Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps rack pack

Comments

• Options
    I think I will invest in Christmas racks. I saw some cool 1979 Topps Xmas racks on eBay. The cards are real, the packs are a fraud. If you do buy it there is zero value in the pack, cards only.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    What makes you say that? I see these things going for 1k-1.5k on eBay ... Instead of saying what a fraud, how bout explain why?
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Geez, $1,400 per?! An investment in a more professional looking website and spell check could do wonders for these guys.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Hmm...what do I do with these cool Christmas Racks I make? Sell 'em through PWCC. Hmm...what do I do with my Christmas Racks now that PWCC won't sell 'em for me? Ah-ha!
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PGAprocollector

What makes you say that? I see these things going for 1k-1.5k on eBay ... Instead of saying what a fraud, how bout explain why?

There is about a 99.99999999999% chance that these "1952 rack packs" were made in the last few months. If there were any chance that these were legitimate packs someone would buy all 400 for $560,000 and make a heck of a profit.

James
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    They're fake. It's not 99.99%. It's 100%.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Universal Treasures has released 400 unopened rack packs of 1952 topps. One has a Mantle on top that looks perfect. There's 3 on the top that are visible and three and the back that are visible. Then 6 in the middle that you can't see ... Imagine opening this up and seeing the 52 topps Mantle in an unopened pack. Imagine hitting a Jackie or Matthews or any of the other big boys in the set. I have a 52T Mantle PSA 5 but would die if I pulled this one. I'm sending the link for you all to check it out ... But just imagine? A 52 Topps rack pack with the element of the unknown of the non visible cards. I'm gonna make this purchase I believe ... But comments and opinions are welcome. Check out the link to the rack pack ...

52 topps rack pack

hmmmmm--who exactly are you. 25 posts in 5 years. A valued member of the community? now here trying to peddle fake stuff. You should go for it--get them all in fact. Most people here know those are compete fakes--best to go elsewhere to peddle them
  • Options
    It's a nice write up. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a lot of them. That being said, you have a 100% chance of losing your a** if you drop 1400 on one. It's that simple. The seller has done their math
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmmmm--who exactly are you. 25 posts in 5 years.

Flat, methinks your math's just a little off.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmmmm--who exactly are you. 25 posts in 5 years. A valued member of the community? now here trying to peddle fake stuff. You should go for it--get them all in fact. Most people here know those are compete fakes--best to go elsewhere to peddle them

I assumed the OP's post was tongue in cheek but you may be right, Manny.

Daniel
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    So they go for about $300-400 at auction.... $1,400 seems like a good deal then?FAKERACK

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    this is the funniest thing I've seen here in a while. Thanks

Hey PGAprocollector, can I put requests in for more racks?? Can you have your guys make me a rack with a 52 Topps Mantle, a 58 Topps Jim Brown, and a 86 Fleer Jordan on top?? I've been looking for one of those for months now
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I know the racks are fake, but how much would one of those 52 Mantle's be worth assuming its real?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: gonzer
    hmmmmm--who exactly are you. 25 posts in 5 years.

Flat, methinks your math's just a little off.

OK, so 25 posts in 2 years, 3 months & 24 days. Ya think THAT'S significant? LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    What a POS product the OP has brought to us. I don't need to explain my position on this but what a fraud this product is.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle
    I know the racks are fake, but how much would one of those 52 Mantle's be worth assuming its real?

The card front looks nice, but the picture is poor quality and you can't see whether or not there is paper missing on the back of the card. Assume PSA 2, if the card exists in one of these boxes.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Universal Treasures has just finished sealing 400 fake rack packs of 1952 topps.

Fixed.

• Options
    Group rip?
  • Options
    Was there a T206 Wagner box topper in there?
  • Options
    Fast forward to 5:00 and this guy begins going off on himself and the product:

Ultimate Treasures
  • Options
    What in world guys? Was all this necassary? I don't live on these message boards and now I see why. So I don't post on here much ... does that mean I'm not one of the cool guys? And to respond to the question who exactly am I? What is that all about? You want my height, weight, DNA sample? I was simply looking for opinions from fellow collectors who could offer insight into this product. Instead I get I get a bunch of jerks and their "I'm cooler than you attitude."
    I've never heard of this company before and I can't find any information online that casts a negative light on them ... all I wanted was some input from what I thought would be some nice people. Instead you try and belittle me ... real classy gentlemen. So I get the point, I won't be purchasing this or any product from that company.
    But out of curiosity, is this how you judge people? From the number of posts someone makes? Before being ripped apart by the one's who were ... pardon my french ... a$$ holes, I thought I had found something interesting and wanted to seek advice from those who collect vintage. Thanks to those of you that tried to make me look like an idiot.
    So to answer whosoever question ... I'm a father of a 5 month old. I'm happily married. I'm a PGA Professional and make a nice living playing and teaching golf. I'm 62% of the way through the 1952 Topps set and yes I have a PSA 5 Mantle. I've completed the 62 topps set but still need to get probably 500 or so graded. But who cares!
    Is this how you normally treat people? I'll continue reading these boards but damn I'm reluctant to post anything ... didn't realize only posting a few times would get this type of negative response. I sincere thank you as I'll just keep reading posts instead of posting anything at all. If I ever have any other questions I know where not to go.
    Stay classy collectors universe!

My 52 Topps Set
  • Options
    My responses have been purely based on the product and I agree that the negative tone toward PGA is not called for. That being said, the tone toward the product is clear - there are too many red flags surrounding Xmas racks to take a leap of faith. The likelihood that the company was able to acquire 400 legitimate ones from 1952 that just so happened to have a Mantle on the front of one of them is nearly impossible.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the venom is more towards the Christmas racks. Lots of people buy them thinking there legitimate.

Nice 52 set BTW
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lahmejoon

My responses have been purely based on the product and I agree that the negative tone toward PGA is not called for. That being said, the tone toward the product is clear - there are too many red flags surrounding Xmas racks to take a leap of faith. The likelihood that the company was able to acquire 400 legitimate ones from 1952 that just so happened to have a Mantle on the front of one of them is nearly impossible.

+1 and PGA -- Congrats on the family, success, and your '52 Topps set. IMO I'd rather have your PSA 5 Mantle than the one advertised by Universal Treasures.

• Options
    Thank you to those of you who didn't try and ridicule me ... just disappointing to see those who went on attack mode. I'm not looking for apologies or pity... I was looking however for some educated input. The one poster who linked an article about these bogus packs was a good read. I guess when all is said and done, I'm glad I went through the meat grinder with those who chose to make themselves look better at my expense so I didn't buy one of these packs. No worries, I'll just put my money towards a couple high numbers instead.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    That is a really nice looking PSA 5 Mantle, OP!
  • Options
    Thanks SOM ... I bought the card when it was worth 18k. It's been a crazy year and a half watching the card take off.
  • Options
    PGA ... I don't think anybody was trying to knock the SH!T out of you. As I am sure you have seen over the past two years, there are some individuals who come on this board trying to promote "crap" thinking the members here may fall for it. Thankfully there are a lot of well informed collectors on this board and it does not work.

Not saying you are one of them ... it's just that there have been so many people trying to sell those bogus Christmas Racks.

If you were thinking about purchasing one and now have decided against it ... look on the bright side ... for a little criticism you just saved $1,400.00!!!!!

Maybe a few of us jumped to conclusions ... but we are just trying to protect the rest of the board members.

If I insulted you, I apologize. I'm sure the others feel the same. Why don't you start becoming active on the boards ... it's really a nice group of people.

That's an AWESOME '52 set you are working on. I'd be interested in seeing your progress on the set. Why don't you keep us updated? You may also want to list the ones you need on the Buy/Sell Forum. There are people here who could probably help you out.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    It's all good and I appreciate the response. I didn't know people come on here and try and peddle bogus stuff like that. And you're right ... I guess I'm kinda glad I got barbecued about it bc it saved me 1400 bucks. I'll start a new thread that will update my progress through this monster of a set and also getting more involved on the buy and sell section where I can try and fill holes in the set itself. It's definitely a marathon not a sprint with this set ... but I love the collection and the chase makes it even more fun. No hard feelings ... just like protecting the field in golf tournaments, you gotta protect your fellow collectors and knowing what I know now, I get that people were just protecting other collectors. Thanks again. Where should I start the thread? Community forum?
  • Options

I've never heard of this company before and I can't find any information online that casts a negative light on them ... all I wanted was some input from what I thought would be some nice people.

How hard did you look for info about them? The very first Google hit for "Universal Treasures" is a link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah6CJw8v0kk

"Universal Treasures Baseball Box Break "Rip Off" 1952 Mantle "Yea Right""

I have never heard of "Universal Treasures" either, but if I had stumbled across that website on my own, I would not have started a thread with the opening line of "Universal Treasures has released 400 unopened rack packs of 1952 topps" and then "...just imagine, a 52 Topps rack pack with the element of the unknown of the non visible cards. I'm gonna make this purchase I believe."

The list of people that have secretly advertised their own item/website on the internet is very long, so excuse me for being skeptical.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PGAprocollector Thanks again. Where should I start the thread? Community forum?

You can start it on this Forum. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of things.

As a general rule, I never fork over 1.4 Gs to someone(s) who can't spell 'Christmas' properly. I'd rather slide fourteen hundies in between two pieces of bread and eat them. Perhaps I'm overly anal-retentive, but I guarantee you this line of thinking will prevent you from ever being royally screwed over by a lazy idiot.

Next, if you bypass the glaring and pull out your shovel in the fine print where all of the interesting nuggets reside, you'll see things like, "Approximate odds of finding a 1952 Christmas baseball rack pack per box: 1 in 1." Really? Now we're approximating after you palpably jammed a one-in-every-box guarantee down our throats more than once? That's because...

...underneath that the following gem appears: "Selection of out of production trading card packs are not guaranteed to include any specific pack, player, pack year, team, manufacturer, or value. Products shown are listed for demonstration purposes only and are subject to change without further notice."

• Options
    Point taken MLBfan2 ... and honestly I could care less what you would or wouldn't have done. Bottom line is that I just got excited when I saw the universal site seeing what I thought were unopened packs of what I know now as bogus rack packs. I'm not gonna apologize for being excited or for not seeing a you tube video. Thank you for your skepticism and I appreciate your input. Is there anything else you'd like to scrutinize?
  • Options

Point taken MLBfan2 ... and honestly I could care less what you would or wouldn't have done. Bottom line is that I just got excited when I saw the universal site seeing what I thought were unopened packs of what I know now as bogus rack packs. I'm not gonna apologize for being excited or for not seeing a you tube video. Thank you for your skepticism and I appreciate your input. Is there anything else you'd like to scrutinize?

Yeah, I'd like to scrutinize the search engine you used that failed to "find any information online that casts a negative light on them".

That's one heck of a useless search engine. I'd recommend using Google instead.
  • Options
    DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    PGA

I am thinking some guys may have been thinking you were "pumping the purchase" of some of these bogus Racks, by talking about them....per your follow up, that is certainly not your position. Nice 52 set. I, too, have a 52 set. I am looking to upgrade to all 5's and 6's. Nice job on the Mantle. Amazing ride for that beauty! Good luck with the rest of your 52 set.

dty
    Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • Options
    I have never heard of "Universal Treasures" either, but if I had stumbled across that website on my own, I would not have started a thread with the opening line of "Universal Treasures has released 400 unopened rack packs of 1952 topps" and then "...just imagine, a 52 Topps rack pack with the element of the unknown of the non visible cards. I'm gonna make this purchase I believe."

The list of people that have secretly advertised their own item/website on the internet is very long, so excuse me for being skeptical.

Ditto......

and My God......How can someone who allegedly has acquired 62% of this set actually think for one bleeding second that this could be legit?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd like to scrutinize the search engine you used that failed to "find any information online that casts a negative light on them". That's one heck of a useless search engine. I'd recommend using Google instead.

OK mlbfan2 ... i hear you loud and clear. Can you be done with the sh@# talking?
  • Options
    Big thanks to billwaltonsbear and mlbfan2 ... Thanks for making me realize why I avoid people like you two
  • Options
    Ok, I'm sincerely asking this question..... How many of those cards in your set did you pull out of rack packs?
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't take it personal. There are a lot of hobby experts on the boards and many do not take kindly to people or companies promoting bogus product. Unfortunately the Internet has a shoot and ask questions later mentality. I would chalk it up to a misunderstanding and there are plenty of board members who will consider you "cool" because you own a 52 Mantle.

I am guessing this is you playing in a tournament. Correct?

Kyle Ingram

• Options
    PGA, I'm with you, it's like that on here all the time, lots of negative people and yes those with higher counts think there more important than others. I've often had thoughts or questions but have failed to ask because people here will attack you like you have some other motive. Just my opinion for what it's worth, these packs are probably fake, I'd stay away. Good luck with your 52 set, beautiful cards, the Mantles are going crazy !
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSAprocollector, in the last few months it seems to be that there are several members that like to "stir the pot". It is happening way too often.

There is a follow up Youtube video posted by the guy that opened the Universal Treasures box. When he was quickly going through the box he missed a 1978 Topps wax pack. This pack was a resealed pack. See the video below.

James

Video
  • Options
    I've only purchased one ungraded card off ebay ... It was a #2 Runnels that came back a PSA 7. My source that I get most my cards from has been upgrading his set from 5's and 6's to 7's and 8's. He's #16 on the current list ... golfmyrtle 52's is his username. He's 99.51% done but missing 311. I traded that 7 for his 6 and the difference was made up by him giving me cards based off the SMR price guide. The rest of my cards have been acquired through auction houses except the Mantle. The Mantle was purchased last June from a private collector when it was worth 18k. But the others - mainly Sirius Sports Auctions, some from Memory Lane Auctions, some from Greg Buss. auction house, I got the Dickey and Hoyt from Heritage Auctions. Also bought many off ebay as well. I have 2 upgrades that should be here by Thursday via Sirius Sports Auctions that ended on Saturday ... upgraded 41 PSA 5 Wellman and PSA 5 162 Crandell to PSA 6's.
    Not sure why my integrity is being put into question but that's fine. With this type of set I guess I can understand why. Anything else gentlemen?
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping the OP would realize they are fraudulent packs. The comments I made were about the packs.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

Anything else gentlemen?

Yes, you should edit your first post and remove the link so that you don't give them any more free advertising.

Also, what's the name of the search engine you used that didn't find anything negative about that company? You've been avoiding that question.
  • Options
    Being a newbie as for posting goes ... I'm not even sure what OP means. If I'm going to be active here I may need a Forum 101 class lol ... what does OP mean?
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Original poster
  • Options
    MLB fan I'm not avoiding anything and I have nothing to hide. The God's honest truth is that I think I used google and if so, I honestly just over looked the first two you tube videos. I think the first one says "RIF OFF" anyway ... not rip off. Again, the post was done with excitement, not any contempt whatsoever. I will edit the original post and take down the link out of respect for the forum and the hobby. I'm amused it has gotten this far though. Will that appease you?
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread escalated quickly. congrats on your set build. Good luck with the remainder. Boards like this used to be a wealth of knowledge, but a lot of good people quit posting for various reasons. Most of these sites are cliquish so just be aware of at going on and all should be fine. The good thing is you were tipped off that these things are fraudulent, so no $$$ was lost.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies