Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1934 - 1958 Lincoln set

I have one and I'm thinking of selling it. The coins are all BU. The greysheet lists the bid for the set at $255.00 w/o the 55/55. This seems kind of high to me when I total up the coins individual retail prices. How would you explain the $255.00 bid price? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have witnessed dealers only offer 40-60% of GREYSHEET BID for common material....and some of that was even PCGS SLABBED COMMON MATERIAL.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is one of those areas where the Grey Sheet price is more like the retail than the wholesale price. With all the emphasis on key dates these days, the common dates have become hard to sell.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would you explain the $255.00 bid price? Any help would be appreciated.

It seems like the Gray Sheet has a "set premium" in some areas. I was looking at a raw 1937 Proof set at the last Baltimore show. The coin graded between PR-63 and 65 just as the Gray says their set bids cover. When I added up the numbers for all of the coins in PR-65, it came to few hundred less than that.

If that's the case I'll buy the coins one at a time. I already have a 1937 Proof Buffalo in PR-66.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices have come way down on 66 red copper lately.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Are the coins raw or PCGS? If PCGS, you can get much more than $255 on Ebay.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers. The coins are raw in a Whitman album.
  • Options
    Since they're raw in a Whitman album, they're probably brown and not red. I agree with the previous responses that you should keep the set and someday find a young collector to pass it along to.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sold a 1909 to 1929 with every coin except the '09 S VDB and '14 D for $250 on Ebay in open bidding starting at $.99 The retail value on the coins was about $500. Someone is going to love their old Dansco album full. I almost felt like canceling all the bids, but…. That would not grease the wheels of commerce, would it ?
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did mention your set was raw, so yes I'd hold onto it. I actually assembled a PCGS MS-66 RD (or better) set from 1934-58 and only lack the 35-S at this point. It is a fun set to do, and you can be picky since there are plenty of nice examples out there. Like someone else has said, the prices have really come down on many of the MS-66 RD's, especially on the 1946 thru '54 P mint run. They were/are tough in a nice MS-66 RD, but not $300 to $500 tough. If you look on Ebay, you can still see lots of these dates with optimistic BIN prices. Think those folks got buried and are looking for some suc- I mean buyer to click on it.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    You got me to take out my set and have a look, it had been a while. Unless you really need the cash, I'd hang on to it. Like the Whitman Blue album too!
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file