Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Taler Grades and Images from ATS

These were purchased raw prior and at the NYINC. Results and images came in.

1748 FMK. Austria. Salzburg. Andreas Jakob von Dietrichstein (1747-1753) Taler. 43mm. 29.11gr. DAV-1245. Zöttl 2858. Probst-2217. Scarce issue, with a beautiful patina. As nice as they come. NGC MS-62

1741. Austrian States. Olmutz. Jakob Ernst von Liechtenstein (1738-1745) Taler. DAV-1228. Suchomel/Videman 908. The finest for the type. All come with plachet flaw at 11 O'clock. NGC MS-64

1717. Charles VI (1711-1740) Taler. DAV-1035. Lower Austria, Vienna Mint. NGC MS-64.

1868. Emperor of Austria Franz Joseph (1848-1916) Taler. 3rd German Shooting Festival. NGC MS-64

1756 IBH. GERMANY, Braunschweig-Calenberg-Hannover (Kurfürstentum und Herzogtum). Georg II. As King of Great Britain, 1727-1760. AR Taler (41mm, 29.45 g, 6h). Weisser Schawn (White Swan) Mine. Zellerfeld mint. Obv: Crowned coat-of-arms. Rev: Swan swimming left on lake; Wiesser Schawn (White Swan) mine in background. Smith 131; Welter 2568; Davenport 2097; KM 291. NGC MS-62

GERMANY, Passau (Bistum). Sede Vacante. 1762. AR Medal (44.5mm, 25.67 g, 12h). By J. C. Busch and J. L. Oexlein. Dated 1761 in Roman numerals. (rosette) MONETA CAPITULI REGNANTIS EXEMPTÆ ECCLESIÆ CATHEDRALIS PASSAVIENSIS, St. Stephan seated facing on ornate sella, wearing episcopal regalia; below, coat-of-arms in ornate frame; MDCCLXI in exergue / City view of Passau, seen in aerial perspective, with the rivers INN FLUS (Inn River), DONAU (Danube), and ILZ (Ilz) marked; PATAVIA below exergual line; fifteen crowned coats-of-arms around, star between upper two shields . Kellner 171; Zepernick 247. Lovely toning. NGC MS-62

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Love that shooting festival piece.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Great historic beautiful coins. Congratulations!
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    All beauties! The Sede Vacante medal is very interesting.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful coins, as always Z.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did NGC do the imaging? I've never used anything but their cheaper option, which was a complete waste of money. If these are NGC images, they aren't so bad at all, and... yay! No prongs! What imaging service tier did you use and how much did it cost, if I may ask?

Lovely coins, as usual. I like the colors on the second piece, the tree design on the fourth, and the swan on the fifth. They're all awesome.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific coins- good results

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG on the grades and those images are really great image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All great coins (and medal) Zohar! image

Just a couple quick observations:

1) The 1741 isn't a planchet flaw if it occurs on all examples at the same location at 11-o'clock. It would have to be a die problem (a die crack, or die chip of some sort). Regardless, the color in the recessed/protected areas of this one is just fantastic. I especially like the color in the hair curls and in the crest on the reverse.

2) That 1868 is superb! I absolutely love the imagery of the tree and the robed figure! Never seen that one before, and as always, you have found a great example.

3) The Weisser Schwan piece looks WAY better in these images than the ones you posted earlier. It's sharp, and the detail is super!

4) The sede vacante is a great medal. I love the amount of detail in the city scene on the reverse. They do some absolutely amazing die engraving on these.

Congrats again!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

brg5658 - I will relay the general positive feedback to Doug ATS. I really like these as well and they seem better than prior run. I learned something new in your comment #1. The one coin that is exceptional and doesn't show as such is the 1717 piece. EVP and I both drooled on it at Kunker's bourse table.

The original swan image was CNG's

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great additions as always, Zohar!

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2) That 1868 is superb! I absolutely love the imagery of the tree and the robed figure! Never seen that one before, and as always, you have found a great example.

3) The Weisser Schwan piece looks WAY better in these images than the ones you posted earlier. It's sharp, and the detail is super!

totally agreed!

These are all fantastic Z!

Like you mentioned the 1748 is tough in better grades so 62 net is what I see too based on the obverse - however the reverse had it been graded solely is a lock 64 and fantastic.

And obviously it seems you are not taking my advice to read a book or start knitting..which is a good thing as I love reading your posts!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z - CNG use greyscale imaging. Not sure why. I've complained to them about it in the past. If I were to venture a guess, the original reason for this is because it makes for a smaller file size. But with disk space so cheap nowadays, that reason (if it's true) is no longer valid.

I also use Doug to image some of my coins. I ask him for the jpeg files as well as the prettied up PDF files.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    I agree regarding CNG. I use their descriptions and proven conservative grading to determine quality, images are far from being true view.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is this Doug? He does the imaging for NGC?
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    Yes he is their in house photographer.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins, Zohar! Love the color.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug Plascencia used to work for B&M/ANR doing images. He lost his job when they merged with Stacks, and Dave Lange offered him a job with NGC. Doug's a good guy. Dave too. I was very pleased with the turnaround. NGC really needed a good coin photog, and Doug was available.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com