Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newman like toning on Grandparents coin

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
What started me off as a coin collector as a kid was my grandparents collection. I remember they had a bag full of shiny morgan dollars, there were a least 100 and looking back I think most were uncirculated and all were blast white. We moved away from the same town they lived in, but seeing that bag of morgans had inspired me to collect which I did, then college came and you know the story.

A couple years back I asked my parents whatever happened to my grandparents collection? They said they sold most of it off, but my parents had a few remnants. In the box of remnants was a hodge podge of stuff, most in littleton envelopes. About a dozen morgans, half uncirculated half with wear. My parents let me take what I wanted, I took the morgans.

This past year when PCGS had a silver grading special I decided to send in what I thought was one that would grade, but with heavy toning. I thought it likely was envelope toning, about a 1/2 century worth, because the bag they had of morgans were all blast white. Here it is below, an 1881-S. Surely I think it is envelope toned, compare it to my Newman coins that follow that were all ones that were from the Col. Green collection that sat in envelopes for many decades. What do you think?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice coin, never sell those coin, you will regret it if you ever do sell them.

Thank you for posting them and the story that goes along with them!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Morgan....although I am not a fan of tarnish... that is a special coin with family

history... I have some and would never part with them. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story, and nice looking '81-S! I agree with you, IMO it is indeed envelope toning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file