Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody know a library with back issues of Coin World on a disk?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
Need to find the 1978 and 1979 volumes on a disk of some kind that I can read on my computer at home. If necessary I can try to find a microfilm or microfiche reader locally. Any suggestions?

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Try contacting the magazines directly.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

Try contacting the magazines directly.

Already did that.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Got microfilms of the dates I need. Thanks.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do share, please.

This is the reason it is absurd to write important, scholarly articles for these newspapers. Because not 10 years later, all traces of them are lost. I would argue that even important articles in Coinage or Coins (if that publication still exists) are likewise lost to time. These are ephemeral publications and are just not saved in any great number.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am late to this... however, I did check my local library, and they do not. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pruebas
    Do share, please.

This is the reason it is absurd to write important, scholarly articles for these newspapers. Because not 10 years later, all traces of them are lost. I would argue that even important articles in Coinage or Coins (if that publication still exists) are likewise lost to time. These are ephemeral publications and are just not saved in any great number.

I sympathize with this view. I have occasionally purchased old issues of such magazines/newspapers just to get one article that I wanted (some of them written by the Captain image). I would be a buyer for DVDs that contain the back issues of a number of numismatic journals and trade magazines.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I'm on the board of my local public library and a year or two ago we partnered with the town Historical Society to digitize the Library's paper versions of our local newspaper. (I forget how many years they digitized.)

As you might expect, this was not an inexpensive project, but with some focused fund-raising campaigns, we got it done.

Perhaps the Newman Numismatic Portal can explore digitizing the back issues of Numismatic Scrapbook, Coin World, Numismatic News, Coinage and Coins. Even though the copyrights are held by for-profit corporations, there might be a way for them to donate some of their copyright to the NNP - after all, it's not like there would be a lot of revenue coming from the few numismatic researchers who would consult the back issues.

It's also possible that this could be a joint project of the ANA Library, the ANS Library and the NNP - perhaps they could raise the money from the numismatic community for such a project.

At least as the technology has improved, the cost of digitization has come down.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Would be great to have COINage and COINS digitized. Think how much just one author like Bob Julian has published over the years that is now virtually inaccesible.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    If the back copies do exist, I wonder how much time and money it would cost to digitize them and then sell the complete lot of back issues on DVD or electronic download. I expect it would just need someone with the time, money and knowhow. I'd certainly buy a DVD if available at a reasonable price (around $50 seems fair as that's about what I paid a few years ago for every issue of National Geographic digitized).
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Dave G.: Perhaps the Newman Numismatic Portal can explore digitizing the back issues of Numismatic Scrapbook, Coin World, Numismatic News, Coinage and Coins. Even though the copyrights are held by for-profit corporations, there might be a way for them to donate some of their copyright to the NNP - after all, it's not like there would be a lot of revenue coming from the few numismatic researchers who would consult the back issues. ...

It's also possible that this could be a joint project of the ANA Library, the ANS Library and the NNP - perhaps they could raise the money from the numismatic community for such a project. ...

At least as the technology has improved, the cost of digitization has come down.

Captain Henway: Would be great to have COINage and COINS digitized. Think how much just one author like Bob Julian has published over the years that is now virtually inaccessible.

These are excellent points, IMO. This is an important thread.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Would be great to have COINage and COINS digitized. Think how much just one author like Bob Julian has published over the years that is now virtually inaccesible.

This was my point.

I'd buy a set of DVDs too, but it seems the world has moved beyond physical media. (For example, new Macs don't even come with media drives anymore.)

I doubt I'd pay for a subscription to Coinage archives (for example) online unless it's a one time fee.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

just so it is stated, although obvious, digitized into a searchable form. pdf?

digitizing with plain images is nice and easy and probably significantly quicker (cheaper?) but digitizing with searchability would be the berries.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Pruebas: I'd buy a set of DVDs too, but it seems the world has moved beyond physical media.

Digital archives can be posted on web sites. Thousands of past articles may be found on CoinWeek.com.

Pruebas: I doubt I'd pay for a subscription to CoinAge archives (for example) online unless it's a one time fee.

I suggest that CoinAge post past articles on their web site and cover the costs via advertising.

Lance: digitizing with plain images is nice and easy and probably significantly quicker (cheaper?) but digitizing with searchability would be the berries.

Yes, of course, "searchability" would be great, but digitizing and posting past works without search options would be much better than not digitizing at all!

PCGS Certfied U.S. 500 Unit Silver Pattern of 1783 (Type 2 Quint)
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digitizing sounds great. How expensive and time consuming is it? For instance,
    12 issues of a magazine with an average 70 pages per issue. How much more
    would the searchability feature add?
  • Options
    Don't forget that Coin World is a weekly, and for many decades was a tabloid-sided newspaper averaging 96 pages. The largest one while I was working there was a 192-page ANA convention issue.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a very large collection of Coin World and was convinced by other collectors (and the wife) to pitch it, as it wasn't worth keeping. I still do have a complete set of Scrapbook. Although as soon as it becomes digital, likely nothing after 1950 would have any value.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Most libraries can loan each other micro film on newspapers.

Being a historian, I've gone that route a few times on different topics of interest.

Whether or not these exist for Coin magazines is another matter.

I guess one could buy a year of magazines, scan them, and recycle it back onto ebay at minimal cost.
  • Options

Bump.

Now I need to scan the 1967-1974 issues to find something.

• Options

Good to know, but there is something in there I need to finish my 1922-D story.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join the ANS & contact the library, they can release individual articles to members. You can use the NNP index to identify what you want.

BTW they are wonderful people. I spent Thanksgiving week 2018 playing in their library.

For the Numismatic Scrapbook, I've found two sites with it in their holdings, the Smithsonian and the Dallas Public Library.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Reviving an old thread...but does anyone have a May 1969 copy of Coins magazine available for sale or could take a few photos of an article I’m looking for. Thank you!

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can help with Coins, please PM me.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus The copyright holders are maintaining rights so we can't present full view.

This somewhat amazes me. For historical needs how much money would the copyright holders be risking for the occasional person researching an issue or issues. Surely their lawyers could word the release of this information so that the user wasn't reprinting and selling the issue's content. Seems so legal just for the legality of it and not for a reason that makes any sense. JMO.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Library of Congress?

• Options
    WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

The full archives of Coin World will be made available to subscribers at a future time. I do not have a target date yet, but it will happen eventually.

William T. Gibbs
    Managing Editor
    Coin World

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that @William

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@William said:
    The full archives of Coin World will be made available to subscribers at a future time. I do not have a target date yet, but it will happen eventually.

William T. Gibbs
    Managing Editor
    Coin World

That would be awesome. Love reading through the old Numismatist issue. Having Coin World be be great.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@William said:

William T. Gibbs
    Managing Editor
    Coin World

I'd expect the Spanish Inquisition before I'd expect this!
    B)

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 1:46PM

I'd love to re-read some of those old "Collectors Clearinghouse" articles among other things. I had one of the old dealers who used to regularly put ads in CW try to rip me off on a 1918-D/7 nickel with a re-engraved horn 40 or 45 years ago.

Anyone remember "Buffalo Bill" Harper?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be put on a cd rom or dvd. I notice that a lot of old magazines and especially comic books are now available on CD or DVD and they get a lot of copies on 1 dvd. They could probably fit all the issues of Coin World on one DVD.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need a CD/DVD, because they are all scanned and present (albeit restricted) at the Newman Portal. I hope this works out the same way the Numismatist does - all issues up to N years old are available to members and everything older is open access.

You can - as an ANS member - request an appropriate number of articles you find in the NNP search through the ANS library.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file