Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My 1960 set in progress

2»

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

One to go and I will have the set complete in PSA holders. Then I can concentrate on upgrades.

571/572
    545 in PSA 8 or better.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Ralph....I currently have some 1960 Topps PSA 8's on ebay if you would like to check them out. Ebay id is truecollector14

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Hi Don. Will do. I have purchased a few cards from you in the past.

Ralph

• Options

One closer to completion.

571/572
    546 in PSA 8 or better.

Ralph

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to upgrade anything I've seen you post! Beautiful cards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

A gorgeous Amoros and very tough card!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 8:14PM

Ralph, Great looking set for sure and you've made some great progress on your it over the course of a year or so. :+1::+1:

Congrats on all your pickups and good luck picking up (#489 Steve Ridzik) the last card you need to complete the set in all PSA and your 2 dozen or so upgrades to complete the set in PSA 8 or better.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

Mr. Brick ....
    Being a 1960 set expert ...
    Just popped a small 28 card lot and one of the cards is a 1960 Ray Semproch PSA 9. VCP shows the last one sold in 2011 so I don't have a good handle of the prospective value. PSA shows 1 of 5, which is low for the issue. I'm assuming the centering is spot on (since I'm a centering freak...). Any help would be greatly appreciated if this is a raw grade for this issue.
    Many thanks,
    Steve

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options

Sorry ....
    Rare (not raw) ....

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options

Sorry for the delay. I've been a bit under the weather the last few weeks. I would think this card in PSA 9 would go for a bit more than the last one. It is an expensive common in 8. If the last one in 9 sold 6 years ago it is certainly rare.

Ralph

• Options

Thanks Brick ...
    Glad you are up and running again.
    Steve

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Awesome thread, Brick.
    While I am not a graphic designer, I would think the set would have come out more visually appealing had they used one color for the name and the alternate color for the team name and position (or even a third color).

I wonder if I will ever get the courage to do a full set greater than 60 cards (54 Topps Hockey and 64 Giants are the only 2 I have tried tackling).

• Options

Agreed. I think the cards were made for 13 year old kids , which is how old I turned in 1960, not adults.

Ralph

• Options

Beautifull beautifull set mr. Brick
    Continued much success.

• Options

Beautifull beautifull set mr. Brick
    Continued much success.

• Options

Finally completed the set. Only took me 20 years or so. How long until I upgrade the final 25? Do I have that much time? Only time will tell.
    572 / 572
    547 in PSA 8 or better

Ralph

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Brick .................Congrats on reaching 100% completion ! Nice looking Ridzik !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ralph,

Congrats on completing your 1960 Topps set!!!

Wow!!! 20 years to complete the set, now that is some dedication. :+1::+1:

Good luck with upgrading the last 25 cards.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    taul166taul166 Posts: 45 ✭✭

Very nice...I marvel at those with such commitment and endurance on a single set.

Do you remember when you started and your first few graded cards from the set?

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I do not remember my first card in the set, but I remember the last. Curt Simmons. Very tough card in 8. One of my favorites is Leo Kiely. Submitted it raw after buying it on eBay. Came back an 8.5. Another tough card in high grade.

• Options

It's been so long I don't remember my first few graded cards. I was collecting 1952 through 1963 and decided to concentrate on 1955 and 1960. I started with raw cards then I purchased some graded which seemed so much nicer. When I purchased some in NM-MT the others didn't seem so nice. I don't expect to upgrade the entire set to PSA 8 in my lifetime (nor afterwards either) I think it is human nature to set goals just outside of realistic expectations.

Ralph

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it primarily major stars that need to be upgraded?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Brick!

I enjoyed reading this thread and looking at the cards you posted.
    Very nice set.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Is it primarily major stars that need to be upgraded?

About half major stars, a few minor stars, and the rest low pop commons.

Ralph

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I have 2 questions (main question plus a follow-up) about the 1960 set. This looks like a good place to ask. This set is my favorite, and I have 4 other years that I like also. Anyway, I have a Clete Boyer card (raw) here in my hot little hands and the yellow is enough off register to see it (maybe 1/16 of an inch.) Also, as I've been following along with this thread, it seems to me (and I would like to check with my loupe) that the Amoros and Ridzik cards have the same problem (since I don't have them in-hand, I may be mistaken, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.) Where I saw it was in the name being off just a hair to the left..

All-right, with all that said, here are my 2 questions. 1. is this a normal problem for the 60's? and Does PSA grade lower for it?

Please don't misunderstand me, the 2 cards I mentioned (Amoros and Ridzik) are still very nice cards. I used to be a pressman and in the printing business for 20 years, so these type of things pop out to me whereas they might not to a person not in the business.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, and comments.

Brian

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 7:35AM

Brian-- I have put together all the Toops sets, including this one and it is my experience that cards slightly off in registration are not uncommon in 50s, 60s and 70s sets. Sometimes the effect is dramatic, mostly not. I am not a graded collector so defer to Don ( Mariner) --or others on whether slight offs affect grading

I collect variations and recurring print defects with my sets and have some more noticeable off registration cards with my 60 set. If you do a search for "Topps 1960 variations... or errors" on eBay you can usually find some.

Don't know if you participate on Net 54 , but on the post war ( to 1980) board there are some print gurus who often discuss the Topps printing processes and how it results in some of the minor and major imperfectionS that show up in cards

Agree with you that the two cards above are great looking cards and you have to look close to see the off colors

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Thanks bishop for the reply. I'll keep researching everything, you gave me some good leads. Still, what is your thought about if I send in my 1960 Clete Boyer. Do you think PSA (or any of the graders) would lower the grade because the yellow is slightly off register?

• Options

I think Brick or Don ( Mariner ) or Bob ( Bobsbbcards), who post in here or in the 1959 thread in here, and who collect graded cards will eventually chime in on the Q.

Al
  • Options

Thanks again Bishop.

• Options

I don't have the off registration problem on mine although on the Ridzik I do have some small black dots and a small smudgy look on the solid yellow behind his action photo. If your Ridzik is fairly well centered you have a very rare card. I think it would be worth the costs to send them in as they appear to you to be very nice. If only one of the three grade Nm-Mt. it would be well worth it. Good Luck Brian. BTW check ebay listings and compare your cards to those being offered. It may help you see what gets the dreaded PD qualifier and what doesn't.

Ralph

• Options

It's been a while since I have upgraded my set. I decided to go for a couple. Won one. Wasn't even close on the other one.

572 / 572
    548 in PSA 8 or better.

Ralph

• Options

Well, you got a good one, Ralph

Al
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 9:20AM

The Maris All-Star looks like a really nice 8!

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Nice ......Sharp , Maris !!!!!!!! Perfect Centering

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Due to health concerns of both me and my wife I put this project on hold a few years ago. Finishing it in all PSA 8 is a near impossibility. I do miss working on it so I decided to pick up an upgrade of a card I already had in 8. Been a while since I uploaded a pic. I have been trying to figure it out every now and then for a couple weeks. I finally did it on the testing forum.

Ralph

• Options
    MunnymanMunnyman Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Welcome back! Hope all is well health wise. What an amazing collection. I absolutely love that set and the incredible color scheme. How close are you to completion?

• Options

Thanks. I have the entire set in PSA holders. 548 in PSA 8 or better.

Ralph

• Options

Welcome back! Love your set, hope all is well with you. Hope we get to see some more of the upgrades as you find them. Tom

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on such an awesome achievement.
    Just finding the cards is a challenge and nice 8's don't come cheap.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Ralph....it is so great to see you back and updating us on your quest for your 1960 Topps set. You have acquired some great cards. I hope that all is much better on the health front for you and your wife. My best to both of you.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

I picked up another upgrade. Already had it in PSA 7 which I thought was undergraded.

572 / 572
    549 in PSA 8 or better

Ralph

• Options

Nice Maz!!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

My 1960 graded set is at 78% all PSA 8's, 8.5's, and 9's. Took me 14 years to finish my set but finally did a couple weeks ago, my raw cards are very nice. It's VERY hard to get all the cards in the grade you want or the ungraded in NM or better condition. Have any doubles in PSA 8 or better Brick? What's the last graded cards you need?

Jim

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job Ralph! You have a good eye for quality. 1960 is a tough, tough set to find solid 8s and better, especially the rookies due to the common black print spots that are present on a majority of the copies that were printed. I'm currently ranked #61 at 78.15% completion. I need 125 plus 75 upgrades, not counting weak 8s that need to be improved. So a long way to go. Do you have all the key stars/HOFers in 8 already?