Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern or Contemporary Hobo Nickel

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

were u in indiana when you saw/bought this.

mere curiosity.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say modern, with the understanding that it could be 20 years old.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My evaluation is modern.... out of the many of this type of hobo nickles I have seen,

this one is different - the hair and the coat... different in a manner I have not observed

on any others. That being said, I am not an expert...just someone who likes hobo's and

have studied many. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    HobosapianHobosapian Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    Definitely an older one. Note the green pvc/dirt in the cuts, as well as the crude use of tools. This coin is a combination of knife cuts, chisel cuts, and a knurling tool. While the skill isn't there, it's very unusual for liberty to be altered in any way; in this case, to say Ike. Nice average to slightly below average quality carving. Furthermore, no modern carver is wasting a full horn buffalo nickel on a coin that would be considered crude by modern standards. Definitely an old one. Nice pickup.
    Chris Dempsey
    Dempsey & Baxter Rare Coins
    6032 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris.... You are far more knowledgeable in this area than I am... I appreciate

the analysis.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Whatever it is...it is neat! Does PCGS slab these? (Semi joking lol).
    Avid Collector of Early US Type Coins.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its different thats for sure
  • Options
    HobosapianHobosapian Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    Lol, no, PCGS/NGC don't certify hobo nickels, however, the Original Hobo Nickel Society does certify them. For information visit http://www.hobonickels.org. That should get you the info you seek. If you have others though, I can give you info on them. I am kind of an expert in this field of collecting. image

I am in the process of updating the OHNS site, so a few links may not be working. Any issues should be corrected very soon.
    Chris Dempsey
    Dempsey & Baxter Rare Coins
    6032 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file