Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best place to sell un-loved coins and sets

HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
Hello all-

I have been mostly currency for the past 4-5 years but still lurk here.

I need to clear out some items by order of the better half, and was looking for opinions on best venue for these less popular items.

I have looked at e-bay prices, but haven't sold in a long time, so not sure of current fees on $40-$150 items.

Ebay, Heritage, BST, COIN Show, B&M (most seem only to buy to sell on ebay)

I have even consigned to board members before (Pretty happy with results)

I have:

Raw proof sets 52-67 (SMS) box, cello and a few plastic case.

ASE proofs in OGP 1996-2005

20th anniversary 3 coin ASE Proof set. (OGP)

Some OGP commems,

Modern Silver proof commems in PCGS PR-69 and PR-70.

PCGS Franklin MS and PR registry sets.

PR-69 Ike set

Various Danscos filled with MS/PR gov issues (not all complete)

Packaging from above break outs

PCGS coins that were upgraded from in Franks, Commems

Bicentennial medals ( A whole box)

I know there are no fees on BST, but by setting a price, i would miss out on any potential bidding wars.

Any suggestions for best net return would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the at the CU Forum does auctions, but you could throw them over to the left in the Buy, Sell, & Trade with a set price with offers accepted. List 'em separately or as a lot. ...and no fees here either!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take good photos! Post on BST first. Blow them out on eBay second by starting them at .99 auctions that end in 7 days on a Saturday or Sunday evening. Good luck.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Thanks,

I guess if e-bay, I need to make sure they don't end during the Superbowl.

I am on EST I am thinking 10PM (7 PST) is a good target?

BST seems to have tremendous turnover, Currency has 10 days worth on the first page image

Page 2 goes back to 1/4!

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dosent look like you have anything that would start a bidding war. So I don't think you have to worry about that. Most of the items you have sell for a set price most of the time. BST would be best if you don't have a lot of extra time and sell it as one lot but if you extra time on your hands then I would go the EBAY route.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we call "dibs" here ? image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly doubt you would generate any bidding war on "these less popular items". You know about the BST, auctions, consignment and other venues and have used them in the past. Do your homework.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to try Craigslist (local sales only) for some lower-priced coins.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I would avoid Craigslist on coins for security reasons.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use BST here I'd be interested in that '52 proof set.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

I highly doubt you would generate any bidding war on "these less popular items". You know about the BST, auctions, consignment and other venues and have used them in the past. Do your homework.

Maybe he could start a thread right here on the US coin forum. List everything for sale and just check the PM box? Just an idea is all.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Since you have mostly modern coins those are pretty common. A lot of post 1996 mint products have increased in price.

I've never used the BST but I guess you could try there first since it doesn't cost anything.

Listing on eBay will cost you 9% in final value fees, plus 3% for PayPal.
    If you go that route use either a fixed price listing with the price you want, or for an auction open it at the minimum you'll accept. The nice people on eBay just want to rip you for your coins

For the raw commens you could try Great Collections . They can submit to PCGS and if you can get 70's that will bring more money than OGP.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Tom. bidding wars are for things that are "special" and are a notch above the regular.

The majority of the items you listed are just stuff that gets traded at a % of greysheet etc.

If you have the time, list on the bst with your asking price.

You can always come down if it doesnt sell.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Heck I just got an offer via PM!!image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: stman

I should have called "dibs" , sooner. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Originally posted by: stman

I should have called "dibs" , sooner. image

No, someone thought I was the seller.

• Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I am all of a sudden having Browser issues, but I will reply with list to the PMs.

I really wasn't soliciting offers here just recommendations.

I would like to have everything wrapped up by may, so no huge rush.

Anyone ever hear about 55 flat pack proof missing seal?

It was sold to me as a rarity, I also have a 55 box that has been unwrapped way too many times, and I don't believe the tissue is original.

just not sure how to price these as most sheets and guides are way off in my experience.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to check the coins for errors/varieties as well as any evidence of toning.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lunytune2

I would avoid Craigslist on coins for security reasons.

The lobby of our local police station allows CL transactions. Very safe.

Same for my local bank. Then I can immediately deposit the cash.

But I understand your point.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the BST.... have used it often.... I would recommend that as your first endeavor

if you do not sell them all via PM first... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Some of the items you mention rarely go onto the BST forum. I make offers on most Dansco's and some early proof sets if I have funds handy. I love having toned items in my albums.

David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file