Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Low Ball PCGS Sets

How popular would you guess collecting Low Ball PCGS coins is? I see many Ebay auctions of people selling PCGS coins for Low Ball sets. I also see that PCGS has Low Ball sets defined in their registry sets.

I ask because I have an 1803 Large Cent that is problem free except it's so well worn that barely the date is visible with a barely visible design on the obverse and reverse. It seems to be an automatic for a PCGS PO1. I probably bought the coin for a couple of dollars in the late 1990s and am wondering if there's much market for such a coin in a PCGS PO1 holder to make it worth including in my 8 free submissions.

Thanks.

I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    PO-01 coins aren't as easy to make as you'd think.
    If you made one, somebody would buy it though.
    This is an example of a PCGS PO-01

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certified Poor-01 Morgans are extremely popular.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I just got out my 1803 Large Cent. Now I think it has a chance at FR2 which would kill the value.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    PO-01 coins aren't as easy to make as you'd think.
    If you made one, somebody would buy it though.
    This is an example of a PCGS PO-01

wow, that is most beautiful and awesome.

no doubt it is worth many hundreds of dollars!

• Options
    What is the date on that coin?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DennisH

that's an 1818 quarter. Totally original
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never did understand the attraction to these pieces... but they definitely have a following...

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Barndog

I've successfully submitted several Poor-01 Morgans, and that coin is a Poor-01 all day long in my book.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin. Smooth, damage free!
    Lots of these ultra low grade coins- even in PCGS plastic are downright disgustingly ugly.

Yours is a charming example of honest wear, yet with distinguishable features.

peacockcoins

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barndog

Is that luster in the "ERT" and behind her cap? image

I always keep an eye out for problem free PO1ish coins.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made this one earlier this year.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate coins in any condition but there are collectors who intentionally accelerate wear by artificial means just for the sake of surrounding them in P01 plastic. That's not collecting, that's a game.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first got into lowball commems on these boards the go to people were Braddick and MadMarty. Trying to get a PO01 grade can be as tough as getting a MS70.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
    Never make a pretty woman your wife
    So for my personal point of view
    Get an ugly girl to marry you
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    There is a fine line between an FR02 and a no grade for too much wear. Also, there is a lot that can go wrong on the way down- for example, rim dings, scratches, etc.) that will keep a coin from grading. PO01s are much tougher than many people think. The largest collector following is for Morgans and Peace dollars.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of PO01s. They tend to have a wonderful look to them. Some of the gold lowball sets are gorgeous to look at.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low ball coins go against all the reasons I collect coins. I might as well throw my money into my fireplace. At least I'd be warm for a little while.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ms70
    I appreciate coins in any condition but there are collectors who intentionally accelerate wear by artificial means just for the sake of surrounding them in P01 plastic. That's not collecting, that's a game.

Wasn't there a collector, years ago on these forums who offered a bounty of several hundred dollars for anyone who could get a FA02 or lower 1970-D Kennedy half into PCGS problem free plastic? He didn't even care if the "wear" was artificial.
    When weeks passed and no one was forthcoming with such a creation he extended the offer to a low grade Ike dollar.

I do believe there was a single collector who stepped up and 'won' the bet- getting a worn out Ike into PCGS plastic.

The conclusion could be made- if hundreds of dollars was offered for such an easily created worn coin yet hardly anyone was able to produce one- they perhaps were not as easy to rock tumble as the average collector would believe.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how low ball coins are normally taken out of circulation? Do banks take them out?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit too much wear on this S-mint, sadly. Unless it has some notable attribute. I don't follow Morgans.

Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pocketpiececommems
    When I first got into lowball commems on these boards the go to people were Braddick and MadMarty. Trying to get a PO01 grade can be as tough as getting a MS70.

Although that was before pocketpiece became the undisputed champion, at least in the commemorative realm!

I personally like lower grade commemoratives, especially the issues from the 1930s, because they are so unexpected.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Never did understand the attraction to these pieces... but they definitely have a following...
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Higashiyama was a collector that I chased for some time on the Registry before they had the Lowball section. How many commems did I lose to "Faraway57". Umakem was another early circ commem collector with great taste for finding the good ones.(He also had a complete set of Barbers in VF-XF) It took me 10 years to complete a circ commem set. Chesapeake has now completed this set too and also has it in MS. Worn Out needs two to finish and I have no doubt that he will find these last two.

When you look at the Lowball registry there are some really great looking coins out there that have really served their time and now someone has saved them from the melting pot. Morgans and Barbers have some really nice cameo looks to them as they wear down.
  • Options
    ^
    A good example is I'd rather have a worn- FN12 or so Hawaiin rather than one in MS60, even with the value so much greater for the higher grade, of course.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one I made. I threw it in just for fun to complete a voucher submission. Every time I see an eBay seller bragging that a half cent has "full Liberty", I think of the coin and smile.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProfLiz, I like that coin!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an IHC that would qualify...have had it since I was about 13 years old.... Cheers. RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file