Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The proposal to shut down Niagara Falls may reveal a treasure chest in coins

The last time Niagara Falls was shut down they found two bodies and millions of coins.

A new proposal to divert it to replace some bridges might reveal millions more coins!

Perhaps PCGS will provide a special Niagara Falls insert?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two unfortunate souls who (possibly) went over the falls were recovered in 1969...how many this time?

Millions of coins? Are they accepting volunteers to accumulate this next batch of coinage from the falls? Of course the accumulation of 1969 would have yielded better (older) dates.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the turned off Falls in 1969. They are only going to divert the water from the American Falls to the Canadian Falls and it probably won't be for a few years yet. They removed the coins quickly in 1969 because they didn't want anyone going down there to scope them up. This wouldn't have been the wisest move for someone to do so.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Slowly I turned......."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Slowly I turned......."
    ROFL... brings back memories Capt., Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few of those coins could very well be mine.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might find enough coins to help pay for the bridge repair

Back in 1979, I threw a few pennies and nickels over.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never liked dipped coins, but there's likely a fortune there.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One time I was at the Falls, I only live 20 minutes away, and I saw an older gentleman climb over the fence right above the Canadian Falls, to pick up a dime. I hope it was a silver dime at least to risk one's life to pick it up.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there in '69 also.....I was able to find some old nails and glass pieces, but I think they had already scarffed up the coins.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder what a metal detector would find down there in all that sediment. Wonder if they used any metal detectors down there in 1969?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess there really is a fortune at the end of the rainbow.

...but it does put "rainbow toning" in a whole new light.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Perhaps PCGS will provide a special Niagara Falls insert?

I wouldn't be surprised, and think it would be a good idea, because it would help to keep their prices down on actual numismatic services.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file