Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Powerball, is it worth it? Gold,silver,etc?

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have to drive 45 minutes, one way, to the nearest Powerball ticket vendor. Should I?

I'd sure like a billion to spend on CC dollars...Might just have a nice set!



Anyone here have to drive further??





bobimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at one in 297 million it probably isn't worth it. More likely that you will have an accident driving there than winning image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gazes

    at one in 297 million it probably isn't worth it. More likely that you will have an accident driving there than winning image








    imageimageimageimage not exactly the response I was expecting!!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭
    If it's convenient for you, sure, the dream of hitting it is worth a couple of bucks. Lightning has to strike somewhere. It did for a hard working lower-class couple right up the road from me. $100 million in the bank after taxes.



    Speaking of lightning, you'd probably have a better chance of getting hit by lightning while dying of a swarm of killer bees while simultaneously getting eaten by a shark. But, you're telling me there's a chance.......



    image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only person who has zero chance is the one who doesn't have a ticket. On the other hand, the IRS has a 100% chance and has to buy no tickets.

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    The only person who has zero chance is the one who doesn't have a ticket. On the other hand, the IRS has a 100% chance and has to buy no tickets.


    I would suggest that he's the guaranteed winner of $2. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the odds might not be good but then again ya never know.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

    Originally posted by: Gazes

    at one in 297 million it probably isn't worth it. More likely that you will have an accident driving there than winning image








    imageimageimageimage not exactly the response I was expecting!!






    Keep in mind, I have already bought mine image



  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I do not buy tickets every day, I will buy one or two occasionally.... nice to have

    my name in the hat -so to speak - and someone will win it. Fortunately, I can well afford

    $2/$4 dollars now and then. Yes, gold and silver are relatively secure places to put some

    money... though rarely as exciting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said to a few friends at FUN last week,

    buying a ticket is like buying a Mental Ticket

    to FantasyLand in Disneyland.



    It's the price of admission for you to imagine

    winning it - which is a bit better than imagining

    winning it without buying the ticket !
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg
    As I said to a few friends at FUN last week,
    buying a ticket is like buying a Mental Ticket
    to FantasyLand in Disneyland.

    It's the price of admission for you to imagine
    winning it - which is a bit better than imagining
    winning it without buying the ticket !



    Yeah...I'm actually a proponent of "just say no". I can say with some certainty that I'm NOT going to win. (Nor are you, or you, or that guy over there.....)

    But if someone in the office is running a pool? The heck if I'm going to pass on it, and risk everyone I work with dancing like lunatics around the office while I cry in mine. image

    If you are just taking a shot with discretionary "entertainment" funds? Seems perfectly harmless. If you are spending your retirement funds, and letting your baby go without food? Very stupid.....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    If you won, you probably wouldn't spend more than $50 million on coins anyway.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who wants to be a billionaire ? image

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    If you take a nap instead of wasting your time and money you might have a fabulous dream of being wealthy. That dream will be free.
    AND you will win some real rest.

    Don't waste time on any Lottery.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg
    As I said to a few friends at FUN last week,
    buying a ticket is like buying a Mental Ticket
    to FantasyLand in Disneyland.

    It's the price of admission for you to imagine
    winning it - which is a bit better than imagining
    winning it without buying the ticket !



    I like that... image
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    BrolBrol Posts: 266 ✭✭
    I bought my ticket online. No need to drive anywhere..
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

    I have to drive 45 minutes, one way, to the nearest Powerball ticket vendor. Should I?

    I'd sure like a billion to spend on CC dollars...Might just have a nice set!



    Anyone here have to drive further??





    bobimage




    I was in CA last weekend, so figured I would get a ticket before I left town. On the way back to NV on Sunday, all of the gas stations and other lottery retailers in Baker had lines out the door, and in Primm at the lottery store, the line went around the building.(3 hour wait time the news said.)



    No way I would have made the trip to stand in a 3 hour line.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    I have to drive 45 minutes, one way, to the nearest Powerball ticket vendor. Should I?
    I'd sure like a billion to spend on CC dollars...Might just have a nice set!

    Anyone here have to drive further??


    bobimage


    I was in CA last weekend, so figured I would get a ticket before I left town. On the way back to NV on Sunday, all of the gas stations and other lottery retailers in Baker had lines out the door, and in Primm at the lottery store, the line went around the building.(3 hour wait time the news said.)

    No way I would have made the trip to stand in a 3 hour line.



    I bet the wait times are even longer now at that location since two of the 6 CA tickets from Saturday that had all 5 numbers (but no powerball) were sold near the CA/NV state line. Lots of folks from Nevada seem to be buying! And a couple of them winning image

    I have my tickets for Wednesday night... image
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, bust my bubble Fade to Black!!!





    Now, I've decided to make the trek and buy a ticket tomorrow. So, should I be the lucky winner I will give to every one of you that responded to this thread a coin of your choice up to $14,000. Yep, I think I could afford it..will let you know and don't hold your breath.



    Did I ever tell everyone how I won the Colorado Lottery in 1990 for 1.1 million? I should tell that story someday....you might be interested in what happened after I won.



    bobimage



    Edited just in case....must respond before the drawing tomorrow night. One gift of $14k per formite. I get to do the shopping for your coin (you can help). That is the fun I will get. image
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭
    SO TELL US ALREADY ABOUT YOUR 1.1MIL WIN!!!!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Count em before leaving the counter !



    This morning I bought $50 in tickets. On the walk to my truck, I counted $30 worth of tickets ! The Pablo's explanation ? Oh heres the other $20 ticket - I left it in the machine - just a mistake.



    Uh huh, can't trust anyone for anything these days. Everyone is always trying to run a scam these days.



    But the US Mint ripping me for that 2015 BU AGE was the worst rip so far.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bars I go to that have keno also sell powerball. No lines there for tix.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file