Coin is very thin

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Lamb" coinage of Nuremberg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a German jeton out of the shops of LAUER in Nuremberg. It was not struck in 1692. Most of the Lauer "Spiel Marke" pieces were struck in the early to mid-1800s (19th century). It is probably indexed in one of the Jeton works, but I do not have any of the references.

I also posted the same reply to your post in the World Coin area...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A jeton modeled after a 17th century gold ducat

http://images.goldbergauctions...sale=46&lot=634&lang=1
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin... any story behind the date used? Was it just produced as a copy?

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Cool coin... any story behind the date used? Was it just produced as a copy?

Cheers, RickO

Jetons were used for various purposes, such as adding sums in non-decimal monetary systems, with the subset of "Spiel Markes" (translation "play money") generally being used to keep score in card games. Think poker chips, though not necessarily for poker.

Nowadays if you are playing pinochle or bridge you keep score on a pad of paper. Back in the early to mid 19th century paper was an expensive luxury, so you used reusable "game counters" to keep score.

No idea if the date was significant. Could just have been the date on the coin used as the model.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file