Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Club Medalists

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2017 4:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I'm interested in coin club medals, past and present. While I've seen many coin club medals, I'm not sure who many of the medalists are. I'm aware of Dan Carr and Alphonse Kolb. Who are some other ones?

Dan's Moonlight Mint website.

Here's an article on Alphonse Kolb and his Wikipedia page for some more information on this upstate NY medalist who lived in Rochester and made medals for the Rochester Numismatic Association and Syracuse Numismatic Association.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joseph E Dinardo was a New York medalist.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skins we have hundreds in stock. If you need any shoot me a email
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really nice medal Coinzip.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinZip: That's a cool medal. I looked up Hart David Mayer (1914-1998) and he was a coin and antiques dealer in Kansas City, MO. Here's a link mentioning him. Was he also a medalist that made or designed that medal?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: coinJP

Joseph E Dinardo was a New York medalist.

Cool. I think I read up on him a bit a while ago.

Here's a summary from Dick Johnson's Medal Artists Databank:

Originally posted by: Dick Johnson

DINARDO, Joseph E. (1938- ) medalist, diesinker.

Full name: Joseph Eugene Dinardo.

Born Schenectady, New York, 17 January 1938.

Acquired transfer engraving machine, not only does his own models, but also diesinking and striking.

Member: American Medallic Sculpture Association.

Here's a bio excerpt with added punctuation:

Originally posted by: The Times Union

he helped to design the space suit and back pack used in the Apollo space missions. Joe was later employed by the N.Y.S. Department of Transportation in the structures division for 35 years.

Joe studied sculpture and die engraving in Rochester, N.Y. He manufactured coining dies and operated a metallic art mint in Schenectady for many years. He designed and built a transfer engraving machine which was donated to Union College School of Engineering. He was president of several state and local numismatic societies and LM. 714 of the American Numismatic Association. Joe was an accomplished die engraver and sculptor and minted medals since the 1970s. He received a presidential appointment to the United States Assay Commission in 1973.

Here's a list of his medals including the following coin club medals from Dick Johnson. Anyone have photos or links?

- 1971 Albany Numismatic Society Kenneth J. Sartoris Memorial Medal

- 1976 Albany Numismatic Society Medal

- 1983 Long Island Coin Club 30th Anniversary Medal

- 1985 Philadelphia Coin Club 50th Anniversary Medal (obv Gobrecht's Liberty Seated from 1976 medal)

- 1986 Albany New York Numismatic Society 50th Anniversary Medal

- 1987 Great Eastern Numismatic Society 25th Anniversary Medal
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg Franck-Weiby designed medals and tokens (many for PNNA), engraved the dies, cut the planchets, and struck them on a screw press PNNA historical medals etc
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file