and Smelly". This token was first listed in Charles Ira Bushnell's 1858 An Arrangement of the Tradesmen's Cards, Political Tokens, Election Medals, etc. Alfred H. Satterlee already considered it extremely rare in 1862. Benjamin Wright called stated "this is the rarest of all early available Illinois tokens" which is the same phrase Russell Rulau adapted for all his publications up to 2004. The actual maker of this token has never been confirmed however in 1845 Lake Street actually had two die sinkers Waller located at 77 and White at 72. These are all about AG-VF condition with only about a dozen of survivors known. Well centered but crudely struck in low relief on thick 27mm Large Cent sized diameter copper planchets which had been pitted prior to striking. All are missing at least 1/3 of the rim and some script script as the hammer die was uneven or misaligned. Many of the survivors show signs of pitting and lamination striations as issued and have also been damaged such as scratched, bent, holed, double holed, cleaned, dipped, and recolored. The example seen here is one of the finest extant and provenance wise was formally in the Julian Liedman collection of which I've included the 1986 B&M/PCAC sale plates which I matched this to after purchase.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff here image
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A recent BST purchase. Looks very nice sitting under my desk lamp.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC
    how about a m.a.d. abe?

nice coin lance. i like that one
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always enjoy this thread...thanks Stef... and thanks Broadstruck for your usual, super interesting

contribution...Cheers, RickO
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RPM # 5

imageimage
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bolivarshagnasty

• sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking 1869 lkeigwin. Guessing it's RB but nicer than most RDs.
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some OLD Copper:

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, shylock. Yes, 65R. Nice and wholesome. From Andy Skrabalak.

I've turned over all my small cent buying to Andy. He has my want lists and has never disappointed. The wait is interminable. But better than buying disappointments.

Lance.

Lance.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice copper throughout.

Originally posted by: cardinal

Some OLD Copper:

Very nice Cardinal. Can you give us some history on the silver centered coins and why this was done? Assume I know nothing about the topic which is correct. Thanks.

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cardinal, that is a awesome, beautiful cent.... Cheers, RickO
    Originally posted by: bolivarshagnasty
    Originally posted by: cardinal
    Some OLD Copper:

Very nice Cardinal. Can you give us some history on the silver centered coins and why this was done? Assume I know nothing about the topic which is correct. Thanks.

The silver centered cents were perhaps the first attempt as a smaller sized cent.

In the earliest days of the U.S. Mint -- as the U.S. was working to obtain acceptance of the newly minted coins in commerce -- all coinage was designed to contain its full value in bullion. So, a one cent piece was required to contain one cent's worth of copper.

The Fugio Cents of 1787 held one cent's worth of copper, and were 29mm in diameter. The 1792 "small" cent is only 24mm in diameter, yet it needed to provide one cent's worth of copper. So, to pack that value into the smaller coin, the design was structured to include 1/4 of a cent of copper, plus 3/4 of a cent of silver. A number of examples were produced for evaluation purposes, but then the design was discontinued -- ultimately in favor of the Chain Cent of 1793.
    Cardinal is my hero! Just Amazing. image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Originally posted by: keyman64
    Cardinal is my hero! Just Amazing. image

Awe...shucksimage

Here's the other copper denomination in that theme...

WOW! image
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation Cardinal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file