In this months issue (Feb. 2016) of COINage there is a very interesting article
about Love Tokens. Board member CaptHenway is the author. Another board
member Lord Marcovan even has two of his treasures pictured. I enjoyed the
write up and hope you as well.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are also several pieces from astrorat
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to Tom DeLorey/CaptHenway for a fine article, and I'm grateful to have had two of my pieces included. I take it some of the 20c piece love tokens were Astrorat's?

The piece which really blew my mind was that off-center Morgan dollar error which had the love token engraving on that little crescent of the unstruck portion of the flan. Truly an amazing love token.

Here are my two that were in the article. The "Jennie" Seated dime is interesting in that it is a near-identical twin to another piece owned by someone else, with the exact same design and name, except the two have different engraving styles and were probably done by different artists. Mine is the cruder of the two. (You can see both in the thread about mine, linked to below.) Until the two were posted here on the forums in the lead-up to the DeLorey article, nobody would have known there were two of them.

"Spiny Lighthouse Seascape"

Pictorial love token on 1864 two-cent piece

"Jennie by the Seaside"

Pictorial love token on 1890 Seated Liberty dime

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Kudos to Tom DeLorey/CaptHenway for a fine article, and I'm grateful to have had two of my pieces included. I take it some of the 20c piece love tokens were Astrorat's?

You are correct. I have not seen the article yet and I look forward to reading what I am sure is another excellent contribution to COINage by Tom.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great.... look forward to reading the article...Love tokens are always interesting..

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, authors.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Richard Burdick has a phenomenal collection of love tokens. Parts of it are often exhibited at major conventions. Videos can be found on YouTube.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Analyst

Richard Burdick has a phenomenal collection of love tokens. Parts of it are often exhibited at major conventions. Videos can be found on YouTube.

While I was still working we bought in the most obscene engraved Buffalo nickel the world has ever seen. It ended up in Mr. Burdick's collection.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Is COINage free?

Do they have a website?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    Originally posted by: CoinZip

Is COINage free?

Do they have a website?

We authors like to get paid, so no, it is not free. I know that Books-A-Million carries it in their periodicals section. Don't know about Barnes & Noble.

No website.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file