Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Next Week's Surgery - OT (UPDATED - SUCCESS !!)

Thanks everyone for the great birthday wishes today via PM. The next week is going to be a tough one so I'm glad the birthday came before it. As most of you know, I have a few upcoming surgeries and the first one is next week.

Having been diagnosed with Afib 2 months ago, the surgery for the Afib is next week and is what is standing in my way of the major back surgery since the damn doctors put me on blood thinners because of it and is by far one of the worst drugs you could ever be on since you bruise on everything and bleed like a pig if cut. It took over 4 hours to stop the bleeding on a simple paper cut !!

Monday is the test where the stick some sort of scope down your throat into your lungs and then into your heart to pinpoint exactly where the Afib is and what chamber.

Tuesday is the surgery. Starts at 6:00am and is supposed to last up to 4 hours. Once done, I can come off all the medications they have me on which consists of 9 pills a day.

It's all got me a little scared as I hate surgery and this one for whatever reason just has me worried as it's not the typical surgery that I have had in the past.

I do appreciate all the happy wishes though as it kind of helps in this time of need for me !!!

Of course I will not be around for a little bit so just expect that I will return when I can. I posted this same message on Facebook for those that sent me messages there.

Thanks,

JD

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
President/CEO
The Rocks Collectables, LLC
TRC, LLC
jderocker003@gmail.com
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
EBAY - TRC, LLC

Comments

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Rock, wishing you a 68EPQ recovery!
  • Options
    Rock, I'll ask the Great Physician intervene on your behalf, to infuse wisdom and skill into the minds and hands of the surgeons and others who will attend. And to you I will ask that a calming spirit be in your mind and heart as these procedures are completed.

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck John.

I will look for you on FB, and I will pray for you.
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Concentrate on the after....it makes the now easier.I look forward to hearing how well everything went.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Well image John!

All the best to you in a very successful surgery and quick recovery.

It will be nice to have you back posting once again.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes for a great outcome, Rock!
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Prayers Brother !!!

Looking for Atlanta $1-$20 Series 1928-present + Stars , Raw or Graded !! &
    FR-1509 ,FR-1509*,FR-1510,FR-1510*,FR-1511*,FR-1512*,FR-1514*
    in PCGS 66 or 67PPQ**

EBAY ITEMS
    Check out - BrettEldredge.com !! Hometown Singer

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope everything goes well John.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Praying for a speedy recovery!!!
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Good luck and hope all goes well.
  • Options
    I will be praying for you Rock.

Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers are always free)
  • Options
    I will also be thinking and praying for you John!
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    May God give you and your boy's peace and your doctors wisdom. Your thoughts and passion for currency will be missed while you're gone but please take the time to allow your body to properly heal. We're not going anywhere. And it wouldn't hurt you to let some of us win some notes.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Prayers
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    John you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers!

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    A little anxiety before surgery is normal. Just try to focus on the positives like how great it will be not to have to take 9 pills every day. Also you have family, friends, and an entire collecting community in your corner!

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    I'm keeping you in my thoughts.
  • Options
    Rock:

My thoughts are with you.

I too, am facing similar predicament as yours. Next week I have an appointment to see a Radiologist so he can determine if he will go ahead with the procedure to treat a malignant tumor in my liver by poisoning it. I am already on the University of California transplant list just in case I may need a transplant in the future.

Anyway, best of luck to you and am looking forward to seeing your post in the forum soon.
  • Options
    Best wishes to you. Just take it all one step at a time and before long you will have the whole ordeal behind you. Good luck!
    Collector: of low or fancy serial numbers in the 1928 - 1963 era including radars and repeaters, better stars, mules, special serial number ranges, also pre WWII Philippine star notes and low serials as well as low and fancy serials on MPC

Data collection: serial number data of scarce notes in the 1928 to 1963 era - radars, repeaters, scarce stars, mules, and other scarce or rare notes in all types or series & large size 8 digit radars or repeaters
    My email is: HHICL@aol.com
  • Options
    Hi,
    I need your full first name and the full first name of your mother. You can send it via PM.
    Thanks
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    Best of luck to you John and RenoTommy... being sick and dealing with doctors and hospitals is no fun.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Reno, I feel you pain buddy. This is the 1st of 3 surgeries coming up for me.

Assuming this all goes well, the next one is the BIGGIE as it's the back surgery on my T-11/T-12. 6 hours of surgery, 5-7 days in the hospital for recovery and them who knows how long the recovery will be at home. It's pretty evasive so no short cuts on that one.

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    Originally posted by: TheRock

Reno, I feel you pain buddy. This is the 1st of 3 surgeries coming up for me.

Assuming this all goes well, the next one is the BIGGIE as it's the back surgery on my T-11/T-12. 6 hours of surgery, 5-7 days in the hospital for recovery and them who knows how long the recovery will be at home. It's pretty evasive so no short cuts on that one.

Darn, Rock, you are heading into some major procedures, a TEE and heart surgery, then the T11/T12 procedure which is quite invasive. Moved you to the TOP of our prayers list for sure.

One day at a time and keep the faith always.

Retired

• Options
    Originally posted by: RenoTommy

Rock:

My thoughts are with you.

I too, am facing similar predicament as yours. Next week I have an appointment to see a Radiologist so he can determine if he will go ahead with the procedure to treat a malignant tumor in my liver by poisoning it. I am already on the University of California transplant list just in case I may need a transplant in the future.

Anyway, best of luck to you and am looking forward to seeing your post in the forum soon.

Reno, moving you to number 2 on the prayers list right behind the Rock.

Retired

• Options
    Hi, I need your full first name and the full first name of your mother. You can send it via PM. Thanks

Alex, I was not going to respond to this as it seemed to be a little personal but I received an email explaining why you were asking.

I'll take all the prayers you can give regardless of what religion.

Her name was "Diamond DeRocker". She passed away in my arms a few years ago after battling MS for 10-15 years which then turned into terminal cancer.

Thanks for your upcoming prayers !!!

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options

Reno, moving you to number 2 on the prayers list right behind the Rock.

+1

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Hope Rock and Reno have a speedy recovery.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    I apologize for not explaining it in the first place. When Jews pray for somebodies health, they use his first name and the name of his mother. I asked a raby in Israel to pray for me before my cancer surgery few years ago, and as you see I'm here...
    I will do it for you as well.

Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    Thank you folks for your kind thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers for both you guys surgery this week.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Rock: Good luck to you, and I think you'll deserve to splurge on a Monster Note following your successful surgery.
    "Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Rock, best of luck to you and Reno. I hope both of you have a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    I apologize for not explaining it in the first place. When Jews pray for somebodies health, they use his first name and the name of his mother. I asked a raby in Israel to pray for me before my cancer surgery few years ago, and as you see I'm here... I will do it for you as well.

Thanks very much Alex and everyone else !!!

Today is DAY-1 so I hope things go smooth and set a nice quiet tone for tomorrow.

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options

You have a lot of support behind you! We will be here when you get back!

PS: Reno, you and your family will also be in my thoughts and prayers!

• Options
    Best wishes for successful procedures!
    * R. Shawn Hewitt
    * Enthusiast of Minnesota Notes
    * Researching non-star and pre-star replacement notes in the 1903-1920 era
    * Minnesota Paper Money
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Continuing to think of you John! Tommy, will also keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Godspeed with your medical issues my friends!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heart surgery is well known and I know you will come out just fine.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    John, I have never seen so many people write on a topic like this. It shows how much everyone cares about you. Now, the best thing you can do is get well soon and get back to us.
  • Options
    First of all, I thank all of you for your prayers.

The entire surgery process from beginning to end went very well. I would not want to do it again but I know I have one more big one coming in the next 30-60 days for the back surgery which puts this one as child's play compared to it but I'm just glad this one is done as it was required to have done for the next one. Prior to this surgery my blood pressure was normal at 110/75 and has been forever. However, my heart rate was 165-170 and has run in that range for almost 30 years. The problem was I felt fine with no side affects of such a fast heart rate and the beat was always normal until recently when it started to have a none normal rhythm, ie. "AFIB".

After the surgery, my heart rate is now in the normal range of 95-100. I don't feel any different as I wish I did but I will not complain about having my heart back to normal as leaving it where it was could surely lead to more severe problems as you can imagine.

DAY-1 went fine which was the scope down the throat to snap the pictures of which of the 4 heart chambers had the AFIB. It was not one of my favorite moments as I had to kind of bare the whole process not drugged up at all. When they gave me the sedation medication via IV, it did not knock me out like it did back in November when I was rushed into the hospital and ended up with the paddles stopping and restarting my heart. I ask what was going on. The replay I got was "John, we have gave you 5x the medication you had in November and don't know why your not asleep". Now I knew it was going to be a tough day. After gagging for 10-15 minutes it was done but I will tell you that when they shove a CIGAR looking camera done your throat, it is "NOT" a pleasant feeling !!

DAY-2 was the surgery and that went very well. Arrived at 6:00am and did the normal get change of clothes and paperwork routine. Around 8:00am the surgeon came in and asked if I was ready and I said yes but I had concerns about the sedation as the day before did not go so well. He told me that he would have the anesthesiologist people come talk to me.

About 10 minutes later, they came in. I explained what happened back in November and what happened the previous day. They said that what happened the day before was not normal and I should have been out cold. They started to dig through the whole visit in November and found out that I was given the FULL BLOWN "General" like I should have. I was not given that the day before and I should have and I was also not scheduled for whatever reason not to have it again that day. I told them there was no way in hell was going to go through 3 hours of pain that day. Thank GOD for asking as the order was changed and I was given the same "General" for that day. Counted back from 10 and never got to 9 that I remember.

I advise anyone having surgery to "ASK" a lot of questions and we humans miss things and it could make your procedure go much smoother as it did for me.

All in all, it went very well and again I thank all of you for the love and support. Fingers crossed that the next one will go the same way !! image

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    CONGRATS ROCK
  • Options
    Woo hoo, that is awesome news!!!!
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    What!?!?! No pics?
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Great to hear! So happy for you and I am believing that next one will go smoother and be 100% successful!

• Options
    I'm so glad to hear this!

And I wish you all the best for the next step!image

• Options

Okay, one day at a time my friend, one day at a time. Happy, happy news!image

Retired

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    Great news!!
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear, glad it went well, and thanks for the update John.
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're doing well and ready to take on the next challenge.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.