Home Precious Metals
Options

eBay sticks it to the seller again shipping pm's

Really shipping anything. They are now giving their shipping discount for using click & ship based on how much the first class package weighs, when it use to be a flat rate discount no matter what it weighed up to 13 oz's.

The more it weighs the higher the discount is, but for sellers who typically ship a 1 oz silver bar in a package that ends up weighing 4 oz's total, there is no discount until the total weight of the package reaches at least 5 oz's.

This may seem trivial, but it is if you're a seller that mostly ships packages weighing less than 5 total oz's (including the weight of the envelope & packaging), that's going to force an approach of the seller. I pass that discount along to the buyer...that discount I get is what I will figure to charge for the shipping I charge to the buyer.

Now, those extra .54 at a minimum per package adds up in this day and age of buyers expecting free shipping. You'd be surprised how those few extra cents that turn into dollars make a difference in the mindset of the buyer.

Personally I don't subscribe to the free shipping approach that eBay has buyers brainwashed with, so now I (and someone like me who is a small time seller) have two choices.

List everything as a BIN with free shipping but factor in the shipping cost to the ask price, or start listing of a $20 item with a starting bid of $23 now with free shipping.

eBay knows they can't raise the FVF any more, so they've gotten creative with things like charging $1 for an auction if it isn't a minimum of 5 day auction, now this, what's next?

Like I said it may not be a big deal to some, but for a volume seller that sells a lot of items that ends up being in low weight packages, they're going to have to change how they offer items.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    put a couple of rocks in the package and get a bigger discount or leave the rocks out and pay less postage.

Your anger at shipping inflation should probably be directed at the actual shipper.

Your best bet is to learn to accept the things you can't change.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

put a couple of rocks in the package and get a bigger discount or leave the rocks out and pay less postage.

Your anger at shipping inflation should probably be directed at the actual shipper.

Your best bet is to learn to accept the things you can't change.

Who's angry? LOL It's fact of something that has happened, and after all this time, you continue to troll when it's clear this was a simple informative post by me. Nor did I ask for your advice or opinion.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are a top rated seller then you should be shipping free so you get the discount on shipping FVF . Anyway , you get a bump in best match for free shipping I think so that would get more eyeballs on you stuff .

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea that eBay purchased either Pitney Bowes or the US Postal Serviceimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OPA

I had no idea that eBay purchased either Pitney Bowes or the US Postal Serviceimage

OPA, please explain to help me better understand this comment keeping in mind that when I create a shipping label via eBay it says "Your eBay Discount (X%): $X.XX"

It does not say "Your Pitney Bowes or the US Postal Service". Therefore the discount, or lack thereof now is from eBay cutting the discount, not Pitney Bowes or the US Postal Service.

So please help me understand why you would ignorantly comment on something you clearly know nothing about.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree with POM. eBay's scaling move cost seller more out of pocket within the first class band.
    What they giveth, they taketh as their profits shrinketh

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Suggest that both of you, trot to the P.O. and purchase your shipping labels there. That should give you some idea of who is taking whom. The electronic rate is also applicable to those that use "stamps.co

Suggest both of you peruse the official PO price ratePostal rates effective Jan 17, 2016 and scroll down to:
    First-Class Package Service
  • Options
    sell your 1 oz. items in lots of two, three or more and pay the same shipping as you would with a single item.

Adapt to things you cannot change; make them work for you.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

If you are a top rated seller then you should be shipping free so you get the discount on shipping FVF . Anyway , you get a bump in best match for free shipping I think so that would get more eyeballs on you stuff .

The difference between lookers and tire kickers are stubbed toes.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    sell your 1 oz. items in lots of two, three or more and pay the same shipping as you would with a single item.

What he said; 0-8 oz is $2.60 but you can now ship first class up to 15 ounces whereas it used to be 13 ounces. Also flat rate priority mail envelope has dropped to $4.90. It sucks but not that bad. I ship floor standing speakers for free so if you are crying about shipping going from $2.10 to $2.60 it sounds like a first world problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: USASoccer

What he said; 0-8 oz is $2.60 but you can now ship first class up to 15 ounces whereas it used to be 13 ounces. Also flat rate priority mail envelope has dropped to $4.90. It sucks but not that bad. I ship floor standing speakers for free so if you are crying about shipping going from $2.10 to $2.60 it sounds like a first world problem.

First I'm angry, now I'm crying. Unbelievable! IT'S SIMPLY A FACT OF WHAT HAPPENED, THAT'S ALL. It's called, a discussion on a message board.

I don't see what you're saying about a flat rate priority mail envelope has dropped to $4.90. It's $5.60 w/o insurance or signature conf..
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

First I'm angry, now I'm crying. Unbelievable!

Maybe it's your choice of avatars, which make you seem unbalanced

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Originally posted by: Baley

First I'm angry, now I'm crying. Unbelievable!

Maybe it's your choice of avatars, which make you seem unbalanced

Maybe it's your interpretation of what you think you know about me?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's an election year.
  • Options

• Options
    Sounds like eBay is addressing the less than 3 oz rate issue with the USPS. "For First Class Package from 1-3oz, the prices at retail are currently less expensive than on eBay labels. This is something we are
    actively working on addressing within our tool." BTW...$2.60 vs $2.54
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

OPA, please explain to help me better understand this comment keeping in mind that when I create a shipping label via eBay it says "Your eBay Discount (X%): $X.XX"
    It does not say "Your Pitney Bowes or the US Postal Service". Therefore the discount, or lack thereof now is from eBay cutting the discount, not Pitney Bowes or the US Postal Service.
    So please help me understand why you would ignorantly comment on something you clearly know nothing about.

What kind of discount do you get when you go to the post office?

Where do you feel the discount from eBay was coming from? do you feel it was a rebate on final value fees eBay charged on shipping? or a lower fee USPS charged them for high volume sales?

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    The discount is from the USPS charging less to eBay for the volume generated.

The discount originates from USPS but is administered through eBay.

My 2 cents.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

Sounds like eBay is addressing the less than 3 oz rate issue with the USPS. "For First Class Package from 1-3oz, the prices at retail are currently less expensive than on eBay labels. This is something we are

I'm sorry to have to correct you publicly, but 3 oz was $2.04, now it's $2.60. Still not too big of a big deal for a small timer, just pass the cost along to the buyer...but percentage wise, it's an enormous increase....and for what? it's just eBay being greedy. The increase is coming from eBay, not the USPS. There was a USPS increase, but eBay's commensurate increase is significantly more.

On the USPS side of the increase, how is it justified when fuel costs for them to get things from one point to another is down dramatically?

It all boils down to greed on both of their parts.

• Options

I'm sorry to have to correct you publicly, but 3 oz was $2.04, now it's $2.60. Still not too big of a big deal for a small timer, just pass the cost along to the buyer...but percentage wise, it's an enormous increase....and for what? it's just eBay being greedy. The increase is coming from eBay, not the USPS. There was a USPS increase, but eBay's commensurate increase is significantly more.

On the USPS side of the increase, how is it justified when fuel costs for them to get things from one point to another is down dramatically?

It's apparent you refuse to read the new USPS rates, which also include the electronic rates, published by the USPS and not eBay. Your constant paranoid confusion is tiring. BTW, I've sold a heck of a lot more items than you on eBay, as such, I'm not confused as to the past or present postal rates. You can always use UPS or FEDEX, but you wouldn't like those rates either.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right?

Any time someone charges more for something than it costs them, to try to make a profit by selling, and increases prices because they can do so and still get sales,

that's just simply being greedy, and it's a bad thing.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have great retirement plan, and there are more retired payroll every day.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ready to go postal!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an entertaining thread, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Actually, feepay is screwing the sellers. They have always made $$$ on postage by passing thru only a portion of the gigantic discount they get from the postal circus. Now they have essentially denied the discounts to pad their bottom line.

However, the USPS is still making e-packet rates available for China Post, etc. at rates that are a fraction of what US shippers pay.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ebaytrader

Actually, feepay is screwing the sellers. They have always made $$$ on postage by passing thru only a portion of the gigantic discount they get from the postal circus. Now they have essentially denied the discounts to pad their bottom line.

However, the USPS is still making e-packet rates available for China Post, etc. at rates that are a fraction of what US shippers pay.

Exactly!

BTW, I've sold a heck of a lot more items than you on eBay, as such, I'm not confused as to the past or present postal rates.

Once again, you get defensive when just having a conversation, that is extremely tiresome as well. I will say it again, because apparently you refuse to read what I say in its entirety. Something is different with our accounts then because the figures you're stating are NOT the figures (discounts) I was receiving.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ebaytrader

That is true, if you really want to see even higher fees look to Amazon...Those rates are also up on Amazon, I sell on both. Flat rate priority envelopes on Amazon are cheaper though at $4.90.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a BST post offering stamps at a 35% discount.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Everybody wins! Each one of your opinions is insightful, brilliant and contains truthful elements.

It is clear that each one of you is a winner in life, confident and self-assured as you walk among the masses.

You have figured the game out and I feel blessed that I can share in this vast pool of wisdom.

Loves me some shiny!