Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photo Guide to the 1878 & 1879 Morgan Dollar Reverse Varieties

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
There are too many common varieties of 1878 and 1879 Morgan Dollars, and it's impossible for me to think about them clearly with so many 7s and 8s floating around. The information is available online, but there aren't a ton of guides showing clear photos or everything in one spot. Sick of having to look these up (and with a pile of Morgans in front of me), I put a few of the PCGS CoinFacts images together and noted the various date/variety combos that are tied to each one. With Phil Arnold's blessing, I'm sharing it here and hope you find it useful, too.

Full Size Image (super hi-res... too big to post here)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool...Thanks man and Nice Work!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, Jeremy!
  • Options
    Always have an eye out for a good grade 1879s (PAF/flat breast)They truly have no number minted because these were included in the total minted in 1879 in Sanfrancisco.Most won't even grade.
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done.

But to be honest, this is basic knowledge that anyone who handles Morgans should know on sight. Same thing applies to the 1880-CC Reverse of '78 variety.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DennisH

Nicely done.

But to be honest, this is basic knowledge that anyone who handles Morgans should know on sight. Same thing applies to the 1880-CC Reverse of '78 variety.

That's true, but many of us don't handle lots of Morgans regularly (or in my case, the ones I do handle more regularly are usually 1880 and later and/or slabbed). This isn't that difficult to learn, but if you don't look at it often, it's not the kind of stuff that will be remembered.

Think of it like the Federal Aviation Regulations. At some point (when I was being tested on them) I knew everything I had to know. Some rarely apply and I know where to look them up, so I don't have them available off the top of my head. As with any kind of information, you remember what you use.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Your completion just increased ten fold image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent tool....thanks Jeremy.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks good. you may want to put 1st, 2nd, 3rd rev as this is how they are listed in most publications. if not no worries, i already know the differences. image

also, since you mention 1879 reverses, you may want to put 1878 only or something above the 7/8 text at the bottom.

i'd like to see more of these types of things.

a good one would be the 1938-39-40 jeffies reverses and which tpg requirements for each.

another would be fs, fb, fh comp. images.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

cant believe i fertgot to mention denoting the long vs short nock.

i may just d/l this image and do all the updating for my own copy.

i may be suggesting a lot.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy - nice 22000 post!
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    This will be very helpful. Thanks...
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to have had this 10 years ago. lol

Thanks Jeremy for your effort. This will be a great

tool.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC
    cant believe i fertgot to mention denoting the long vs short nock.

i may be suggesting a lot.

If you do make updates, can you please share with the rest of us? image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ShadyDave

i may be suggesting a lot..

If you do make updates, can you please share with the rest of us? image

ill consider it but he took the time to do this and id rather not "compete" but collaborate. ill wait a while to see if it gets any updates. i know he doesnt post a lot and is vewwwy busy.

it really is a good idea to have many image comps like these and i want to encourage, not discourage.

once you get familiar with them and if they are very thorough, makes it easier on the brain, especially if one is very diversified.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Excellent tool....thanks Jeremy.... Cheers, RickO

+1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file