Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this 1928 2.50 gold piece worth getting graded? before sale?

If I am planning on selling this, is the effort and cost associated with the grading process going to be worth it?

I feel like Indian side looks better than the picture shows.

I know I have not figured out the correct way to take good pictures of coins yet.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Not worth getting graded.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just your pics but the date looks weird to me?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sell as is. the coin is damaged by the chin on the obverse. someone should test it for authenticity though. it looks very suspicious to me.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: steveben
    sell as is. the coin is damaged by the chin on the obverse. someone should test it for authenticity though. it looks very suspicious to me.

As is well known, these were commonly counterfeited . Real gold often but still fakes.
    Good luck.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many counterfeits. So until I'm more experienced, I won't buy any raw old-gold coins.

Point is, I think you'll have more potential buyers if you slab it.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I agree - I refuse to buy unslabbed gold (other than AGE's). Although I still can't figure out how to grade the incuse coins. I bought an ANACS 53 $5.00 indian and sent it to PCGS few years ago expecting it to come back in 50 and it came back in 60. I still haven't decided whether to be happy or sad with that. (Common date, there is negligible difference in price).

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on how you plan on selling it.

If you plan on selling it on eBay, having it in a genuine holder would help get a better price perhaps.

If you plan on selling it to a coin shop, they can authenticate it as genuine. As noted, there is damage by the chin so it probably won't fetch much above melt value.

• Options
    Thank you all for your opinions.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the gold Indians... getting that slabbed will profit most from authentication... if genuine...

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would take an MS 65 grade to make it worthwhile.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file