Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In the variety and/or the error coins...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi guy's, Out of all the famous hard to hunt down varieties/errors, which one do you think is the most difficult to snatch up? Let's take a poll. Thanks in advance.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has only been one 1959-D "Wheat" Cent that I am aware of.

note: "D" added for specificity (thanks to lkeigwin)
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    My toughest search was in 1973-1988. Out of 715,520 quarters I found 3 1971-D type B like Type H quarters and only 2 of 1972-D.

These match the higher relief proof quarters of 1969-S thru 1972-S. Does anybody else have any?
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    There is a 1974 Aluminum cent? Or is it 1984?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is the '59 wheat cent.... though the '43 copper cent would be right up there with it.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not clear why some of these even made the list. e.g. the 09-S VDB. Is not difficult to find.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    True. I just threw it in to add some more to the list.image

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you mean the 1959-D wheatie, not 1959. Its authenticity has been questioned by the major TPG's (in spite of what the Mint has said).

Lance.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, that 59-D Wheat Cent is not genuine.

When you say 'in spite of what the Mint has said",

I think you're referring to the fact that the coin

was turned into the BEP for some reason (not the Mint)

and someone at the BEP who knows his Currency,

said the 59-D Cent was real......it's not, but the letter

from the BEP used to be presented to show that it was

authentic...

They'd probably say the same thing about the 1933 $20

reproductions.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1909-s vdb, 1914-d, 1955-DD and 1922 are relatively common compared

to the rest of the list. I agree with Mr.Weinberg on his opinion of the

1959-D Wheatie. The Wide and Close AM cents are far to difficult to see

for me. The rest of the list is a matter of legalities (1974 Alum. Cent ) or

money (1943 copper and 1969-DD cents).
  • Options
    Has anyone found a 1909sVDB, '55 DD, 14d or an 1922 no D recently while roll searching? Just curious? I certainly haven't. I've been going through many, many rolls. So far, nada! and I'm talking years now.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would think the 1969 dd cent would be it. i guess its how you wanna look at it. just saying

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file